1997 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 224 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Excellent Car!

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"I purchased my 93 Altima off the showroom floor in March 1993. I currently have 210,000 miles on it and have recently had to replace only the distributor and the struts on the front wheels. As of this moment (knock on wood) the only other items I've had to replace are the normal items - tires, brakes, & the battery. I hate to think of parting with this car, it has treated me so well. I average 26 to 32 MPG and this car has a lot of power and pick up for a 4 cyl. I sure wish I could clone it!"

Just can't quit!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2008

"My 97 Altima is a true work horse! With almost 150,000 miles on it, I thought it was nearing the end, but my mechanic disagrees. He thinks I can get at least 250K miles from this baby. If you take care of it, it will take care of you!"

Great vehicle

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"This car has my trust. Its great on gas, i can get about 300-400 miles on a full tank of gas. I only have to fill it up about once a month on the account i am a stay at home mom and dont go very far. Very reliable when kept well maintained. Mine only has 77k original miles. I have found that it does not like to keep hubcaps on and that has been my only issue so far."

very reliable vehicle

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"good reliable midsize car for work, school, and for the small family. break down is very minimum ."

Not too bad

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"I bought my car with 74K miles back in 2001. It now has 149K miles on it and needs some repairs. During the 75K miles I have had it, I have had to replace the radiator, alternator, 3 fuel pumps (my car eats them and I normally keep a good amount of gas in it), and other minor expected fixes. It has been a good car for the most part, but currently not working because it needs a new fuel pump (number 4). I'm looking into another Nissan, but something newer and with lower mileage. I do have to admit for the price I paid, it has treated me pretty well. As the miles do rack up it does begin to have its disadvantages. I started having issues with it around 105K miles. I would recommend it to a friend only looking for a cheap point A to B car. As with any car high miles will eventually lead to repairs."

Great Value

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"I bought this car used with 23,000 miles on it in summer 1998. Today it has 150,000. No significant mechanical problems, only in the last 15,000 miles has it starting to use oil about pint /3000 miles, small oil leak somewhere. A/C never has needed work, replaced the alternator once, replaced the serpentine belt once, replaced the CV boots a couple times. Mileage has been 22/24 mpg. Not a luxury car but a handy car - good size vehicle. I love it."

Strong Performer

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Great affordable sedan... it's a no brainer of a buy!!!"

My first car

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"I bought a 97 altima in 2004. its a great buy, very reliable, good handling & very comfortable. minor repairs, but other than that no major compaints. Wish it had better styling. gives me 24-24 on local roads & 28 miles on hwy. would gladly recommend it to anyone."

Was an excellent and reliable car

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"I had a 1993 Nissan Altima for 15 years. Have a first year vehicle last that long should demonstrate the Nissan's value and engineering. I would still be driving it into the foreseeable future if it had not been totaled in an accident. Over the years, it gave me very few problems and mostly required regular maintenance with only the occasional repair (do you expect any car to last for 15 years flawlessly?). For an enclosed cabin, it felt very spacious and comfortable. I truly loved this car and was sorry to see it go."

Always

By on Monday, January 7, 2008

"The good thing about this car is that it is always dependable. I live in NH so the winters get pretty cold sometimes. No matter how cold or how long it sat outside, this car would never not start. Although mine isn't beautiful (missing hubcaps, a big dent, messed up light, tape on the bumper, different front fender) it always got me from point A to point B. It is a perfect first car for someone who doesn't have alot of money to spend on repairs or whatever. I never had any mechanical problems even with the 150,000 miles on it. If it looked better, I would consider keeping it."

Reliable Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"I have owned a Nissan Altima for 10 years and it is still on the road with 220,000 miles. This car has been my best car buy ever. If you take care of this vehicle with regular oil changes, transmission fluids, air filter etc. you will be happy with the results."

