1997 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 217 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Best Car You Can Get

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Pros: Reliable, Awesome, Smooth ride, bounces back nicely Cons: Doesn't accelerate incredibly fast My Purple 1995 Nissan Altima is the best car I could have ever asked for. Let me start out by saying this car is my baby. I do not have the ability in my heart to rate it any less than a ten. I bought it two years ago when I was 16, and it has served me loyally since then, and I hope for much longer still. Its pretty good on gas, I generally get about 20-22 mpg, not a hybrid, but definitely not a hummer. It accelerates slowly, which scares me a bit when I merge at high speeds, but I feel like my car is just there to say "hey, I'm car, and I'm here to take you where you need to be" nothing more, nothing less. And he's always delivered on that promise. Twice he's randomly become ridiculously loud when I started him, which turned out to be the exhaust falling down, which I got fixed for free at Maaco each time, all they needed to do was weld the pipe back up. In two years its also twice needed a $200 repair, for a total, minus my car accident, about $500 in repairs put into the car that I got for $1800. I also crashed it, rear ended someone at about 40 miles per hour. My bad. But he took it like a champ, even though police declared the car totaled and towed it to a junkyard without my permission, but when I went to say goodbye and saw him in a pile of used up cars waiting to be turned into cubes, I knew I couldn't let him go. He didn't deserve that. It wasn't his fault. It took about $1700 in repairs, but he powered through it, and he got a brand spanking new purple paint job out of it. Now he looks great and feels great too. He looks like a brand new car, if it were 1995. But that's good enough for me. I've since gotten him some new speakers, and we jam out all the time together. His antenna doesn't go down anymore, but that's just because hes always ready to party. His seats are comfortable and welcoming and offer and smooth comfy ride home from a tough day. He was the best first car I could ask for, and I plan on being with him until either he or I can't go any further in this life. He's made me a Nissan person for life, and a purple car person for life. Here's to you, purple people eater. The best car I'll ever have."

Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth

By on Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, spacious interior for a compact"

Cons: "Reliability, gas mileage, seat comfort, looks"

"This was my 2nd car, got it in the summer of 2003. First off, let me say I hated this car and I am so glad I no longer have to drive around in it. I normally like to list the bad things first but I'll start with the good things because it's a much shorter list. The interior was very nice and spacious and most of the materials were of pretty good quality. Not a fan of the faux wood trim but to each his own. The ride was pretty smooth and generally comfortable. Now onto the bad. By today's standards this car did not age well and is pretty darn ugly. Even back then this car wasn't much of a looker. When I sat in the car I always felt like I was sitting on the ground, and I hate that feeling. Visibility was pretty good despite that. When I got this car it was already around 6 years old but from the moment I got it til the day I traded it in, it was nothing but problem after problem. Major stuff too. The worst was when my entire exhaust system just fell to the ground while pulling out of my driveway. The entire piping literally just fell to the ground. I thought the engine was about to explode. One more major downside was gas mileage. Want to know what I got? 13 mpg. Yeah that's right. It was a 4-cylinder and I did not have a lead foot when I drove it. My commute was about 50% city 50% highway during the years I owned it. 13 mpg is abysmal, especially for this car. It's not like I was a Hummer. This was considered a compact car back then. So if none of that turned you off, then sure go right ahead and get one of these. At best it got me to and from work and college. At worst it felt like a ticking time bomb that sucked money out of my pockets for gas. Too bad this was my first experience owning a Nissan, as it may have tarnished my image of the brand for good."

Good on gas, good commuter

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Great commuter car; great on gas!"

