2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,074 - $23,733.

9.5

Based on 4 Ratings for the 2014 - 2014 models.

9.8/10
    9.8/10

Hard to consider another car

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "size, cornering, upgrades in new model"

Cons: "road noise for convertible, lacks low-end torque"

"If u don't care to read the long review that follows, here it is in a nutshell: will be buying new-model Cooper. Hope to hold out long enough for convertible JCW. Small size REALLY helps in traffic, finding parking spaces, and clearing tight spaces no other performance car can. NOTHING in this price range corners like a Cooper S, not even the Evo or the STI. New Cooper F56 is a totally different car inside. It's a Mini BMW. REVIEW I bought an '08 Cooper S in '09, and have been using it as my primary car for almost 7 years. I've been shopping around, maybe for something with an actual back seat for my poor kids. Was considering mainly the Subaru STI and the Mitsubishi Evo. Can't afford to give up the ability to quench my frequent thirst for adrenaline. What people have said is true: the Evo is INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. I'm a small guy (5'9, 175 lbs, 32" waist), and the seat bolsters STILL squeeze my hips. The sport suspension, while great for performance, adds to the rough ride; u can feel EVERYTHING u roll over, even when u squash a June bug! Honestly, if the seats were more comfortable, the sporty ride would be tolerable. The Subaru WRX/STI is not only more comfortable, but leaves its paint at the starting line. OMG! How incredible is this car?!?! Leaves the Evo wimpering at the starting line. (to be fair, I drove the auto Evo with paddle shifters, and the manual -- only comes manual -- STI). But still ... the Evo was soon forgotten. The STI ... not so much. Hard to believe it's legal. Even though I can hardly consider a stick-shift as my primary car, I was really struggling not to buy that STI. But besides being manual, there was one other note that kept me from pulling the trigger: it slid on corners where I know my Mini wouldn't. Then I discover that Mini has redesigned the classic Cooper, so I went and gave it a spin. Well, my friends, I have found my next car. What a beast! The new engine is actually stronger than an old JCW, and u can feel it, and it still corners like I'm accustomed to. The exterior is only slightly changed, but the interior is almost TOTALLY changed! Much more feature-rich: push-button start, NAV controls same as in BMWs, better display, can change engine mode from "sport" to "green". BMW has seemingly given up on trying to keep the British Mini heritage, and made it an actual BMW (only smaller). Still not crazy about the low-end torque, which is one reason why I was considering the Evo and STI. Some tuning may be in order. But besides shoehorning my kids in the back seat every once in a while, it is as close to perfect as I think I'll find for my needs: 1) performance in an automatic, specifically cornering ability that CAN'T be beat. being self-employed i do a lot of light-to-light driving while following nav, talking on the phone, texting, drinking coffee, eating cereal. 2) the size will spoil u. u will find holes in traffic and parking lots u would have NEVER considered before. 3) comfort in a sports car. 4) 8-year-old convertible top still no leaks. Here are a few points on the down side: 1) had to replace the $800 battery bc the computer was automatically turning on the radio in the middle of the night. with labor to fix computer, came to $1,200, of which I paid 1/3. 2) auto transmission gets weird sometimes: won't shift, or shifts roughly. i've heard and read about Mini tranny problems, i believe a class-action lawsuit was filed, but nothing too serious yet. when it happens, i just shift over to paddle shifters. 3) not really a "con", more of a maintenance issue: one tire-pressure sensor went out: $350, and something with the right front suspension was wearing out: $1,300. at almost 90K miles, i figure a few things will start to give."

The best mini yet.

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Low end power, Comfortable ride, crisp shifter,"

Cons: "Exterior design slightly bloated"

"I recently test drove this car at a local dealership. This is the first time I had ever driven any Mini model and my comments are a comparison of the impressions I got about previous models from reading numerous test drive reviews, to what I experienced in this car. First off, driving off the lot I was immediately impressed with how much power the car had in low gears. During a 10 min drive, I felt as if I could drive around in 2nd in normal city driving and the car felt very comfortable doing so. I mention this because in the past, I have driven several cars with manual transmissions which required constant shifting in city traffic, especially in traffic jams, which can be very tiring. Not so with this car. Another equally positive note is how the car felt driving over less then perfect road surfaces. I have read many reviews of previous mini's citing how harsh the ride was and this evolution of the mini seems to have solved that problem. The car felt very solid and composed over all surfaces. I understand this is the first mini built on a BMW platform and to be honest, when I was driving, my thoughts were - this must be what the BMW experience is all about. I get it! I realize there are many professional reviewers that rate this car below such Japanese imports as the Mazda 3, Honda Civic etc.. However to me these are boring appliances without character. I have been there and done that. The mini is a car with character that most reviewers don't give credit for. The only negative I noted was the general appearance of the exterior which looks slightly bloated compared to the previous model. It looks like a cross between the countryman and the old mini."

Love that Mini

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

I want this car

"I test drove the 2014 Hardtop at Hendricks Mini in Charlotte. Love at first sight. Wonderful upgrades and the ride was Spectacular. I'm saving my pennies. Thanks Star"

Love this car!

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Style"

"Looking forward to getting it this year."