Great

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"I love my 94 Altima, speedometer doesn't work so I have no idea how many miles are really on it, it shows 132000. runs great mine is the GXE so it's loaded and I only paid 1,200 for it. Very comfortable, very low road noise, good sound system, only bad thing, the body is starting to rust, I will be sorry when it goes. I did have a problem with it stalling when the engine warmed up, garage was no help so I had to figure it out myself, it was the cam shaft positioning sensor in the distributor, so I replaced the distributor, no more stalling."

Great value second hand car

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"I am using it for the past 1 year, its a real good value for the money."

Decent vehicle, cheap on gas and repairs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Cheap, drives well, good on gas"

Cons: "not the best looking car, noisy if neglected."

"Compared to the repair costs of other vehicles from the same year, this car is relatively cheap. It runs well even while having several issues under the hood. As a certified technician, I can say this is one of the easiest cars I have ever worked on. Some spots are a bit tight to get to depending on what you're replacing/ repairing, but it's manageable overall. The particular altima that I own was totaled before I got it. The entire front end was cut off and replaced, frame and all (you can see the welding marks on the frame) but it still runs fine. These vehicles are also great on gas. $20 in gas will get me back and forth to work for almost 2 weeks. These cars will develop a LOT of rattling noises over time if improperly cared for. Usually this can be attributed to motor mounts being bad and sending vibrations through the rest of the car. The dash on these cars are made of really cheap material and will warp over time, causing even more noise. If taken care of properly though, you can eliminate the noise problems. If you need a cheap and dependable car that can still haul a few people at the same time, this is a great choice overall."

Very nice starter vehicle

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, ride, reliability, comfort"

Cons: "rear seat space, cup holder placement,"

"I just got this 95 Altima in December, but in that time I can tell it will be around for a while. I bought from a private owner who neglected the car and repairs are adding up. Despite the abuse, this little Nissan rides so nice. I am impressed that with all the issues the vehicle has it drives as if nothing is wrong with it. I do not like that I have put almost 2200 in this car in repairs, but that is from previous abuse and neglect. I had to do things like motor mounts, rack and pinion boots, flex pipe,sway bars,and sensors, basically little things that add up but for a 17 year old car, there are no major issues with it. My job is a 32 mile round trip and the gas needle hardly moves afterwards. Even with today's gas prices it is not expensive to fill up($40 will give you a full tank). I am happy to see that it always starts up when I see newer cars on the side of the road. The car is very comfortable and seats are supportive. Backseat space could be better but this is a compact car. I have 125,000 miles I know I can get at least 200,000 out of this car. Thank you Nissan for making such a reliable vehicle."

Fuel-efficient, Reliable Plain Jane at Low Price

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Reason: Repairs exceeded value of car.

Pros: "Reliable, low maint, longevity, underrated, mpg's."

Cons: "Plain looking, no CD player."

"Owned this car between 2008-2013 (currently a 17-year-old car...amazing). Recent resell for $750 after purchasing a newer Nissan Sentra. Bought this car for $2000 (got a great deal) with well over 100K miles and drove it to 187K. True to its reputation, given the Consumer Reports "Good Bet" stamp of approval, this car doesn't owe me ANYTHING. Sure, I had to put about $1,000 or more into it during its last few years of ownership, but the cost of monthly car payments + full coverage insurance would have far exceeded the cost of repairs to keep this old girl bringing me safely to and from work, Mom and Dad's, Nebraska (twice), Green Bay (numerous times), Brainerd and everywhere in between. On the negative side, the CV axle boots are known for tearing and leaking lube, thus damaging the axle, which is about $200-300 repair per boot. This indeed happened and at this point, not worth the repair, as something else will kill the vehicle before anything serious happens to the axle. Got 24-31 mpg in the last 1.5-2 years of ownership. Replaced alternator, distributor, windshield wiper motor, EGR valve in the last few years. Needs a new R front spring, causing that tire to wear unevenly -- again, not worth the value of the vehicle at its age and mileage. Starts every time. Still has some zip in her. Handles corners like a champ. Rusting around rear wheel wells, nowhere else. No special treatment for this vehicle except regular oil changes and the occasional tune-up."

