2008 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews

Best Overall Small SUV - 21st centrury Jeep

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Power/MPG/Interior/4WD/SYNC/Towing"

Cons: "Road noise & GET 09' OR NEWER FOR 6SPD TRANS"

"Bought this SUV to save on gas (had a 13mpg truck). But didn't want to compromise 4WD or space for fam. I was skeptical at 1st but this thing is great. V6 has 240HP & I GET 25MPG OVERALL(21-22city/26-27hwy) w/4WD! The fold flat seats offer good hauling options, it tows 3500lbs, interior impresses, SYNC is nice, great safety. Sure it's not as manly a Full-size truck, but it pleases hauling my friends around to the bar(great sound system/ambient lights), keeps me happy when I travel to mills/plants for work(MPG/USB port for MP3/storage for equipment)& it keeps my family comfortable & safe in OH winters (4WD/stability control). That's manly enough for me."

Could be better

By on Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Pros - fanstatic styling, tall like a real truck; noticed that it is the same height as my wife's Honda Pilot. Very good suspension, you hear the bumps but don't feel them. Excellent fuel consumption, averages 26.5mpg combined; seems mpg gets better after the engine is broken in around 1500 miles Cons-those seats are just horrible, feels like FORD just drapped fabric over the seat spring. Very poor finish. Must confes no rattling after 2 months, but if you step out of the honda and stepped into the mariner, it feels like you have just moved into a cheaply made car. Bought mariner because i wanted a domestic; i make my living by selling to a few companies that really do design and manufacture things in america. Nice effort, Ford can do better. Would recommend because i hope by the 2009 model, Ford would have addressed the terrible seat issues; a common complain from many users."

Excellent vehicle!

By on Sunday, June 08, 2008

"We've had our '08 Mariner for about 6 months now. Absolutely no problems with it. I wish the seats were a little softer, but they have been adequate. We have a pretty basic model so not too many bells and whistles. It's a V6, 2WD. Never had any issues during the winter months with not being AWD, even with a few snow and ice storms. Traction control seemed to work pretty well. Gas mileage varies a lot based on speed and your right foot. My wife has a heavy foot and gets from 18-22 out of it. I drive quite a bit more conservatively and typically get 22-29. I've even had it get a little better on occasion (up to 32 on one tank). We previously owned a '00 Mountaineer and had extremely good luck with it (230,000 miles with less than $400 worth of repairs when we sold it). The vehicle we traded in for the Mariner was an '06 Honda Civic Si. Quality has been superior with the Mariner! With the amount of miles we've put on the Mariner the Civic already had rattles, the transmission needed to be fixed, and the cold engine driveability was horrible. Zero complaints with the Mariner. Hopefully it will end up being as reliable as the Mountaineer was."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted