2008 Mercury Mariner

Based on 143 Ratings for the 2008 - 2011 models.

Unexpected pleasure

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"I bought my Mariner based on price. I was not in love with it when I picked it up, but it really grew on me. First, it has one of the most comfortable interiors of any small SUV on the market. Mine is the 2.5 liter 4 cyl AWD model and when new I could only get 26 mpg on the highway, but now I see 28 mpg on a regular basis. A month after picking it up I had to drive through a major winter storm and was amazed at how the Mariner coped with the slick snow and ice. My experience had always been in Part Time 4 Wheel Drive trucks, where you either had to pull a lever or at least push a button to engage. The lack of such a button and and indication that AWD was engaged caused a little unease, but I made that 2 hour drive through the worst winter storm I had ever experienced with no slip or slide. It may not be cutting edge styling, but comfortable and capable with very decent economy have really proven the Mariner's worth. Heated Leather seats, moonroof, nice stereo and SYNC add all the extra near luxury touches for a very reasonable price"

Best Overall Small SUV - 21st centrury Jeep

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Power/MPG/Interior/4WD/SYNC/Towing"

Cons: "Road noise & GET 09' OR NEWER FOR 6SPD TRANS"

"Bought this SUV to save on gas (had a 13mpg truck). But didn't want to compromise 4WD or space for fam. I was skeptical at 1st but this thing is great. V6 has 240HP & I GET 25MPG OVERALL(21-22city/26-27hwy) w/4WD! The fold flat seats offer good hauling options, it tows 3500lbs, interior impresses, SYNC is nice, great safety. Sure it's not as manly a Full-size truck, but it pleases hauling my friends around to the bar(great sound system/ambient lights), keeps me happy when I travel to mills/plants for work(MPG/USB port for MP3/storage for equipment)& it keeps my family comfortable & safe in OH winters (4WD/stability control). That's manly enough for me."

Better Than Expected

By on Saturday, June 27, 2009

"When I went to purchase my first new vehicle after graduating, I agonized over and researched every detail of dozens of vehicles. I finally decided that I wanted an SUV, but I had always said I would never buy one because of the terrible fuel economy. I started looking at the hybrids and fell in love with the Mariner. It was good looking, got great gas mileage, good reviews and had been around for a few years. I don't belive in buying a car that just came out; it takes a while to work out the kinks and I don't want to be a guinea pig. I went to test drive a regular Mariner because no one in TN had a hybrid. The 4 cylinder suited me just fine. If you want something that's fast, buy a 6 cylinder, if you want good gas mileage, buy a hybrid. You can't have it both ways. The guys at the dealership basically told me it was stupid to buy a hybrid in TN, that it wasn't worth the extra money and I would have to wait 3 months if I ordered one. I just smiled and told them to give me the paperwork. I'll wait, thank you. The hybrid arrived the same day we closed on our house, approx. 5 weeks after it was ordered. Let me tell you, it was worth the wait. My pretty blue SUV with the blue instrumentation and loads of cargo room makes me smile every time I look at it, even a year and a half later. It gets about 30mpg average in the winter and 32 in the summer (has to cut the engine on to keep the heater heating). The acceleration is good enough to pass on the highway and I can fold the rear seats down to put haul a recliner home from the furniture store. The sound system (I got the audiophile option with the CD changer) is loads of fun and the optional electrical outlet is so worth the 150 or so. You can plug in your laptop! I am a huge car buff and I don't regret anything about this purchase. They are a little more expensive for 2009 and I'm not sure what the tax credit is (I got $3000 in 07). I ended up paying about 1000 more for the hybrid than the base 4 cylinder, but with the much better fuel economy, it was worth it cuz I plan on keeping it awhile. I just checked the trade in and it's currently worth about 18000 after almost 2 years and 36000 miles. If you're thinking about this vehicle, have no reservations about taking the leap and ordering one. It costs 500 to place an order and you won't be disappointed!"

Love it!!!

By on Thursday, November 04, 2010

"Bought this in January 2010 and this car is amazing. It has a 4 cylinder engine and really drives better than any I've ever had. Great acceleration, power for steep inclines and just plain fun to drive. Living in New Mexico, these things are a must have for me. Mileage is good. I've already put almost 11,000 miles on it at 25 mpg average city and 29 highway, and the styling and features are better than what I was looking for. This car is smarter than I am, with the automatic lights, sync, reminder to get my key out of the ignition before it will lock the door, heated mirrors and more... I have 3 dogs and they (and any humans) I might transport have plenty of room. My friends are jealous!! For a smaller SUV it also has a great capacity for cargo. I can't say enough about it!"

