2010 MINI Cooper Hardtop

Based on 324 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Great Hot Hatch BUT...

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Styling, handling, "fun" factor, BMW engineering"

Cons: "Reliability, BMW parts/repair $, lousy stereo"

"This is a GREAT car if you can work on cars yourself OR if you buy a MINI Next/CPO or private warranty. This is an enthusiast's car, plain and simple. If you are not comfortable doing your own repairs and maintenance, or don't know anyone who is, buy a Ford/Honda/Toyota instead. This is an AWFUL car if you buy it out of warranty and have to pay someone else to fix it. Again, if you are not comfortable doing your own repairs and maintenance, or don't know anyone who is, buy a Ford/Honda/Toyota instead. This car is one of the best-looking and driving front-wheel-drive cars on the road, period. It handles like a go-kart, and accelerates better than anything this size has the right. It feels heavy and solidly-built, has 6 airbags, and inspires confidence in traffic, or driving in town. It gets great mileage (I have the S, and NEVER get less than 30 mpg driving it hard all the time, and on the highway, I get 34 mpg without fail). Women and kids love it. I love it. When I walk out to my garage in the morning to commute to work, it literally makes me smile every time I see it. I've had it for 2 years, and it still makes me happy. Mine has the lounge leather heated seats, and most other options including the sunroof. It is flat-out a beautiful car. I replaced the stock MINI Boost stereo with MBQuart/Rockford Fosgate stuff, and that was pretty much the only design flaw: the radio is AWFUL. The upgraded HK system doesn't sound much better either, so my advice is to find one with the base Boost setup and at least add a sub. I tore everything out and re-did the whole system, and it was worth every hour and penny to do so. I also lowered the car and swapped out the run-flat Dunlaps for regular tires. It rides and handles way better. I have a can of Fix-A-Flat, a mini air compressor, and AAA instead, as the MINI S doesn't come with a spare tire. The base Cooper does. Now for the bad. This car has some well-known design/engineering/manufacturing issues. 1. The N14 engine, found in the '07-'10 r55/56/57 MCSs was manufactured with a faulty timing chain tensioner. It apparently allows too much slack in the timing chain, and as a result, allows the chain to slap around against the chain guides. Eventually, the guides break, the chain stretches, and the engine WILL fail, catastrophically, as this is an interference-type engine design. For years, MINI/BMW claimed there was no such issue, until this past year, when they finally sent out a service bulletin to affected cars' owners to repair or replace the timing setup for free. Mine was repaired by MINI at no charge, but others whose cars failed prior to the service bulletin weren't so lucky. The internet forums are FULL of MCS owners who had to replace engines at their own expense until MINI fessed up to the problem. MINI has reimbursed these owners as far as I know, but I'm sure they lost more than one customer as a result. The 2011 and later MSC has the n18 engine, which doesn't have the same issue apparently. Google "Mini Cooper Death Rattle" for more info. If you buy one, MAKE SURE this repair has been done. If not, don't buy the car, period. 2. The N14 engine is prone to oil buildup/coking on the intake valves due to the design of the PCV system design. Oil blows out of the PCV valve, through the vacuum tube, into the intake manifold, where it becomes burned onto the intake valves as it's a direct injection motor and thus gas doesn't clean off the valves as it would with a conventional injection setup. This causes acceleration hesitation, can throw engine fault codes, and worsens gas mileage, to the point that some cars have become undriveable until either being treated with Sea Foam or similar engine treatments, OR by blasting the intake valves clean with walnut shells. MINI denies this is an issue even though it's well documented on various forums. Google Mini Cooper Carbon Buildup;" you'll find plenty of stories. Mine also has had this problem. Running half a bottle of Sea Foam through the vacuum line every oil change appears to take care of it, so hopefully it doesn't get to the point where the head needs to come off and valves need replacing. The dealers know about this too, and many use Sea Foam or similar products to treat it, but MINI's official position has been silence, as best as I can tell. You can check to see if a car has this issue: take it out on the highway, get it up to 50-60 in top gear, and floor the accelerator to about 70 mph. The car shouldn't stutter or miss. If it does, it has this issue and it needs to be treated. 3. The Dunlap run-flat tires run approx $400 apiece. That's APIECE. Add to that the cost of rebuilding the TPMS sensors, and you're looking at $1500 every time it needs tires. If you buy this car, invest in a AAA membership, and swap out the RFs for regular tires. It'll be quieter, ride better, and it won't cost you $1500 for tires. You're welcome. 4. BMW repair costs. The car is designed, engineered, and built by BMW. It is VERY expensive to maintain this car if you choose to do so at the dealership. Learn to do maintenance stuff yourself, find a friend who does and will, or find a local indy Euro car garage and become friends. Also, this is a German car, and as such, requires a higher level of maintenance than your average American or Japanese car. It's just the way they are. Things on this car are wear items where they really aren't on other cars. Control arms/bushings, etc., need regular replacing on German/Euro cars and not on Toyotas, for example. Also, order your parts from Rockauto or some similar site to save BIG $$$ on parts costs. 5. BMW recommends oil change intervals of 10K-20K with synthetic oil. I think 10K is probably pushing it for a small, high-compression turbo engine. Do 5k-7.5k to stay safe. I use Wix filters and Mobil 1 0W30 every 5k-7.5k (rec'd by BMW/MINI for this car) and have no issues. You're on your own if you go 20k miles between changes. 6. The car also has a well-known issue of the thermostat temp sensor failing. When it does, it fails so that thermostat is in the "open" position which means the car is driveable so long as you can stand the CEL (check engine light) being on. The problem is that the thermostat and sensor are molded into this ridiculous Jarvic-heart-looking device that costs over $100 just for the part and is a royal PIA to reach/swap out because it's buried under a bunch of other hoses and stuff.. Mine failed at 20K miles, which, according to my research, is fairly common. So that's pretty much it: it is a great car when it's all working right, and an AWFUL AND EXPENSIVE car when it isn't. It will make you smile every time you look at it, but it will break your heart too, multiple times, and expensively. If, like me, you can work on it yourself, go for it; you won't regret it. If you get an extended warranty, go for it. It is the BEST car I've ever owned. I love how it looks, drives, smells, sounds, everything, and the good things about it FAR outweigh its issues SO FAR. BUT if you are looking for utterly reliable transportation that happens to be cute AND cannot work on it yourself and don't have patience for the typical German maintenance/reliability issues, look elsewhere, as this ain't it."

This is a great car

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"This is a great car. Just did a 500 mile trip (400 hwy/100 city) at got 38.5 mpg for the trip."

Love it

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Best Car I've ever owned. The only problem is "Winter""

Too many probs. Expensive repairs.

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Reason: Too many problems

Pros: "Fun to drive. Lots of power. 32 MPG average."

Cons: "Codes: P0300 and P0304"

"I owned a 2008 Mini Cooper S (6-speed automatic) for 5 1/2 years. I ended up doing a trade in as I didn't have the heart to stick a private party with my problem. A problem from day one (with only 10 miles on the car): The driver's side power window was always flaky. On occasion if I'd close it, it would automatically come back down a few inches. After 30,000 miles the major/costly problems were: 1. Excessive oil consumption. It got worse over time and in the end I was adding one quart every 1,000 miles. 2. Dead battery. The dealer charged me $300. I was told they have to enter new info into the computer...you can't just buy a new battery and replace it on your own. I still question this. 3. At 33,000 miles, four new tires at the dealer...need run flat tires. $1,100. 4. Windshield replacement. A nationally known company told me with MINI they only use OEM parts because they have had too many fit problems in the past. $600+ 5. Two flat tires. Tire shops don't want to deal with run flats. Back to the dealer and their solution was to replace not plug the tires. Tires cost $275 each! 6. Carbon buildup, more than once. 7. Failed fuel injector. It filled #4 cylinder with fuel and fuel was actually coming out of the tail pipe. $1,400 Possible damage to the catalytic converter...ouch! 8. It ran rough after starting it in cold weather. On one occasion I got the low power light. 9. Numerous check engine lights, both red and yellow. NOTE: Red means park the car and get it towed. 10. Stretched timing chain. (dealer wanted $2,000 to fix it) After some research on the internet, I have since learned that the R56 Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, from 2007 to 2010 with the N14 engine is "problematic." Happy Motoring!"

I love my mini

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Haven't found any,cause I love it"

"I have always wanted a Mini Cooper,while my daughter wants a bigger and badder truck. Me I've Always wanted a Mini Cooper and I finally got the chance to buy one,I couldn't afford to buy new but I was able to buy used with low miles I've finally gotten my dream car and I love it"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching MINI Cooper Hardtop near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for