2008 MINI Cooper

8.4

Based on 358 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Reliable so far...

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Handling-Braking-Acceleration 3 aces"

Cons: "Pricey car"

"Bought new 2011 Cooper S with automatic transmission in May 2011. I has approximately 19k miles to this day, and so far I have not had a single issue with the car (knock on wood). I had the dealer changed the oil at 15K miles and that was it. Handling, braking and acceleration are excellent. Interior space is adequate in my situation since I rarely take more than one passenger. Comfortable enough for long distance, quiet enough for normal conversation at 70mph highway cruising. Mine is the out of the box cooper, not a JC Works Cooper so it has the standard suspension, and nothing has been modified on the car. I use this car just for daily commute, I averaged 32 mpg between ciy and hwy, and alway use 89 Octane gas. The car needs about 3/4 quart motor oil every 4-5 thousand miles so oil consumption seems normal. It's hard to comprehend other bad reviews from which those unfortunate owners experienced from engine issues down to every buttons in that car during early year of ownership, so it seemed. May be their issues were due to the ealier models? Or may be I am lucky with mine? Perhaps its true color will reveal on mine someday but so far it has proved itself worth keeping."

Base needs more power but still a Great 2nd Car

By on Monday, September 13, 2010

"I got my 2010 MINI hatchback in March. I have the base engine with auto. I never thought I would have so much fun driving. I use to drive a Camry (boring) and an Accord (decent), but driving a MINI really does make me happy. I have a family of 4 and a minivan is generally our mode of transport. But my 2 little kids always want to be in the MINI. We've gone to MINI rallies and met other happy owners as well. This small car is just great commuting to work and running errands. I would never take it on long family trips unless it's just me and my wife. Even though I had to take it to dealership on 2 occasions to fix a rattling noise, the dealer provided me with a loaner car, Cooper S. After driving the turbo version, my base MINI does feel underpowered. However, the overall driving feel and handling of the base MINI, imo, is better than the S. Plus, the ride of the S is really harsh. Both versions have the Sport mode and it really makes a difference in the base model, not so much on the S. Fuel Economy has been good at 28 mpg for combined driving. The interior takes time to get use to because of the layout of the door locks and window switches. The big speedometer in the middle might be a turnoff for some but I like it. Is there anything I don't like? I wish the base model had an extra 20-30 hp. The S is really too powerful for the driving that I do."

Dream Car

By on Friday, March 19, 2010

"This car is so much fun. I am young and childless, so this car is all I need. I am constantly amazed at how smart it is; from the windshield wipers slowing when I come to a stop (they are speed-sensitive) and the car tells me when it needs maintenance/average mpg/average speed and more. For those interested, it has an auxillary jack for electronics. For those with harsh winters like Wyoming, the defrost system is speedy and the cold weather package is absolutely great. Something to keep in mind, Minis use synthetic oil only and require premium gas."

I love this car but...

By on Friday, July 24, 2009

"I custom ordered it, I waited 4 months to get it. It is SO much fun to drive and it really stands out in a crowd. The downside is that I have had major mechanical issues and many minor problems. In less than 2 years, my timing chain fell off, I've had electronic issues, my sunroof leaked and has been re-adjusted at least 5 times. Today the engine light went on and the car started sounding really bad. It seems like I am always at the dealership having SOMETHING fixed. I love my car but I would never buy another MINI."

Distinctive, fun to drive

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Dexterity, reliability, fun, looks"

Cons: "Ride, computer/radio problem, paint"

"Have put over 40,000 miles on it since I bought it used. Has been a real blast, especially with the front strut brace that was added by the original owner. Mine is the 2-door version, and I can't see that this model would in any way be anyone's choice as a family or primary vehicle. It's just not designed for that. Because of it's size, there are things that I can do in the Mini that I know I would not be able to do in ANY other car. There are just advantages to being in a car this small. Been very happy with performance. Although most sports sedans leave me in the dust in the straight-aways (and I have the "S" model), NO ONE can keep up with me in the turns. Been very reliable, and have had ZERO issues with brakes, power equipment, a/c, etc. One BIG problem was that at about 40,000 miles, the computer went loopy. I would come out in the morning to hear the radio on in the car. I passed it off as a minor glitch several times until I found my battery to be dead on a few occasions. Turned out that the entire radio/computer system had to be replaced, including the battery, and I know mine isn't the only one that's had this problem. BMW picked up a third of my tab, the dealer picked up a third of the tab, but I was out around $1,000 when all was said and done (I think the battery alone was $900!!) That's been the ONLY problem I've had with it so far. It can be a bumpy ride due to the sporty suspension -- not a road trip car. I own a convertible, and the top is still tight -- NO leaks, and the power top still works like a charm. What I love about the MC convertible design is that u can open the top partially for more of a sunroof effect when u don't want it down all the way. No other convertible can do this that I'm aware of. Paint is OK. I've seen the paint chip in places I would never expect. Very minor, but odd. Overall, I would buy another Mini, and in fact, am considering a JCW convertible. Despite my yearning for a more luxurious ride sometimes, I'm not sure I'll be able to sacrifice the value, looks and dexterity of a Mini Cooper."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching MINI Cooper near Honolulu. See local deals