• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,518 - $25,215.

10/6.0

Based on 14 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

9.8/10

Excellent value and overall vehicle

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Value, quality, warranty, space, engineering"

Cons: "Need to keeps RPM up to get a lot of power"

"I had a prior relationship with the dealer from when they sold SAAB cars so I wanted to check out their new line. Very glad I did, traded my 9-7X SUV for a Outlander GT 4 x 4 and really like the car a lot. It does everything you need and continues to surprise me with it's engineering quality. I am averaging 24 MPG without using ECO mode and I don't drive to save fuel so I bet 26-28 is possible. The room is better than expected, lots of headroom, sunroof is nice, and leg room is great. At first it makes you feel like it's not powerful enough to make it fun to drive but I have learned it's actually very fast if the RPM's are kept up a little. Kind of like riding a sport bike vs. a v-twin, just a different type of motor. Initial quality has been great, no issues to report after a month and 3000 miles. It's hard to beat the vehicle, warranty, and price paid. If anyone is looking for a small to midsize SUV/crossover they should take a look that the Outlander before they buy another brand."

First Mitsu - In love with it

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Untrendy design - Great Gas Mileage - Quality"

Cons: "Nav & Stereo limited when driving"

"I've owned a Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Scion and a couple of Kias - this is my favorite car to date. I was originally looking at the Forester, but I just couldn't get past the fact that it looks and feels less like an SUV than a car - and I wanted something "trucky". I hadn't thought of Mitsubishi and before going to the Subaru dealer, checked out their website and saw the Outlander. Love the design - it's sleek and sporty and compared to most of the competition these days, with designs that are nice but trendy, this vehicle's looks will still look good 5-10 years from now. I have the SE, AWD with every feature. The 4 cylinder and CVT are actually awesome - it's not some 700hp monster, but I've never had any problem going as fast as I want to. Handling is great, gas mileage is great (avg 27mpg). Third row is small, but I wanted something where I could drive a couple of extra people to the movies now and then -nothing more - and it works. Adults wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of hours back there, but that's typical for the compact class with third rows. The 710 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo is literally amazing. Turning up the bass turns the seats into massage chairs! (no charge feature people!) Literally my only complaint is that you can't use all of the features of the electronics system when you are driving. In my opinion, if they can tell that someone is sitting in the passenger's seat to determine whether or not to activate the airbag - they should be able to allow the passenger to use those features, even when the car is in motion. I know this isn't Mitsu's fault, but the over-protective lawyers who have to prevent us citizens from lodging extraneous court cases when we wreck our cars while distracted by the stereo.... That's it - love it. Definitely recommend this car - and this will likely not be the only Mitsubishi I buy."

Loving my choice

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "great price, seating for 7 and good MPG"

Cons: "Does not have fast acceleration"

"I was in need of a new vehicle. I researched for about 2 years before finally making a choice. When I originally began looking I really wanted the Mazda Cx-5. However, in the meantime had a child. I tend to keep my vehicles for a longtime and thought having the ability to seat 7 could be very convenient for me. So therefore, I started at looking at SUV's that seat 7. Gas mileage and price were major factors for me. I looked at the Dodge Journey but was concerned about the increased price (3rd row is optional) and lower gas mileage. I have owned several Mitsubishi's over the years and they have always been my favorite vehicles. It did not take me long after seeing the 2014 Outlander in person to decide to purchase it. My only regrets are not getting Sirius and Navigation. I initially wanted to go cheap and get a base model but was offered a wonderful deal on my car and it was cheaper than the base model blue I originally wanted. Some of the features that I would not have anticipated liking or relying on so much are the push start and back-up camera. The car does not have fast acceleration ability, especially with eco mode on but I have drove vehicles with much worse. It is able to get out in traffic when needed. Additionally, when the 3rd row is up there is no room in the cargo area. I would consider getting the luggage rack option if you plan on using the 3rd row frequently and will need to also carry stuff."

Bought brand new after trading in my '07 Outlander

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

"Lots of premium options for the price i got,comfort and cargo area is great when i fold down the 3 seating area.The leather heated seats are primo! Got all the bells & whistles for 22,000.Sticker price was listed at 31,000.Got a great trade in on my '07 Outlander.Gas milage is around 28mpg's or more.The moon roof opens pretty wide,navigation is a plus especially when i back up and it shows a wide angle so i don't hit anything.I'm pleased!"

Like so far

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Warranty, options"

Cons: "Too many electronics"

"I have only owned this for 2 months, 1250 miles. In the last 18 months have owned 2012 Camby, 2013 Escape, 2013 Rav4 & this Outlander. Loved my Escape, but lousy mpg (22). Believe or not but the Rav4 got the best mileage at 27.5, just praying Outlander does that or better, if so I would never trade it. The Rav4 cut out on me 3 times doing over 70, so I went with the OL. Love the warranty, love the highway drive and all the options. Just don't care for all the eletronics!! I like guages much better. Have gotten anywhere from 24 to 29 mpg, but this car is a keeper!!"