Could be better

By on Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Pros - fanstatic styling, tall like a real truck; noticed that it is the same height as my wife's Honda Pilot. Very good suspension, you hear the bumps but don't feel them. Excellent fuel consumption, averages 26.5mpg combined; seems mpg gets better after the engine is broken in around 1500 miles Cons-those seats are just horrible, feels like FORD just drapped fabric over the seat spring. Very poor finish. Must confes no rattling after 2 months, but if you step out of the honda and stepped into the mariner, it feels like you have just moved into a cheaply made car. Bought mariner because i wanted a domestic; i make my living by selling to a few companies that really do design and manufacture things in america. Nice effort, Ford can do better. Would recommend because i hope by the 2009 model, Ford would have addressed the terrible seat issues; a common complain from many users."

Very happy with my Mariner Hybrid

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Have only had my Mariner Hybrid back to dealer only once, for annual/10,000 mile service. Handling, power, comfort is perfect for my use. Would recommend to anyone. Only drawback is scarce availability. Could not find one locally, and had to drive over 200 miles to pick up mine. But, well worth the drive."

Excellent vehicle!

By on Sunday, June 08, 2008

"We've had our '08 Mariner for about 6 months now. Absolutely no problems with it. I wish the seats were a little softer, but they have been adequate. We have a pretty basic model so not too many bells and whistles. It's a V6, 2WD. Never had any issues during the winter months with not being AWD, even with a few snow and ice storms. Traction control seemed to work pretty well. Gas mileage varies a lot based on speed and your right foot. My wife has a heavy foot and gets from 18-22 out of it. I drive quite a bit more conservatively and typically get 22-29. I've even had it get a little better on occasion (up to 32 on one tank). We previously owned a '00 Mountaineer and had extremely good luck with it (230,000 miles with less than $400 worth of repairs when we sold it). The vehicle we traded in for the Mariner was an '06 Honda Civic Si. Quality has been superior with the Mariner! With the amount of miles we've put on the Mariner the Civic already had rattles, the transmission needed to be fixed, and the cold engine driveability was horrible. Zero complaints with the Mariner. Hopefully it will end up being as reliable as the Mountaineer was."

satisfied customer

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"We traded in our 1999 Ford Expedition. We wanted better gas mileage and didn't have a good reason to be driving an eight passenger vehicle around anymore. Seating is a tad uncomfortable in the back, and you do hear the bumps when you are going along (but you don't really feel them ). I love the ice blue exterior and blue interior lighting, not to mention the moon and tune package. Hopefully the 2009 (or 2010)will be absolutely perfect. Would like to be inticed to buy again,....and so far I'm pretty much there."

great looker!

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

"I traded in my Pontiac Aztek for this sexier looking vehicle. I totally miss all the room I had in the Aztek, but this car gave me what I set out for -- better gas mileage, good performance and great styling! I must say, I miss a 6 cylinder, but for the savings in gas, I can put up with the 4. It performs quite well actually. A little nosier than a 6, but overall a great vehicle"

MEHH.....

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

"This vehicle was bought brand new and it is fully loaded (excluding the navi). as the vehicle started to age all of the plastic bits of the interior started to make annoying noises. The transmission BLOWS (because its a 4speed!!!!!), it can't get out of its own way when you need to accelerate on to the highway! the trans blew up at around 55k because you have to put your foot to the floor in order for the vehicle to move! But on a good note the vehicle is a very good at long distance trips, a grocery getter and great in the snow. Other than that its just ok....."

Primarily used on highway to work only

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "Awesome in winter and very safe car, Its solid"

Cons: "Cant honestly think of any"

"Really nice family car, I only drive it in the winter since I have a summer car(Mustang GT)."

perfect suv

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

"This SUV is awesome! It has great style and optional features. It gets good gas mileage and runs smoothly on the road. It has the perfect amount of room for a family of 5 + ample storage/luggage space. Don't regret getting this one! My favorite car ever."

very satisfied

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Traded in my Chevy Blazer and I am very happy with my Mariner and the gas mileage. My only disappointment is no compass or temp. display."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Smooth comfortable ride with good power"

Cons: "average to below average gas mileage"

"Great car. Very smooth and comfortable ride. Plenty of cargo space, and great power. The only draw back is it doesn't get great gas mileage."

