2008 Mercury Mariner

Based on 147 Ratings for the 2008 - 2011 models.

Best Overall Small SUV - 21st centrury Jeep

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Power/MPG/Interior/4WD/SYNC/Towing"

Cons: "Road noise & GET 09' OR NEWER FOR 6SPD TRANS"

"Bought this SUV to save on gas (had a 13mpg truck). But didn't want to compromise 4WD or space for fam. I was skeptical at 1st but this thing is great. V6 has 240HP & I GET 25MPG OVERALL(21-22city/26-27hwy) w/4WD! The fold flat seats offer good hauling options, it tows 3500lbs, interior impresses, SYNC is nice, great safety. Sure it's not as manly a Full-size truck, but it pleases hauling my friends around to the bar(great sound system/ambient lights), keeps me happy when I travel to mills/plants for work(MPG/USB port for MP3/storage for equipment)& it keeps my family comfortable & safe in OH winters (4WD/stability control). That's manly enough for me."

Could be better

By on Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Pros - fanstatic styling, tall like a real truck; noticed that it is the same height as my wife's Honda Pilot. Very good suspension, you hear the bumps but don't feel them. Excellent fuel consumption, averages 26.5mpg combined; seems mpg gets better after the engine is broken in around 1500 miles Cons-those seats are just horrible, feels like FORD just drapped fabric over the seat spring. Very poor finish. Must confes no rattling after 2 months, but if you step out of the honda and stepped into the mariner, it feels like you have just moved into a cheaply made car. Bought mariner because i wanted a domestic; i make my living by selling to a few companies that really do design and manufacture things in america. Nice effort, Ford can do better. Would recommend because i hope by the 2009 model, Ford would have addressed the terrible seat issues; a common complain from many users."

Excellent vehicle!

By on Sunday, June 8, 2008

"We've had our '08 Mariner for about 6 months now. Absolutely no problems with it. I wish the seats were a little softer, but they have been adequate. We have a pretty basic model so not too many bells and whistles. It's a V6, 2WD. Never had any issues during the winter months with not being AWD, even with a few snow and ice storms. Traction control seemed to work pretty well. Gas mileage varies a lot based on speed and your right foot. My wife has a heavy foot and gets from 18-22 out of it. I drive quite a bit more conservatively and typically get 22-29. I've even had it get a little better on occasion (up to 32 on one tank). We previously owned a '00 Mountaineer and had extremely good luck with it (230,000 miles with less than $400 worth of repairs when we sold it). The vehicle we traded in for the Mariner was an '06 Honda Civic Si. Quality has been superior with the Mariner! With the amount of miles we've put on the Mariner the Civic already had rattles, the transmission needed to be fixed, and the cold engine driveability was horrible. Zero complaints with the Mariner. Hopefully it will end up being as reliable as the Mountaineer was."

great looker!

By on Friday, January 4, 2008

"I traded in my Pontiac Aztek for this sexier looking vehicle. I totally miss all the room I had in the Aztek, but this car gave me what I set out for -- better gas mileage, good performance and great styling! I must say, I miss a 6 cylinder, but for the savings in gas, I can put up with the 4. It performs quite well actually. A little nosier than a 6, but overall a great vehicle"

Great Little SUV

By on Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Bought a new 2010 Mariner Preimer 2 months ago and the car has been great, no problems! Great gas milage on the 4 cyl - 26 around town w/ little highway and 31 on the highway. Was concerned about the small engine and pickup but it's been great, no need for the 6 cyl unless towing. Love the no gas cap feature, turn by turn directions standard with free 3 year subscription, no need for a GPS, satilite radio, my key feature, the blind spot mirrors are great. This product kills the JAP's in overall quality. Very quiet ride, better than BMW. Super smooth 6 speed transmision. Price out the door $23,500! Hands down best little SUV for the money. Had a 2003 BMW X3 ($36,000) and was always in the shop, poor gas milage 18 in town and 23 on the highway with same 2.5L engine. Great Job Ford! No wonder your making money and not taking TARP."

Very happy with my Mariner Hybrid

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Have only had my Mariner Hybrid back to dealer only once, for annual/10,000 mile service. Handling, power, comfort is perfect for my use. Would recommend to anyone. Only drawback is scarce availability. Could not find one locally, and had to drive over 200 miles to pick up mine. But, well worth the drive."

satisfied customer

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"We traded in our 1999 Ford Expedition. We wanted better gas mileage and didn't have a good reason to be driving an eight passenger vehicle around anymore. Seating is a tad uncomfortable in the back, and you do hear the bumps when you are going along (but you don't really feel them ). I love the ice blue exterior and blue interior lighting, not to mention the moon and tune package. Hopefully the 2009 (or 2010)will be absolutely perfect. Would like to be inticed to buy again,....and so far I'm pretty much there."

MEHH.....

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

"This vehicle was bought brand new and it is fully loaded (excluding the navi). as the vehicle started to age all of the plastic bits of the interior started to make annoying noises. The transmission BLOWS (because its a 4speed!!!!!), it can't get out of its own way when you need to accelerate on to the highway! the trans blew up at around 55k because you have to put your foot to the floor in order for the vehicle to move! But on a good note the vehicle is a very good at long distance trips, a grocery getter and great in the snow. Other than that its just ok....."

Primarily used on highway to work only

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "Awesome in winter and very safe car, Its solid"

Cons: "Cant honestly think of any"

"Really nice family car, I only drive it in the winter since I have a summer car(Mustang GT)."

best car i've owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "styling, fuel economy, engineering"

Cons: "interior finish easily marred by rings, watches in"

"love to fill up and see 508 miles to e."