After snowy winter, all is good.

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, Body Integrity, excellent A/C & Heat"

Cons: "Can not adjust Navigation functions when moving"

"Excellent in snow. First Outlander I owned that did not nick the sides from salt and cinder. Good on gas. 26 MPG country road driving. 28-30 highway. After 12K just normal maintenance needed."

Enjoying My Outlander

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Good visibility, lot of bang for the buck"

"Looked at a couple of suv's. Went with the Outlander and have not regretted it for a minute. the CVT transmission is smooth, the engine (4cyl)has ample power and it is a joy to drive! Don't know what the big fuss is over the second row seat, it's really not that bad. Different but not necessarily bad. Getting about 28 mpg which is about what I expected. Recommend that anyone who is looking at a RAV4 or CRV check out the Outlander for thousands less. In this case, paying less does not mean that you get lower quality."

Great vehicle, would recommend

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Bad design in 2nd row folding (or lack of)"

"So my wife and I drove every midsized vehicle out there when shopping and it came down to this or the Kia Sorento. We chose the Outlander and we have been very happy with just a few cons. First the good. 1: Excellent mpg for class of vehicle. Averaging 25mpg mixed and on trips we have gotten 29-30mpg consistently. 2: Smooth quiet ride. Not a 10/10 but I was very impressed on how quiet rode and engine noise was. Also very smooth shifting with CVT transmission, barely know its shifting. 3: Good pep when not in ECO mode. I have found that in ECO mode you get a few mpg back but I don't like it when driving because there is a lag in acceleration, nice feature though. 4: Has been very reliable and absolutely no issues yet with performance and almost at 10k. 5: Amazing warranty options for vehicle 100k/10years power train standard and we paid $1200 more to bump bumper to bumper from 60k/5years to 100k/10years. 6: Really good 2nd row legroom, adults can easily fit compared to most vehicles we drove. 7: 3rd row is nice for convenience of hauling extra small kids (no adults though), also with 3rd row down trunk space is very spacious. 8: Love the dual air, makes for happy wife and me at same time, also dash and front layout is very clean and well done. 9: Nice to have rear view camera and HD radio (standard with SE) 10: Handles really well and love the feel of the vehicle on the road on trips, front seats are very comfortable for long trips. (We have done several already as we have only had vehicle for 7 months). 11: As someone else mentioned, I also do a lot of my own vehicle maintenance/work and the engine compartment and layout is impressive. The most roomy and spacious/well laid out that I have seen. Absolutely no complaints. 12: Have already driven in 3 snowstorms (6"-1foot snowfall) and I have been very impressed at handling (we only have 2WD), no complaints, haven't gotten stuck yet. The cons: (not many) 1: As someone else said, it is a shame that they didn't include better cargo space in car, and the trunk space in width is a little awkward for packing suitcases (can't fit 2 full sized suitcases side by side). If only it was 2-3" wider. 2: Don't mind the tire on underside myself because it would give more trunk space, yet they didn't give more trunk space.....high in the back. 3: Finally...the 2nd row seats don't fold down, they only fold forward and slide forward... so you do increase trunk space by like a foot or so but you have a really awkward 2nd row that is slid forward and not flat...very annoying and didn't notice it or was shown it at the dealer. Figured it out on first trip 1 month later. *FAIL* Overall, really really happy except #3 on cons. I would buy again and we love it overall. We have fit 5 adults and 2 kids in it very comfortably, but you don't have much trunk space at that point so would recommend roof rack for trips if you are going to drive full of passengers. Hope this helps! My personal opinion after the research I done is that it is the best in its class for mid $20k price range."

As good as much more expensive cars

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun, fuel efficient car, great for hauling"

Cons: "Seat folding complicated, premium recommended."

"This is a lot of car for very little money. Even base GT provides lots of bells and whistles usually found on much more expensive cars/expensive add on packages (backup camera, dual zone AC, rain sensing wipers, all wheel drive, paddle shifters, automatic high power headlights, and keyless entry and engine start). Most important, its fun to drive. High driving position, solid road feel, and unlike many others, virtually no blind spots, thanks to great window design and huge outside mirrors. It has a fantastic instrument panel, one of the clearest and most easily readable I've ever seen. Appearance and powertrain are clearly optimized for gas milage but results speak for themselves (much better than other V6 cars, esp. considering AWD, 23 mixed, seen up to 27.7 on highway). Nonetheless, car accelerates fast and effortlessly. Its solid construction feels very capable of handling pretty much anything and it has much better load rating (GVWR) than others of its size. Thanks to being able to move the second row seats, third row seats are handy to have and 5-6 people have a lot of space and comfort. More importantly, seats fold flat. The suspension absorbs competently minor bumps while still maintaining a solid feel for the road. 18" alloy tires for better road grip, over 8" ground clearance, super small turning radius, very roomy inside, even at my 6'4", unobtrusive placement of the 12V outlets and proven reliability track record backed with 5-10 year warranties. We were checking out the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and test driving a Subaru Outback (very similar in most aspects but feels essentially designed as a passenger car, less capability for hauling loads), Ford Escape (great car, but more expensive, feels more complicated and still unproven reliability) and Ford Flex (great car, more space but not nearly as fuel efficient and ended up being to pricey for us). I feel the car combines many of the best aspects of all of them for less money."

