1999 Mitsubishi Galant

8.2

Based on 453 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

An OK car

By on Saturday, June 27, 2009

"It’s your average family sedan, so don’t expect 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. It is reliable though and never let me down (yet). Mine is 2001 model - 8 years old now (but low mileage) and it had only minor issues so far: - Busted oxygen sensor, replaced under warranty. It’s an emission control system, does not affect drivability at all. - Leaky coolant hose, replaced it myself with a new one in under 20 minutes as it was easy to reach top one. - Busted windshield and couple punched tiers – but that’s not the car problem. Jack is easy to use but good luck using standard tire iron if you’re a small person (and your tire shop is using pneumatic tools). With 4 cylinder engine it has rather sluggish acceleration and gets scary unstable at about 90 mph – though you would never drive that fast on open road, right? Noise is average for the car of its class with Toyota been the best and Subaru the loudest IMO. Gas mileage is about 22-24MPG combined – which is OK but not great. On pure freeway drive @70 MPH I got 32 MPG – that is not bad at all considering car is rated 28. Interior is OK and seats are relatively comfortable – but it no Mercedes. I like the looks of that car but it seems to be outdated now. Despite 4 cylinders, passing acceleration is acceptable but you have to use kick down sometimes. Breaking is good as long as you have good tires. May be it’s just me but uphill starts tend to spin wheels rather easily. Control is good and it turns well with minimum rear wheel skid on sharp turns. I guess it’s smaller than average sedan of the same class and is more responsive. Turning radius can be smaller, but I normal for front wheel drive. Suspension is rather stiff for a family sedan – and that’s how I like it. Transmission allows engine to get to rather high RPM if you floor it. It is generally smooth with occasionally noticeable shifting at low speed. No show mode but locking it on low works great if you gentle on gas. Visibility is better than average including backing up. Paint job is good with only few blemishes and chips from rocks. No traces of rust so far. This car has standard 1-DIN mount for stereo, so it’s easy to replace pathetic CD/radio car came with. Sound quality is OK with standard speakers, so I did not even bother to replace these. After 8 years some panes got loose so it resonates on certain frequencies if your stereo is loud enough. Overall it’s a reliable car which gets you from point A to point B."

Amazing Daily Driver and Dear Friend

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, gas milage, dependable, great features!"

Cons: "No aux connection. Door handles oxidize."

"I bought this car new in 2001 Great trunk space, passenger room. I'm over six feet tall and I fit comfortably. I use it for short trips and some longer ones. I aim to take care of the car, I use RP Oil and filters, I am always checking the hoses and toping off the fluids, checking the belts for ware, I use Mothers products to shine and protect. I figure, if I take care of her, she will take care of me. This has been the case. I have owned this car for 11 years now and I expect to have it for at least 16 more. I'll have a classic on my hands, I always loved the look of the car, it looks like a car should not like a bubble, I hate bubble looking cars. This is the year that Mitsubishi did away with cassette decks and opted for the CD player. I'm grateful, too bad that iPods weren't popular in 2001 or there would have been an input for one. Never had any major problems, she has never left me stranded. Never stuttered, no leaks, no rust, replaced the rotors for slotted Brembo with ceramic pads. Ordered nice rims and changed the tires to Goodyear Comfort treads. I once had Perreli P Zeros on her with a lager rim set but I grew out of that stage after hitting various pot holes in NYC which means bent rims. Door handles were the fist thing to show ware for the material used was scratched easily and oxidized. There were great features added to the ES model like built in the rear window antenna and cruse control. Over all Gas milage is not too bad. It doesn't come close to a Prius, but then again it's not as ugly as one either. One last note on the styling. I think this was the last year that the grille was a really grill and not that lip up from the bumper monstrosity that was there to pretend it was part Evo. In my opinion I was fortunate to have bought the most attractive Mitsubishi Galant ever made, even the 2012's are laking the charm of the 2001. But I bet I could plug in my iPhone on those, I may get a new stereo system to remedy the situation. Love the car and will last if properly maintained. I hope this was helpful!"

Vehicle lasts long

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

"I bought this car with 130,000 miles on it. I am still driving it with 175,000 miles on it and havent had any problems"

Old Reliable

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"I've had this car since I turned 17, about 4 and a half years ago. I probably didnt treat it the best I should have, considering I was only in high school and didn't know much at all about car care. But I've had this car for a long time now, and I love it. It's been there for me when I needed it. As far as the quality of the car goes, the only problems I've had with it recently are these. Now remember I am only the second owner of this car and it is my first and only car. 1. the driver side door handle broke and now i have to roll my window down to get out. 2. the windsheild wiper stick is broken and hanging by wires. 3. A headlight is out. 4. I had to change the torque converter in it two years ago. 5. I just put a new battery in it last month. Other than these five things, this car has been good to me. I have seen many other people in my area with the same car and I bet they've had theirs just as long as I've had mine, because it is a reliable car. I may not know much about cars, but I know this car is a great one."

Nice Reliable Vehicle

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage for a 2002."

Cons: "The tilt steering is a little less than desireable"

"I have owned my car for 4+ years, bought it used. It drives and handles like most other mid-size cars. On long trips I have got more than 29 mpg and is relatively comfortable in how it feels, drives and handles. My biggest complaint is that the AC needs charging every couple of years, but other than that is a very low maintenance vehicle! I would recommend this model year for an all around basic family car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mitsubishi Galant near Honolulu. See local deals