1998 Nissan Altima

Based on 487 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Very reliable, good gas mileage, good handling

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, affordable, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad window regulators, manifold gasket."

"Have owned this car for 6 years. Purchased it with 80k, now has 160000k. I'm a retired auto mechanic so I do most of my own maintenance. Engine has plenty of pep and it handles very well for a 4 door sedan! Interior very roomy and comfortable. Doesn't use any oil yet, although I change mine every 3000 miles. I've yet to do anything to the brakes. A few negatives: Front bumper will scrape and rub on even the smallest curb! I must remember this when ever I park. Had to replace the drivers door window motor/regulator due to cheap plastic gears. Just replaced both front door speakers (I like playing Fleetwood Mac LOUD!) My biggest repair has been the engine intake manifold gasket. An internet search reveals this to be a common fault of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine. After pulling the manifold off the engine and checking it with a straight edge, I found it to have a 0.003 warp. Had it resurfaced at a machine shop and reassembled. Now runs fine. Possible design flaw from the factory? Otherwise, this has been a very reliable car. One of the best I've owned. Speaking as a mechanic, I would not hesitate to recommend this car to any of my friends."

God Almighty I'm going to miss this car.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Highly reliable, great engine perf and gas mileage"

"Bought at 160K miles in 2008 and it sputtered it's last today at 340K+ miles. Had to replace high mileage wear/tear engine parts over the last 2 years. When it died on the highway it was still getting 30+ mpg, great pick-up and engine performance and with a rebuilt A/C you could hang meat in the front seat. Great leg room in the front seats. Nissan made a great one with this model. If you find one in the 100K mile range, buy it before I do."

Great buy!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Price was great, roomy, and good on long trips"

Cons: "front end too low for curbs and gets stuck!"

"This car had some problems with the front and rear window gears for raising and lowering the windows because it was the first year for using plastic teeth for the gears--not a smart design choice. When I bought it from Brown's Nissan in VA it came with dry rotted tires--I bought it new! This was not a manufacturing fault! It has been sitting, town and traffic driving and long distance driving. It always starts up and responds well. It got its first replacement set of brakes at 10 yrs. old. It always gets 27-30 mpg and lately with an additive 30 regularly. Lots of pick up and go--passing great and on hills up and down wonderful. It is loaded with trunk items and dogs for long distances and still great mileage. I go at least the speed limit--70+ in WV! Love it and do not want to sell it but my kid needs it. Would buy another if I knew they were made as well and were a hybrid!!!!"

Great reliable car runs like a top.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "VERY RELIABLE HUGE VALUE"

Cons: "NOT MANY FRILLS BUT IT MAKES UP FOR IT."

"This car rode like a dream the engine ran great the gas mileage was awesome. All it asked of me was basic maintanence and it responded great to all repairs i made. it only asked me for 1 major repair in its life time a head gasket that's it! and it ran like new after the repair. Not many frills but i didn't need them i just wanted reliability and i got it in spades. The only thing that could kill this car was Hurricane Sandy, a flood, and i bet if i tried i could've started it. i leased a ford focus out of desperation all i can say is that i miss my altima. ford focus is dismal compared to the altima and it's a 2013. I'll never get anything but a japanese car for as long as i live. R.I.P. MY 2001 ALTIMA I LOVED YOU!"

Mechanically sound, very good car

By on Monday, June 15, 2009

"Never in the 5 years have I had trouble with my engine. I bought it with 71,000 miles now have 170,000 miles. Only needed to change belts and battery, just the normal stuff of maintaining a vehicle. Excellent car."

