2002 Mitsubishi Mirage

8.4

Based on 225 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

Almost 12 and still purrs like a kitten!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Inexpensive and roomy"

"Purchased new in 2000. The Mirage was supposed to get 33 MPG on the highway and less in town. Consistantly for 12 years now, it has been getting 38 - 40 MPH on the highway and 30 - 33 in town. The trunk is huge for a small car, and in 12 years I've spent about $1,100.00 in repairs, and that was a little at a time. The parts that needed to be replaced were original equipment and were replaced at 100K miles. Most of the car is original. I plan to buy a new car next year and after a lot of research I am once again going with a Mitsubishi. (My original choice was Mercedes)."

Great Car!!

By on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

"I have never had any major problems with this car just minor wear and tear. I purchased this car used with 96,000 miles for $3,000. Seven years later it has 230,000 miles and is still running strong! of course I took good car of it changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I love my little car."

10 years and counting

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I bought my 1997 Mirage in 2000 with just over 40k on it. It's now at the 160k mark. All this time I've never had a major repairs, except for a timing belt. I'm now at the point where the struts, tie rod and transmission mount need to be replaced. I'm thinking of paying the costs, because I really feel like this car has a lot of life left in it. This was my very first car. It brought me through high school, college, and now the real world. GREAT MILEAGE. My only complaint was the paint faded after about 7 years - had to get a new paint job. That's it!. Great value. I wish they still made them."

Excellent commuter car

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"I purchased this car from Hertz Car Sales in 2003 with 20k mileage. It was a 4 dr ES model with auto,pw,pl,cd,ac. I currently have 128k trouble free miles on the vehicle. It consistanly returns 33-35mpg. It is much more confortable than the size belies. Excellent visibility. The 1.8 ltr engine is quite and reliable, but the car is slow (tradeoff for mileage). Engine easy to work on, but honestly I have only changed oil, and air filters, spark plugs at 95k, and belts at 115k. I do have the trans. flushed every 35k, because I purchasd this vehicle from a rental agency. The only non-scheduled repair was a blown high pressure a/c hose ( it failed at the flange). Replaced and recharged at 120k miles. This has been an extremely reliable car that seems to fall under the radar from civic, corolla, sentra buyers. Would definitely recommend for first time car or commuter vehicle."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy, reliability."

Cons: "It is a plain jane."

"Best reliable,gas efficient car I have ever owned.looks really good with aftermarket wheels and a aftermarket rally front bumper."

incredible value

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "extremely reliable"

Cons: "not much leg room in back"

"Bought this car with 2,000 miles on it in '98, and have put over 220,000 on it since. Best vehicle purchase ever. Reliable. Bought in Idaho, used it to move to California and back to Idaho again, then to Michigan and back to Idaho again, then to Utah. Has done way more than a car this size should ever be used for. Never needed any major maintenance until about 190,000 when the distributor needed to be replaced."

Reliable, especially for the price

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "realiability"

Cons: "power on acceleration"

"I have owned my Mirage ES since 2001. Bought it with 1700 miles on it and was able to make payments for 5 years at $204 per month. Had full warranty for 3 years/36,000. I have just changed the oil, purchased tires, changed a couple belts, replaced a broken tie rod, changed plugs, etc. No major repairs needed and everytime I have turned over the key, it has always started and got me from point A to point B....exactly what I bought it for. I am going to drive it "until the tires fall off"...only because the resale value is so low. The absolute only thing that I would like is to have more power on acceleration. But the reliability of the vehicle out-weights having power (to me anyway) anyday. I would recommend this car for those that like utilitarian cars rather than status symbols. Very cost effective buy for those wanting a reliable inexpensive vehicle."

It is my Son's car and he died

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "great price, loooks great"

"It is in top condition. I am only selling this because I am too emotionally connected to drive We would like to sell to someone who really appreciates this car"

Like a transformer...More Than Meets The Eye

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "Fuel efficiency, style, and easy to upgrade, low maintenance cost"

Cons: "Subpar sound system, low horsepower, subpar interior"

"I have owned this car since 2002. Mine is a 1999 Mirage DE 4 Door Sedan, azusa green. Wished I had black or white. My first ever, and definitely fuel efficient. The car is very well designed, it has a pretty body style compared to the cars of the same years. It never broke down on me. The interior wore out after the 10th year but it's normal consider its age and sunny weather in California. The handling is good, and still shifts smoothly. It cost very little to maintain this car to optimized condition. However,a piece of advice to young people: do not modify the inner mechanism because no matter what you do you can't do better than the engineers and scientists who went through their whole life learning how to optimize the car. My car was modified half-heartedly because I wanted it to look cool when I was young and the resultant reduction in fuel efficiency and oversize rims increased my annual maintenance cost back then when I was broke as a college student. Use nothing bigger than 16" rims. ;-)"

Itty bitty...

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"My parents bought this car for me in 2000 after high school. It's a 1999, and it's been pretty good to me. The acceleration isn't so great, but gas mileage can't be beat for this car's age. I was a nanny for years and had to have two car seats in the back for kids ages 1-6, that was a pain trying to get them in and out of this two-door! If I wasn't so short, I think I'd have a hard time getting in and out myself :) Overall, this car is great for a single person driving from point A to B. I'd advise another choice for someone with children."