Very Reliable

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

"I love this car, it had wear and tear because it is old but it has always been very reliable and is a great car overall!"

Great low maintenance vehicle

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "Great price, low maintenance, simple design"

Cons: "Basic features"

"I have owned my 96 Altima for 10 years now. I have spent less than $1,000 in other than routine maintenance. Even when repairs are needed the design of the vehicle is so simple the repairs can be done fairly easily by any hack (such as myself). Because the car is 15 years old it is wearing out now, but the Altima will be at the top of my list when I buy again."

Very reliable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"Owned since 02, have over 160k now with only a bad alternator at 140k. Other than that nothing ever goes wrong with this car, extremely reliable. Great car. Had in europe for 4 years, drove in all types of conditions and constant high speeds on autobahn. Now back in the states and nothing has changed with this car. Still runs and drives the same when I bought her. All I ever do is change the oil. Never burns any oil and doesnt even have any leaks. 2.4L is very tough and is in many nissan applications. I've even seen this engine in a kuwaiti nissan van. Little work van with a manual, really fun to drive, would drive circles in the deep sand around our 4wd six passenger chevy truck. Great vehicle although nissans quality seems to be going down a little with the newer vehicles which really seems to be the same with every car manufacturer. Have a newer pathfinder and have had a few more problems than i'd like. Big quality difference between my 97 altima and my 06 pathy. I'd still buy nissan though. So if you're looking for a cheap, reliable, fuel efficient ride, an older altima or newer even is your ticket. Great car, but you can't have mine, bet this car will go 300k with hardly any problems. I really don't even drive it that nicely. I really do wish I could buy american, you know help out America with the economic crisis, but until their quality is equal to that of a jap vehicle, I won't be. Don't have the money to be putting parts into an American car all the time. And yes most of my family has American cars and there's always someone in my family having to dump a ton of money into them. The most maintenance related exspenses I spend on my altima is 20 bucks every 5k for oil and filter. And even my pathy hasn't cost me but maybe 150 bucks for non routine maintenance items which I did myself. My aunt and uncle had to drop 3g's into their s-10 with 50k b/c it threw a rod, and they always have the dealership service their vehicles. But on the other hand they have an old s-10 with 200k and mainly just had tranny problems, somewhat big problems but not as bad as their newer s-10. Gramps has a F-150 and had to take in into the dealership for a bunch of little things, but it seems like it's a monthly thing, and it's an 08. Anyways, getting way off track, altima is a great car, don't hesitate buying one as long as it was serviced like it's supposed to."

Best car I've ever had in my LIFE!

By on Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"My parents bought me the 97 altima as my first car in 2002. It had 58K miles on it at the time. Here I am 6 years later still driving it! Since then I have driven the living daylights out of that car, making trips across three states multiple times a month at one point. The car has NEVER broken down on me or left me stranded! EVER! I LOVE it! In 2005 I had to get new CV joints which I've been told are just a regular thing that goes in older cars. I had to get a new AC but that's because I wrecked it and busted the old one. Even after a car accident that gave it some serious body damage, it started right back up and ran like a dream! I recently had to get a new alternator, but again, we're looking at a vehicle with almost 200,000 miles on it so that's not really something to be too upset over. Overall, I love this car and even as the poor thing has started to kind of go down hill cosmetically, it has been an amazing car and I have absolutely NO complaints. I will most certainly get another Altima when this one dies. Go buy an ALTIMA! I swear they're the best cars ever made if they're anything like mine!"