Great & Reliable Nissan

By on Saturday, April 11, 2009

"I bought my 2000 SE Altima in 2005 with only 50K on it and I haven't had a problem with this vehicle AT ALL. This is one of the quickest 4 cylinder vehicles I've owned. I've only put about 18K on it in the last 4 years and really don't want to get rid of it. This would make a great college car. Nissan added some great items to the SE over the XE (Rims, spoiler, white face gauges, CD/Cassette, ground effects, & moonroof). As a matter of fact the only difference between the SE and the LE is you gain leather seats and lose the spoiler. I'd take the SE everytime over the LE any day. This car has been so realiable I really don't want to trade it in on my new truck. The silver color is one of Nissan's best. Other than the occasional battery purchase (because it sits in my garage most of the time), there hasn't been any maintenance done to it. Knowing Nissan's reliability this car could go forever. I put brand new tires on it and it just begs to go...and go fast!!!"

nice car

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"Bought my 1999 nissan altima brand new with no miles have about 205,000 miles now still running good had some work done in the past but it still ok with me.Had my car for ten years.Will not sell or trade my car at all i keep it until it dies. The best part no more Car Note.If i want a new car i just have my Altima painted which i did twice so it is a new car again to me."

Best Used Vehicle For The Money

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great gas mileage, Nice Looking Car!"

Cons: "Seats Are Kinda uncomfortable."

1999 Nissan Altima

"I have had this car for little over 4 1/2 months, And I love the gas mileage I receive with this car."

1999 Nissan Altima

My Trooper

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Great for road trips, Great gas milage"

"My mom initially purchased the car in 2001, when it has 20,000 miles. I received it in 2006 upon entering college. I first lived in TN, drove everwhere(like college students do), and I moved to NC and it has held up great. Keeping the maintenance up it drives like a champ! I love my Altima I hope to keep it another 218,000 miles."

Best car I ever owned

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

"300K trouble free miles and still running great! If not for the New England winters and resulting rust I would keep it forever. Can't wait to buy another Altima."

Questionable Reliability

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"I've had this car for 11 years. Bought it with 58,000 miles on it. It has questionable reliability. I've had new front brakes 3 times, back-1 time (city driving), new tires, water pump, radiator, alternator, shocks/struts, new dashboard dimer switch (I lost all my lights on my dashboard), new on/off switch for air/heat (it would only work on high) and a new air conditioner. The driver side window is the only window that works and the back, passenger side door lock does not automatically lock. Oil has been changed every 3-3.5K and has received a tune up. The car made it from Chicago to Boston without a problem. All this being said, I still really love this car as it feels very solid on the road.....and probably because it feels so familiar after sitting in it for 11 years."

Excellent Reliability

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Reliability, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Style"

"I have owned this car for 5 years and put over 100,000 miles on it. I have not had one issue with my Altima. General maintenance is the only time Ive had to spend a dime. It is not the best looking car in the world but you can't beat the reliability."

Great Value!

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"Bought it used with about 45,000 miles and now has about 160,000 miles 6 years later. Great dependable car with only minor problems to be expected with age and miles. Still driving it. As good as it gets for a basic family sedan."

Great value for money

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, gas saver, great overall value for $."

Cons: "Interior and exterior design could be better."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

"This is a straight forward kinda car, how you treat it is how it'll treat you in return. I've had mine for seven years now and it has NEVER! NOT ONCE left me stranded. Super reliable, Super solid, it's looks won't get you noticed but with its lack of problems you won't care. Look at it like this... Less money spent fixing it leaves more money in YOUR pocket for other things. Two thumbs way up for this little car."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

I drive this vehicle 100 miles daily.

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "very reliable car"

Cons: "seats are to low for taller drivers"

"This vehicle currently has 177,000 miles and still running excellent. Everything is still stock / original and works including the cold a/c. I will continue to drive it until the engine will not work anymore. i would love to buy a 2013 altima and keep it as long as my 1999 Altima."

BEST CAR EVER

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Peppy, RELIABLE, comfortable, great handling"

Cons: "Back a bit high-if short, backing may be difficult"

"Although it's now considered an older car, you'd never know it! It's been extremely good value for the money, hasn't needed any repairs--only routine maintenance, and is still cute/looks great!! It's also only a 4-cyl engine, but again, you would never know it! This car is very "peppy" and responsive and handles very, very nicely. Even my parents, who both drive luxury cars (Mercedes and BMWs) are impressed by my car whenever they drive it. If you're looking for a cute, reliable, easy-to-care for car--look no further! Seriously!"

