1997 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 221 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Decent vehicle, cheap on gas and repairs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Cheap, drives well, good on gas"

Cons: "not the best looking car, noisy if neglected."

"Compared to the repair costs of other vehicles from the same year, this car is relatively cheap. It runs well even while having several issues under the hood. As a certified technician, I can say this is one of the easiest cars I have ever worked on. Some spots are a bit tight to get to depending on what you're replacing/ repairing, but it's manageable overall. The particular altima that I own was totaled before I got it. The entire front end was cut off and replaced, frame and all (you can see the welding marks on the frame) but it still runs fine. These vehicles are also great on gas. $20 in gas will get me back and forth to work for almost 2 weeks. These cars will develop a LOT of rattling noises over time if improperly cared for. Usually this can be attributed to motor mounts being bad and sending vibrations through the rest of the car. The dash on these cars are made of really cheap material and will warp over time, causing even more noise. If taken care of properly though, you can eliminate the noise problems. If you need a cheap and dependable car that can still haul a few people at the same time, this is a great choice overall."

Very nice starter vehicle

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, ride, reliability, comfort"

Cons: "rear seat space, cup holder placement,"

"I just got this 95 Altima in December, but in that time I can tell it will be around for a while. I bought from a private owner who neglected the car and repairs are adding up. Despite the abuse, this little Nissan rides so nice. I am impressed that with all the issues the vehicle has it drives as if nothing is wrong with it. I do not like that I have put almost 2200 in this car in repairs, but that is from previous abuse and neglect. I had to do things like motor mounts, rack and pinion boots, flex pipe,sway bars,and sensors, basically little things that add up but for a 17 year old car, there are no major issues with it. My job is a 32 mile round trip and the gas needle hardly moves afterwards. Even with today's gas prices it is not expensive to fill up($40 will give you a full tank). I am happy to see that it always starts up when I see newer cars on the side of the road. The car is very comfortable and seats are supportive. Backseat space could be better but this is a compact car. I have 125,000 miles I know I can get at least 200,000 out of this car. Thank you Nissan for making such a reliable vehicle."

The Ultimate Commuter Car

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I have owned my altima for 5 years now with 236,000 miles and still runs perfect, as good as the day it was born. No signs at all of mechanical deterioration what so ever. It is amazing how well this car performs and how unbelivably reliable it is. The 4 cylinder engine is so powerful, it makes me wonder why anyone would ever want a 6 or 8 cylinder car. Everything still works perfect, still gets great gas mileage for a car of its size (29-30 mpg), clutch is still strong, even the AC still blows cold! Great in the snow, handles very reponsive and predictable. Non-abs brakes work superb in all conditions. Visability is excellent, very comfortable for driver and passengers. I would like to emphasize how rough of a life this car has had and still not a single mechanical breakdown. I purchased this car used from a highschool kid that did not take care of it. The day his parents purchased it for him, he repeatably traveled down a steep hill and pulled the e-brake, initiating a 180 deg turn, and tacked the car to redline, and spun the tires for approximately 150 ft while the car was still traveling backward, and then over 1000 ft forward up the hill, with smoke billowing from the front wheel wells, with the poor engine on the rev limiter the whole time. This was just one example of many, of the extreme abuse this car was subjected to for the first 140k miles of its life. I have owned it for its next 100k miles and also have not been easy on it. I have taken it to the local 1/8 mile drag strip and raced it a dozen times or so. On a daily basis this car sees hard acceleration, cornering and breaking. I have driven this car so hard that a set of brand new 60k mile yokohama tires lasted me 7k miles before they were completly bald. Countless occasions I have brought this car up its top speed of 134 mph in 4th gear and sustained it for several miles, and never an issue, smooth as can be, an outstanding automobile! If this car wasnt subjected to the extreme weather of the north, I am convinced that with periodic maintainence this car would literaly last forever."

She just won't quit

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Easy price, easy ride"

Cons: "Repair cost, age."

"I call her my somewhat reliable old lady. Minus a few major fixes (Seeing as the car is almost 20 years old, it's to be expected) this car has been nothing but amazing. Good gas mileage for a 1990's decade car, wonderful driving, just overall a good car. Just be prepared to sink some money into routine maintenance, and wear and tear repairs. I replaced the fuel distributor at 250k miles, and radiator at 270k. As I said, this old lady just keeps chugging."

Good Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"This is a really great car! It wont stop running i swear! i recently went into a ditch because of a serious ice storm in the midwest and my car was pulled out (front end in ditch) and it just went right along without any problems. This car does have a slight tendency to lose hubcaps but i found a set that stays on nicely... Never had any major mechanical problems and this thing runs like a tank! great car for teens, although the styling is a bit outdated, what can you expect from 1994?"