Best Car You Can Get

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Pros: Reliable, Awesome, Smooth ride, bounces back nicely Cons: Doesn't accelerate incredibly fast My Purple 1995 Nissan Altima is the best car I could have ever asked for. Let me start out by saying this car is my baby. I do not have the ability in my heart to rate it any less than a ten. I bought it two years ago when I was 16, and it has served me loyally since then, and I hope for much longer still. Its pretty good on gas, I generally get about 20-22 mpg, not a hybrid, but definitely not a hummer. It accelerates slowly, which scares me a bit when I merge at high speeds, but I feel like my car is just there to say "hey, I'm car, and I'm here to take you where you need to be" nothing more, nothing less. And he's always delivered on that promise. Twice he's randomly become ridiculously loud when I started him, which turned out to be the exhaust falling down, which I got fixed for free at Maaco each time, all they needed to do was weld the pipe back up. In two years its also twice needed a $200 repair, for a total, minus my car accident, about $500 in repairs put into the car that I got for $1800. I also crashed it, rear ended someone at about 40 miles per hour. My bad. But he took it like a champ, even though police declared the car totaled and towed it to a junkyard without my permission, but when I went to say goodbye and saw him in a pile of used up cars waiting to be turned into cubes, I knew I couldn't let him go. He didn't deserve that. It wasn't his fault. It took about $1700 in repairs, but he powered through it, and he got a brand spanking new purple paint job out of it. Now he looks great and feels great too. He looks like a brand new car, if it were 1995. But that's good enough for me. I've since gotten him some new speakers, and we jam out all the time together. His antenna doesn't go down anymore, but that's just because hes always ready to party. His seats are comfortable and welcoming and offer and smooth comfy ride home from a tough day. He was the best first car I could ask for, and I plan on being with him until either he or I can't go any further in this life. He's made me a Nissan person for life, and a purple car person for life. Here's to you, purple people eater. The best car I'll ever have."

The Ultimate Commuter Car

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I have owned my altima for 5 years now with 236,000 miles and still runs perfect, as good as the day it was born. No signs at all of mechanical deterioration what so ever. It is amazing how well this car performs and how unbelivably reliable it is. The 4 cylinder engine is so powerful, it makes me wonder why anyone would ever want a 6 or 8 cylinder car. Everything still works perfect, still gets great gas mileage for a car of its size (29-30 mpg), clutch is still strong, even the AC still blows cold! Great in the snow, handles very reponsive and predictable. Non-abs brakes work superb in all conditions. Visability is excellent, very comfortable for driver and passengers. I would like to emphasize how rough of a life this car has had and still not a single mechanical breakdown. I purchased this car used from a highschool kid that did not take care of it. The day his parents purchased it for him, he repeatably traveled down a steep hill and pulled the e-brake, initiating a 180 deg turn, and tacked the car to redline, and spun the tires for approximately 150 ft while the car was still traveling backward, and then over 1000 ft forward up the hill, with smoke billowing from the front wheel wells, with the poor engine on the rev limiter the whole time. This was just one example of many, of the extreme abuse this car was subjected to for the first 140k miles of its life. I have owned it for its next 100k miles and also have not been easy on it. I have taken it to the local 1/8 mile drag strip and raced it a dozen times or so. On a daily basis this car sees hard acceleration, cornering and breaking. I have driven this car so hard that a set of brand new 60k mile yokohama tires lasted me 7k miles before they were completly bald. Countless occasions I have brought this car up its top speed of 134 mph in 4th gear and sustained it for several miles, and never an issue, smooth as can be, an outstanding automobile! If this car wasnt subjected to the extreme weather of the north, I am convinced that with periodic maintainence this car would literaly last forever."

Good Commuter Car!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Hub Caps don't stay on"

"I've had this car for 9 years and am in it often - it's been on a few road trips and has done great! Comfortable to drive, minimal issues that have needed attention. Only cosmetic problems have been paint and the hub caps don't stay on. I've been getting 22-23 mpg in town, up to 34 highway. Great commuter or first car."

Awesome

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"This car at 134000 miles is runnin smoothly, on the highway at high speeds. havent had any oil problems or ne other problems. probably the best used car i have purchased"

Excellent!

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I have owned this car for 7 years and have never had any problems with it. It has been a great reliable car."