1996 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 221 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Best car I've ever had in my LIFE!

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"My parents bought me the 97 altima as my first car in 2002. It had 58K miles on it at the time. Here I am 6 years later still driving it! Since then I have driven the living daylights out of that car, making trips across three states multiple times a month at one point. The car has NEVER broken down on me or left me stranded! EVER! I LOVE it! In 2005 I had to get new CV joints which I've been told are just a regular thing that goes in older cars. I had to get a new AC but that's because I wrecked it and busted the old one. Even after a car accident that gave it some serious body damage, it started right back up and ran like a dream! I recently had to get a new alternator, but again, we're looking at a vehicle with almost 200,000 miles on it so that's not really something to be too upset over. Overall, I love this car and even as the poor thing has started to kind of go down hill cosmetically, it has been an amazing car and I have absolutely NO complaints. I will most certainly get another Altima when this one dies. Go buy an ALTIMA! I swear they're the best cars ever made if they're anything like mine!"

Very reliable

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"Owned since 02, have over 160k now with only a bad alternator at 140k. Other than that nothing ever goes wrong with this car, extremely reliable. Great car. Had in europe for 4 years, drove in all types of conditions and constant high speeds on autobahn. Now back in the states and nothing has changed with this car. Still runs and drives the same when I bought her. All I ever do is change the oil. Never burns any oil and doesnt even have any leaks. 2.4L is very tough and is in many nissan applications. I've even seen this engine in a kuwaiti nissan van. Little work van with a manual, really fun to drive, would drive circles in the deep sand around our 4wd six passenger chevy truck. Great vehicle although nissans quality seems to be going down a little with the newer vehicles which really seems to be the same with every car manufacturer. Have a newer pathfinder and have had a few more problems than i'd like. Big quality difference between my 97 altima and my 06 pathy. I'd still buy nissan though. So if you're looking for a cheap, reliable, fuel efficient ride, an older altima or newer even is your ticket. Great car, but you can't have mine, bet this car will go 300k with hardly any problems. I really don't even drive it that nicely. I really do wish I could buy american, you know help out America with the economic crisis, but until their quality is equal to that of a jap vehicle, I won't be. Don't have the money to be putting parts into an American car all the time. And yes most of my family has American cars and there's always someone in my family having to dump a ton of money into them. The most maintenance related exspenses I spend on my altima is 20 bucks every 5k for oil and filter. And even my pathy hasn't cost me but maybe 150 bucks for non routine maintenance items which I did myself. My aunt and uncle had to drop 3g's into their s-10 with 50k b/c it threw a rod, and they always have the dealership service their vehicles. But on the other hand they have an old s-10 with 200k and mainly just had tranny problems, somewhat big problems but not as bad as their newer s-10. Gramps has a F-150 and had to take in into the dealership for a bunch of little things, but it seems like it's a monthly thing, and it's an 08. Anyways, getting way off track, altima is a great car, don't hesitate buying one as long as it was serviced like it's supposed to."

Awesome

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"This car at 134000 miles is runnin smoothly, on the highway at high speeds. havent had any oil problems or ne other problems. probably the best used car i have purchased"

Excellent!

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I have owned this car for 7 years and have never had any problems with it. It has been a great reliable car."

i love my car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "great gas mil, great commuter car"

Cons: "suspension, and stock speakers"

"i have had this car for over 11 years and i love her , she has been more reliable then any man i have ever had in my life. I have drivin this car from california to texas twice, then from california to idaho 4 times and she never gave up on me. I have had some minor problems that have just started to appair but i guess after 11 years of driving her i should except that."