I LOVE LOVE THIS CAR

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

"I bought this car for myself for my 18th birthday it is an awesome car and I never want to get rid of it. I have had the car for almost 4 years now and I have only had two problems with it, one was the timing belt and the other was the computer chip went out but that was my fault cus I tried to jump my car by putting the negative on the positive btw bad idea, but this car is awesome it has survived many trips to Vegas which is about 800 miles from me without any problems. It is probably the easiest and also the most fun car to drive. It's a great first car too!!!!!!!!"

Refuses to die

By on Monday, May 16, 2011

"I have 270,000 miles on it, has never had an engine problem other than the windshield wiper stopped working. The body is literally rusting off the engine, but the car simply refuses to die. Very reliable."

spunky little car

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"We've owned this car for about two years now, Bought it around 70k and soon to clip 6 digits. The cars' styling is impressive for its model year, but interior quality is not so great. The seats tend to become a major issue after hours of driving. I'm 6'1" and the seat does not go back far enough causing back problems after a prolonged drive. However, one must not complain for the fact that it gets around 35 mpg highway at constant speed (70mph). The acceleration is not that great as its only a 1.5L engine, but otherwise is quite solid. In the summer, when running the A/C during city driving, it tends to load the engine alot and is quite noticeable in acceleration. The car has been extremely reliable so far and we are planning on keeping it for the long term. Suggestions for long term reliability: switch to synthetic oil both in the engine and transmission, yes its a little expensive, but it will make up for the continued reliability. Maintain the vehicle properly, that is, change spark plugs, oxygen sensors, coolant flushes, belts/hoses, battery according to the manual and this car will run for a long time."

Great fuel mileage and dependable, so far.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Fuel mileage, price, roomy for two adults."

Cons: "Could use a few more ponies under the hood."

"Bought new in 98 for $10k. Only thing that had to be replaced was a windshield wiper motor. Regular service throughout life with a tune-up, belt change, hose change, timing belt replacement, and new water pump done at the 100k mark so that I can drive it another 14 years. Currently having it painted. Fuel mileage around town is in the mid 30's and highway mileage 40 . Great car and by far cheaper to put money into it than buy a new vehicle. This has been an excellent no frills car."

3rd ive owned love em reliable gas savers

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I have owned three mitsubishi so far and now am looking for another. they are by far the one of the best gas savers save a hybrid, they are small inside but the reliability makes up for that. first one i owned made it to over 300k miles before i sold it and still ran like a champion, very pleased!"

Couldn't ask for a better car!

By on Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, never any major issues, easy to drive"

Cons: "The body hasn't held up as well as the engine - rusted and the rubber door strips have come loose"

"My mom purchased the car new in 2000 and passed it down to me in 2003 when I was 16. It is the only car I've owned and although it's been in a few fender benders, it's still going strong with no history of major problems. I'm 23 now and I still love her, despite the rust spots and minor body faults. I don't want to even think about ever having to replace her!"

I love her!

By on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pros: "Longevity!"

Cons: "rattles a bit"

"My dad bought her about five years ago for $600 and she's been passed down to me for college. I seriously can't get over how surprised I am with how well she runs! I've been driving her for the past 2 years and haven't had a single problem with her. She gets great mileage and I can fill her up on about $35. She's amazing!"

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"very reliable, just regular maint and will last forever."

Runs like a top!

By on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

"Purchased my 1999 DE in October of 2000 and it has run like a top ever since. Regular maintenance has all it has ever needed. I wish the tires were bigger for traction and handling in the snow, but otherwise it great. Mileage varies with driving style - more aggressive gets 30 and total highway miles is an easy 40 mpg. Paint has faded over the ten year period of ownership, but a little rubbing compound on an afternoon followed by a waxing (non-Brazilian) should make it shine like new. The A/C died last summer and not worth it to fix. Purchasing this vehicle for commuting or your freshman daughter is not a bad move."

Couldn't buy it from me!!!

By on Thursday, November 19, 2009

"I drive a new dodge ram laramie and you could buy it before you could buy my wifes 2000 mirage. We bought it in 2000 with 12000 miles. It now has over 140k and its been from ocean to ocean. Best car we have ever owned. Yeah its not a Cadillac but the only repair we have made in ten years was a tie rod end. Not bad for a economy car."

Great Value - Runs forever

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I just traded-in my 2000 Mirage. It had 135,000 miles on it and I had ZERO problems with this for the last 8 years. Bought it new, I was young, it was cheap. But dang, it ran well. I changed the timing belt once and had oil changes every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. My car service guy is now telling me the struts and shocks are wearing/slow-leaking and will need to be replaced within the next 50,000 miles. So that's why I got rid of it."

I LOVE IT

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"I LOVE MY MIRAGE, this is my second car and definitely a step up from my 86 crysler, I have driven several different cars wether it be my parents or my friends cars but my mirage is by far the most fun to drive. I dont nececarily drive in the most gas friendly way ;) but it still gets great gas milage. I have never had any problem with the car and the previous owner never did either. Its small and sure makes college parking easier. GREAT CAR, just wish it was a little faster, i can barely beat my friends stock focus, but none-the-less i love the car and would recomend it to anyone."

Love my Mirage

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I have had this car for 2 years now and have not had a single problem with it, not one!!! I have driven it back and forth from my home town and college and feel safe that nothing will break on the way!!! It is the best on gas, I love bragging to my friends about it's 35-41 miles per gallon!!!!"

Never had an issue

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"I bought this vehicle in 2003 off of its first owner and have driven it almost everyday since, since then I have not had to do anything besides change the oil and get a tune up, definetly get your value for the price. Excelent Vehicle"

great litte car very reliable

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

"interior is alittle cheesy but comfortable"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mitsubishi Mirage near Honolulu. See local deals