Never been better

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have lived in her, taken her everywhere,and always relied on her. there has never been a question in my mind whether I would make it somewhere or not. This is the most dependable car! I am at 275000 Miles now and only this year starting to have to replace something like a oxygen sensor. This is a great car for your money and will last your forever."

Amazing car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Fast, easy to drive, steers great, lots of space"

Cons: "Minor annoying issues"

"The car runs great, the problems that is does have are usually minor. Mine only has 135,000 miles on it. I bought it used and replaced the radiator because it cracked. That was the only serious issue I've had. The other issues I have had include the windows (the motor getting stuck), the air conditioner went out and I am waiting to replace the compressor, the O2 sensors are having an issue, and I have had issues with the security system. All issues are simply annoyances and have nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle. It's SO fast and picks up speed really nicely. I definitely do not regret this investment. It's beautiful and I love it!"

Great car

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "very reliable and fun to drive"

"Have only had to replace the alternator after 132,000 miles. Good fuel mileage, never had to service the A/C! Still runs great. No regrets buying this car."

This car is a workhorse and fun to drive!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Quality of mechanics, great price, great driving"

Cons: "turning radius"

"I bought this Altima new and for only 14k. For that price I didn't expect to get the quality and fun driving experience I have had. When I test drove it performed better than the Corolla or Focus, that's what sold me. Since then the car has been worry free and nimble on its feet. I have the manual transmission. It gets up and goes and has a very tight feel. I have put less than $1000 dollars in repairs over 11 years! (not including basic maintenance). I've been told by a Japanese specialized mechanic that the 1999-2001 Altimas were the best ones ever made... cast iron block. They switched to aluminum blocks in later years. Quality dropped is what I heard."

love this car!

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "easy to get around in and quick handling"

Cons: "locks stopped working a while back. 2 of the 4 doors need to be locked manually now."

"Even with 205,000 miles on it, this car has been very reliable. It drives very smoothly and is even great in the snow, for a small car. I would recommend this car to younger drivers especially because of the reliability and excessive wear and tear you can put on this car. Not the fastest car out there, but it gets you where you need to go, of course with minor part replacements here and there."

Best Car Ever!

By on Friday, July 10, 2009

"I have owned my 98 Altima for 11 years now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have 142,000 miles on it and I have never had any problems. I am about to buy a new car and I am really sad to see this car go."

Awesome Car

By on Saturday, May 30, 2009

"I've had no trouble at all with my 1999 Nissan Altima GXE, other than replacing my brake pads. The seats are perfect for your back. It's roomy and trouble free. It's just a really awesome non-luxury car. It's the best car I have ever owned. The trunk is big. Inside it heats up and cools down pretty fast. The back seats fold down so you can load long extended items in the trunk. The engine is not loud. Well, the speakers in the back window are really lousy though on mine unless the original owner had asked to install the premium sound as one of the options."

great vehicle

By on Saturday, February 28, 2009

"excellent quality, runs great, never any problems. I've had the car for a year, all I've done is change the oil, oil filter, and my air filter. the car drives like a champ, atleast 25 miles per gallon. This altima handles well even at high rate of speed."

NISSAN ALTIMA 1998

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"OVER 130,000 MILES, ORIGINAL OWNER 10 YRS AND STILL GOING STRONG WITH MINOR REPAIRS AND REGUALR MAINTAINANCE, STILL GETTING EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE. MANY, MANY YEARS STILL LEFT. I ALWAYS THINK TWICE WHEN I GET THE URGE TO GET A KNEW ONE, THIS ONE RUNS SO WELL. GREAT HORSE POWER TO CLIMB HILLS EVEN WITH THIS 4 CYL."