2005 MINI Cooper

Based on 479 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

Love / Hate my 2003 MINI Cooper S

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park, handles like a go cart"

Cons: "Expensive to repair, lots of expensive breakdowns"

"There are some really strong points of these cars and then there are some really not so strong points. We've had the car for just over two years. When we bought it in 2011, it had 72K miles on it. The cars strong points are that it's super fun to drive. It's zippy, handles like a go cart (just like the ads say), is crazy easy to park (especially parallel), and gets decent gas mileage. Although small, you'd be surprised at how much you can cram into these cars. The weak points are that it has needed a lot of major work since we bought it and it's not cheap to fix. First off, this model is supercharged, not turbo. The supercharger's bearings wear out by about 75-85K miles. When we bought it, the supercharger was already noisy, but not knowing these cars, I didn't know that it was an issue at that time. We had to put a rebuilt supercharger in it at about 95K miles as it was sounding like there were marbles rolling around in the engine by that point. I bought a rebuild from a company on eBay for $700. Mind you there are no brand new superchargers left available for these cars, they are all rebuilds. The BMW rebuilt supercharger was $2,000. I had it installed for $400 labor (the whole front of the car has to come off to do it) and wound up putting a new water pump and belt tensioner on it as well to avoid any problems in the near future. All in all, that ran $1600. The car now has 115K miles on it and the supercharger is noisy already and will likely have to be swapped AGAIN soon. Don't buy rebuilds off eBay, lesson learned. The clutch also went out at about 105K miles, another $2,000 for that to be fixed. The latest problem was that a fuel injector went bad, leaned out the fuel mixture in the #3 cylinder, and burned the exhaust valve in that cylinder. $2,300 for a new injector and complete valve job at the nearest MINI dealer I had to have it towed to. All in all we have invested nearly $6,000 in repairs over the $9,300 we paid for it two years ago. We've gotten 43K miles on it since we bought it and that's cost us $6,000 in repairs. Way too much. Not happy with how often this things broken down and how expensive it's been to fix. Our 2001 Honda CRV got $230K miles on it before the valves went bad and we sold it instead of getting a valve job done for $2,000. I'm wishing we would have kept it now and just fixed it instead of getting the MINI."

Coopers are Cool

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"The Coopers been amazing...never a problem, runs like a Swiss watch (Bavarian?), sips gas but hauls A55...a fun combo. The S is faster, but the Cooper is so peppy I could not justify the extra (few K) bucks to shave 2 seconds off a 1/4 mile, etc. The real surprise was in the snow...the traction control works so well I didn't miss the 4wd I had traded in on it...I was astounded at the traction...it just nibbles its way out of what would normally be a "plowed in" situation, etc. It has a safety cage and more air bags than passenger seats...its a tough beast, very safe. I saw a video of a crash of a Mini Cooper intoa Ford F150...it tore up the Ford, and completely protected its own passenger compartment...the doors even still opened etc...The Pick up truck looked like it had been hit by a bomb. :D All in all, its an amazing piece of machinery that becomes your best freind."

Great for a Driver and commuter

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, vallue, mileage"

Cons: "back seat a bit unconfortable, some interior controls could be better designed"

"Don't compromise driving experience if you're thinking of getting something small for your commute. A Mini takes care of style, performance, and gas efficiency."

Fun fun fun

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Fun 2 drive! Well engineered."

Cons: "Expensive parts. Very stiff ride. Tiny back seat."

"After years of driving econo boxes, the Mini is the most fun I've ever had driving a car. The "go cart handling" is not just an ad slogan - it corners like it's on rails. It's not powerful, but is very well engineered, with superb steering and handling characteristics. Mini tells you to use Premium fuel, even on the base model - I never have, and have over 125K miles on it."

Incredible car for the money!

By on Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pros: "fuel economy, cornering, HK stereo, fun!"

Cons: "small rear trunk compartment, but dropping the seats expands it to acceptable level"

"I love everything about this car! I've owned it for nearly three years and have never had a problem. It runs and drives like the the day I bought it and feels even better than some of the newer ones. One huge perk is the fuel economy. I regularly get 37 on the highway and 30 or so around town. In fact, the Avg. Economy readout seems to stay at about 33 no matter what I'm doing. Gotta love that. All this while still carving the corners in style Bottom line: if you're looking for a comfortable, fun, classy car that saves big money at the pump, this is your ride!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching MINI Cooper near Honolulu. See local deals