Cons: "Basic design, older features"

"I bought my 1997 Nissan Altima almost two years ago, and the previous owners failed to repair many things on the car, and the car also had some prior body damage on it. Overall the Nissan is great on gas meaning you can put $20-$25 worth of gas with today's current prices and it lasts me at least a week or a little longer and my commute is typically 30 minutes to an hour or longer depending on traffic. I had several repairs done on the car like rebuilt transmisson, struts, brakes, radiator,etc. Well now my Altima has been sitting silent in the driveway a week because it looks like now needs a timing chain; that's' major and ridiculously expensive so I'm parting ways now;gonna try to get what I can for it, and keep it moving and get me a much newer vehicle; I've broken down atleast three times this year on the highway and its just too much now to deal with. I can say with all the issues with the car not to mention its got multiple leaks it has been great commuter car and after you fill up the tank,the car rides smooth and fast (unbelievable) for a car this old and again many mechanical issues.I'm really gonna miss it but I just can't bear to look at it sitting all alone anymore.. I would really only recommend this year car and model to people who work close to home not in stop and go traffic, or for college students again not having long commute times just going back and forth on campus or to malls, movies, etc."

Decent vehicle, cheap on gas and repairs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Cheap, drives well, good on gas"

Cons: "not the best looking car, noisy if neglected."

"Compared to the repair costs of other vehicles from the same year, this car is relatively cheap. It runs well even while having several issues under the hood. As a certified technician, I can say this is one of the easiest cars I have ever worked on. Some spots are a bit tight to get to depending on what you're replacing/ repairing, but it's manageable overall. The particular altima that I own was totaled before I got it. The entire front end was cut off and replaced, frame and all (you can see the welding marks on the frame) but it still runs fine. These vehicles are also great on gas. $20 in gas will get me back and forth to work for almost 2 weeks. These cars will develop a LOT of rattling noises over time if improperly cared for. Usually this can be attributed to motor mounts being bad and sending vibrations through the rest of the car. The dash on these cars are made of really cheap material and will warp over time, causing even more noise. If taken care of properly though, you can eliminate the noise problems. If you need a cheap and dependable car that can still haul a few people at the same time, this is a great choice overall."

Very nice starter vehicle

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, ride, reliability, comfort"

Cons: "rear seat space, cup holder placement,"

"I just got this 95 Altima in December, but in that time I can tell it will be around for a while. I bought from a private owner who neglected the car and repairs are adding up. Despite the abuse, this little Nissan rides so nice. I am impressed that with all the issues the vehicle has it drives as if nothing is wrong with it. I do not like that I have put almost 2200 in this car in repairs, but that is from previous abuse and neglect. I had to do things like motor mounts, rack and pinion boots, flex pipe,sway bars,and sensors, basically little things that add up but for a 17 year old car, there are no major issues with it. My job is a 32 mile round trip and the gas needle hardly moves afterwards. Even with today's gas prices it is not expensive to fill up($40 will give you a full tank). I am happy to see that it always starts up when I see newer cars on the side of the road. The car is very comfortable and seats are supportive. Backseat space could be better but this is a compact car. I have 125,000 miles I know I can get at least 200,000 out of this car. Thank you Nissan for making such a reliable vehicle."

Good Commuter Car!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Hub Caps don't stay on"

"I've had this car for 9 years and am in it often - it's been on a few road trips and has done great! Comfortable to drive, minimal issues that have needed attention. Only cosmetic problems have been paint and the hub caps don't stay on. I've been getting 22-23 mpg in town, up to 34 highway. Great commuter or first car."

Very Reliable

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

"I love this car, it had wear and tear because it is old but it has always been very reliable and is a great car overall!"

Great car!

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

"Great car!"

GReATTTT CAR!

By on Monday, January 30, 2012

"I love my car sooo much. They are great cars and very comfortable. Mine is very stylish with leopard print seat covers making her cute. I love driving my car, runs great, fast, smooth,"

i love my car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "great gas mil, great commuter car"

Cons: "suspension, and stock speakers"

"i have had this car for over 11 years and i love her , she has been more reliable then any man i have ever had in my life. I have drivin this car from california to texas twice, then from california to idaho 4 times and she never gave up on me. I have had some minor problems that have just started to appair but i guess after 11 years of driving her i should except that."