Solid value

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Good price"

Cons: "No outside temperature."

"Basic car but has all the features I need. Love the SYNC feature. NIce drive. No problems at all with fit, finish, or reliability."

perfect suv

By on Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"This SUV is awesome! It has great style and optional features. It gets good gas mileage and runs smoothly on the road. It has the perfect amount of room for a family of 5 + ample storage/luggage space. Don't regret getting this one! My favorite car ever."

very satisfied

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Traded in my Chevy Blazer and I am very happy with my Mariner and the gas mileage. My only disappointment is no compass or temp. display."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Smooth comfortable ride with good power"

Cons: "average to below average gas mileage"

"Great car. Very smooth and comfortable ride. Plenty of cargo space, and great power. The only draw back is it doesn't get great gas mileage."

Too bad 2011 was the last year for the Mariner.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas milage, ride and overall vehicle."

Cons: "Not being made any longer."

"The 2011 Mariner was and is an excellent vehicle. Average combined milage is around 25 mpg. Excellent for a powerful V6. No issues after the transmission was programed correctly. I would buy a new Mariner if there was such a vehicle."

Greatest Car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Drives like a car in most situations, but has the ability to behave like a small truck if you need it. Very comfortable inside with surprising room for a smaller SUV."

Very nice package

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"I have the I4 Premier. Very solid build and comfort. Picked the Mariner over the Rav4 and Chev Equinox because of overall package and price. The Microsoft Sync and bluetooth system is awesome. Easier to use than what several reviews say. The 6 speed auto transmission is smooth and effortless. Yet When I back out of my driveway with 4 passengers and then put it in drive and took off I actually chirped the tires. I got yelled at from the wifey but I thought that was pretty cool for a 4 cyl. truck that gets great gas mileage (AVG 24MPG). The seats are comfortable and controls and displays are very organized and easy to use. The multi-color ambient lighting is a small touch that everyone loves and enjoys. The overall exterior look of the Mariner is very impressive and has noticeable niceities compared to the Escape version. The Mariner is the best deal out there in the small SUV class."

Terrific Everyday Car

By on Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Had my 2008 Mariner Premier since March 2007 and I LOVE it. I downgraded from a big Suburban and once I got used to the smaller size, I totally fell in love with the Mariner. It's easy to drive, easy to park, great gas mileage, quiet on the highway and in town, fits in the garage, takes 3 dogs to the vet easily, takes 4 adults to dinner just as easily, sound system is lovely on the highway to New Orleans and back as was the comfort of the ride to Mexico and back. I would absolutely buy this vehicle again. With the leather seats and sunroof on a nice spring day and the peppy V-6 you can almost pretend you have a convertible without all the ugly wind issues."

I love my Mariner

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I owned an 06 Mariner Hybrid but found out I couldn't flat tow it after I bought a motor home. I was very upset because I loved my truck and hated to have to trade it in for something that WAS flat towable. After doing some research, I found out that the 08 Mariner Hybrid WAS flat towable so I immediately went down to the dealership and traded in my 14-month-old 06 model for an 08 model that had just arrived on the lot. I am happy enough with the 08 model. I liked the color of my 06 (charcoal beige) way better than my 08 (black). And I like the interior styling of the 06 better than the 08. But my 08 has a plug for my MP3 player and it also has the dual climate controls along with the outside temperature gage that the 06 lacked. So that's nice. I'm not sure why the 08 doesn't have the the grab handles up by the windshield like the 06 did. It's something you don't think about until it's not there. Neither of my models had the stereo controls on the steering column (uh!) but it is available. All in all, I'm very content with my truck although my husband hates it (he says it's a girl's truck) and he wants a Hummer. (Ick)"

Love the Mariner!

By on Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I've had my new mariner for a month now. I love the comfort- it's roomy enough for my husbad to drive comfortably-unlike some other smaller SUV's we tried. I did my homework before buying. The crash rating for the front driver changed after June manufacturing and went up a star rating. Most people dont pay attention, but it was important to me to get one June or after for additional safety (this goes for Escapes too!)"

Nice car

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"Traded my '03 Navigator for this. Very pleased with the fuel economy and ride comfort. Only shortcoming is the lack of lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat."

Wonderful SUV

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Responsive engine and handling. Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Not a smooth ride, truck-like qualities"

"This has been an excellent SUV. It is my 2nd Mariner. Too bad Ford is not making them anymore. The new Ford Escape doesn't even come close to this SUV in every respect."

This is my favorite vehicle in over 20 years...

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, easy"

Cons: "Price was higher than I wanted to pay but bought"

"This is a wonderful car - more roomy than the 2010 Escape I had; leather seats make all the difference and I enjoy the power sunroof. Very convenient, classy looking, and roomy."

Best small suv on market

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "everything about it."

Cons: "none,none,none and none."

"Wow, is all i can think of. My husband is 6'4 260 pounds and loves it. We were a little worried it would be to small but no need to be now after driving it across country. The fuel mileage is 28 with ease. Seats 5 very confertable. Great looks with great interior features sets it far above the ford escape. Do yourself a favor and buy one if your looking for a reliable fuel efficiant smaller suv. Could not be happier."

great small suv

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"just traded in jeep liberty, worst truck on gas mileage. but still loved it. needed better gas mileage tho'. really like this mariner but the noise is annoying after speeds of 40 mph. maybe ford can put the transfer case someplace else than under the drivers seat. i just turn the music up. it looks great, handles nicely, would buy another when they get rid of the noise."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Mariner near Honolulu. See local deals