Too bad 2011 was the last year for the Mariner.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas milage, ride and overall vehicle."

Cons: "Not being made any longer."

"The 2011 Mariner was and is an excellent vehicle. Average combined milage is around 25 mpg. Excellent for a powerful V6. No issues after the transmission was programed correctly. I would buy a new Mariner if there was such a vehicle."

best car i've owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "styling, fuel economy, engineering"

Cons: "interior finish easily marred by rings, watches in"

"love to fill up and see 508 miles to e."

Greatest Car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 06, 2010

"Drives like a car in most situations, but has the ability to behave like a small truck if you need it. Very comfortable inside with surprising room for a smaller SUV."

Worst vehiclel I have ever owned.

By on Tuesday, August 03, 2010

"Bought a Mercury Premium May 2009. Had a recall on the transmission and after the service on it, it still does not work properly. The is the worst built vehicle and most noise of any car I have ever owned. Would definitely not recommend it."

Terrific Everyday Car

By on Thursday, April 02, 2009

"Had my 2008 Mariner Premier since March 2007 and I LOVE it. I downgraded from a big Suburban and once I got used to the smaller size, I totally fell in love with the Mariner. It's easy to drive, easy to park, great gas mileage, quiet on the highway and in town, fits in the garage, takes 3 dogs to the vet easily, takes 4 adults to dinner just as easily, sound system is lovely on the highway to New Orleans and back as was the comfort of the ride to Mexico and back. I would absolutely buy this vehicle again. With the leather seats and sunroof on a nice spring day and the peppy V-6 you can almost pretend you have a convertible without all the ugly wind issues."

I love my Mariner

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I owned an 06 Mariner Hybrid but found out I couldn't flat tow it after I bought a motor home. I was very upset because I loved my truck and hated to have to trade it in for something that WAS flat towable. After doing some research, I found out that the 08 Mariner Hybrid WAS flat towable so I immediately went down to the dealership and traded in my 14-month-old 06 model for an 08 model that had just arrived on the lot. I am happy enough with the 08 model. I liked the color of my 06 (charcoal beige) way better than my 08 (black). And I like the interior styling of the 06 better than the 08. But my 08 has a plug for my MP3 player and it also has the dual climate controls along with the outside temperature gage that the 06 lacked. So that's nice. I'm not sure why the 08 doesn't have the the grab handles up by the windshield like the 06 did. It's something you don't think about until it's not there. Neither of my models had the stereo controls on the steering column (uh!) but it is available. All in all, I'm very content with my truck although my husband hates it (he says it's a girl's truck) and he wants a Hummer. (Ick)"

Love the Mariner!

By on Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I've had my new mariner for a month now. I love the comfort- it's roomy enough for my husbad to drive comfortably-unlike some other smaller SUV's we tried. I did my homework before buying. The crash rating for the front driver changed after June manufacturing and went up a star rating. Most people dont pay attention, but it was important to me to get one June or after for additional safety (this goes for Escapes too!)"

Nice car

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Traded my '03 Navigator for this. Very pleased with the fuel economy and ride comfort. Only shortcoming is the lack of lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat."

Wonderful SUV

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Responsive engine and handling. Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Not a smooth ride, truck-like qualities"

"This has been an excellent SUV. It is my 2nd Mariner. Too bad Ford is not making them anymore. The new Ford Escape doesn't even come close to this SUV in every respect."

This is my favorite vehicle in over 20 years...

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, easy"

Cons: "Price was higher than I wanted to pay but bought"

"This is a wonderful car - more roomy than the 2010 Escape I had; leather seats make all the difference and I enjoy the power sunroof. Very convenient, classy looking, and roomy."

Best small suv on market

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "everything about it."

Cons: "none,none,none and none."

"Wow, is all i can think of. My husband is 6'4 260 pounds and loves it. We were a little worried it would be to small but no need to be now after driving it across country. The fuel mileage is 28 with ease. Seats 5 very confertable. Great looks with great interior features sets it far above the ford escape. Do yourself a favor and buy one if your looking for a reliable fuel efficiant smaller suv. Could not be happier."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Mariner near Honolulu. See local deals