1999 Mercury Villager

Based on 177 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

The Underdog Van

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"The Villager has been a great vehicle. We traded a 96 Windstar on this van and we were surprised as to how much room it had in spite of being shorter. Steering and handling were hands down superb to the Windstar, and windnoise was improved too. With flexible seating and aux A/C, the van is comfortable on trips. We have also had very few quality issues which has been satisfying. Seating is fairly flexible--the 3rd seat is adjustable which is handy on long trips. An overhead carrier has been helpful as the kids have gotten older. The 2nd row buckets are great for stretching out. They can be removed to make it a 5 passenger. The 3rd row can be adjusted forward which can be useful for hauling. The A/C cools down fairly quickly in the summer and the kids can control the temp/fan settings for the rear. An override is useful occassionally. Heating is adequate and the temp setting doesn't have to be fooled with much. One disappointment is the poor fuel mileage. We average 20-22 mpg on the highway. In town, mileage is 13-15 mpg. I expected 2 mpg better. Quality/Reliability: 1) After 3 yrs, one key FOB went bad--the unlock quit working. 2) The accelerator cable had to be replaced. The accel pedal would stick prior to initial acceleration. This fix was less than $50. 3) The two half shafts were recently replaced. Cost was about $300/ea. Overall, much better than expected. Overall a very good vehicle. We have 120k+ miles on our van and it is still going strong."

best car we have ever had.

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

"best ever"

Issues starting

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Purchased in 2003 our 2002 has 118,000 miles on it. It served us well on trips to Orlando, Vegas, and Copper Mountain but has had some problems with the front end. The first to go were the CV joints. Most economical solution was to purchase new aftermarket half shafts online, dealer wanted a fortune. Most recent problems include a damaged oil pan (hit something) but it cost over $700 to repair along with a new motor mount. This was quickly followed by a need to replace the ball joints and tie rods another $400. Over all the powertrain has held up well with no motor or transmission problems. But the squeaks and rattles are started to become too much. The large windows are great for visibility but have recently come loose and rattle a lot."

Love it -- still have it

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable comfortable; great visibility"

Cons: "Back seat vibrates too much; no cd"

"Had a 97 Mercury Villager when I traded for this 01 to make the Walt Disney trip from Texas. Both were good vehicles but I have kept this one much longer than I planned. Has the TV Screen on roof & kids are fascinated with it. Have replaced struts, and shocks, brakes, tires, batteries and that is about it. Keep it maintained with preventive maintenance and garaged. Have had a minor problem with cv boots (2 so far)but overall almost no repair work and love the fact that it has over 200k miles and everything still works. Cruise control is getting a little wonky & sometimes has to be babied. Video tv system is no longer functional. Only gets about 18 mph which is a bummer but with no car payment who cares? Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Have had passengers tell me the ride is very comfortable."

Best van we have ever owned

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Mercury / Nissan My wife loved this car especially in the snow. We have neighbors who have driven their 2001 over 400000 miles. Only thing I've done is change oil"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Villager near Honolulu. See local deals