Exceeds Expectations

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Excellent actual MPG, smooth/quiet engine & CVT"

Cons: "More interior colors! (ES)"

"Shopped around for a mid-size SUV with an emergency 3rd row. Wanted 3rd row for those special occasions (backup) and at the same time, excellent MPG. Test drove a few SUVs - only two came up on the short list - the 2014 Rogue and Outlander. Rogue was in short supply - dealers would not call me back. Mitsu dealers were very accommodating. As far as what I wanted and what I was expecting, this exceeds what I wanted. Plus, I got a 100K powertrain etc. warranty - built in. Having owned only Japanese cars in the past, reliability was very important - and Mitsu has been reliable for me. Actual MPG has been 27 combined, 32 highway. Interior is very quiet, CVT is very smooth. I do wish they had more interior colors - and more LED lights inside. There is a dark spot near the 12V port. The auto-temp AC is a great plus - so are the fog lights and bluetooth connectivity which came standard on my ES"

test drive

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "YOU GET A LOT FOR THE MONEY"

Cons: "LIKE DRIVING CAR FROM 90s .NOT LONG FOR USA ."

"FRONT SEATING AREA VERY GOOD= DRIVES OK=PUTTING DOWN REAR SEATS A JOKE, EVEN SALES PERSON DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT =3RD SEATS A BIGGER JOKE AND THOSE 3RD SEAT HEAD REST ? YOU GET A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY BUT WILL IT STILL BE IN THE USA AFTER 2014 ? NO THANKS ! TESTED ABOUT 6 SMALL SUV'S= BUYING A SUBARU FORESTER"

Comfortable, quiet, smooth

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "comfort, good ride"

Cons: "pep, gas mileage"

"Drove just about every small SUV out there. Wanted a used Murano but gas mileage was a concern. Wanted all wheel drive with decent gas mileage. Thought I found it in this car. So far not living up to its expectations. Supposed to get 29 mpg on highway. Only getting about 23. Hoping it gets better"

Disappointed

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Mitsubishi quality, in-door storage space"

Cons: "Feel on the road, styling, spare tire location."

"In looking for a new vehicle, I test drove this one. As a very happy owner of a reliable 2006 Outlander, I had high hopes for this one. Inside it was comfortable enough, but I frankly hated the new exterior styling compared with other similar crossovers. I saw one in a dealership a couple of years ago where you could just slide your cargo out. You can't on a 2014. And, the spare tire was moved under the vehicle. Not very convenient if you get a flat on a rainy road. I thought it drove more like a truck compared to my much more nimble 2006. The sound system was nice, though, but I found the steering wheel controls for volume, etc. too small and the markings not well defined. I know Mitsubishi makes a quality vehicle, having had three in the family, but I left feeling underwhelmed and quite disappointed in the 2014 Outlander."

Exceptional Value

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, visibility, warranty"

Cons: "Seats a little too firm"

"Been shopping and comparing for a CUV with 3 rows. I am the only passenger (90%) of the time but it is nice to have the ability have the 3rd row when needed. Primary drivers are - 1. Great gas mileage 2. Available 3rd row 3. Highly reliable I whittled it down to the Rogue (2014), Outlander (2014) and the Santa Fe/Sorento. I settled for the Outlander. Impressions: 1. Overall quiet driving refinement - minimal road noise. I do hear the engine (typical Mitsubishi sound - having been a previous Mitsu owner). 2. Exceptional gas mileage - I drive within restricted zones (45-50 mph - 70% of the time). I am getting up to 37 MPG. In the city or highway at 65 mph, I am getting 30-33 MPG - with me as the sole occupant. 3. CVT seems flawless so far. This is my 2nd CVT. I always set it to ECO mode. Will try non-ECO on the freeway. 4. Great price - The Rogue 2014 was higher by at least $3K (lowest negotiated price). The Santa Fe / Sorrento was about $2-3K higher as well. 5. 5 Star safety rating 6. Nice engine layout - I work on my own cars. The Nissan was really tight. The Outlander had plenty of space for me to work on. 7. Reliable - this is my 2nd Mitsu. My first was a Lancer and never gave me a CEL even at 166K. I sold it as it reached 11 years. 8. Outstanding warranty - full bumper to bumper 5/100,000 miles + 10 year/100,000 powertrain warranty. 9. Excellent overall visibility Wish List: 1. More storage spaces - there is plenty of space for more cubbies. For example, a drawer underneath the front passenger would be a nice plus. 2. Built in roof cross rails. The available roof rails/cross bars is a single integrated piece. I don't want cross bars."