• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Mercury Mariner

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2008 - 2011 models.

Will NEVER buy an American car again!

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Noisy ride, cheap interior, no rear A/C standard."

"For over 20 years we had Nissan products and never had a problem with any of them. We also have a 2006 VW Jetta Diesel and that car has only had one recall and no mechanical problems. We traded our Murano in for the Mariner Hybrid because we needed something more fuel efficient and the Murano got TERRIBLE gas mileage (that's one thing that Nissan doesn't seem to care about). I looked at reviews of all Hybrid SUVs and the Mariner got very good marks out of the ones available in 2008. It was very difficult to find a car to test drive because dealerships at the time weren't stocking them, so you basically had to buy the car sight unseen. However, we lucked out and the dealership 2 miles from us had ONE on the lot. When we test drove it, we were not impressed with the interior even though it had the convenience packages and leather interior The door panels and the dash were all made out of cheap looking plastic. However, the ride was comfortable, and I have to say for an SUV, it gets around 25MPG in city driving. Where it has failed us is that last month, we received a recall in the mail for a mechanical failure on the power steering that could fail at any time without warning leaving the driver to deal with driving a heavy car with pure muscle. I was waiting to make a convenient appointment, when our neighbor knocked on the door and asked if we knew that the rear driver's seat window was down. I tried to bring it back up and could hear the motor whirring, but the window stayed in the down position. When I took it to the dealership for the recall, the technician explained to me that these electric windows have a scissor mechanism and the cables are steel, but the rotor is plastic and fails as it ages and gets brittle. OK, so $250 wasn't so bad. Yesterday (3 weeks after the first repair), I went to run some errands and pick up lunch on the way home. When I went to roll up the driver's window, it dropped! SAME problem! Since we have no garage and were expecting rain, I had to take it to the dealership and rent another car. I called FORD customer service and asked how I could complain about this and get some type of reimbursement for this faulty equipment. I was told there was nothing they could do, and there was no appeal process. The only thing I could do would be to write to FORD. I don't know why the other people rating this car love it so much. On the highway, it picks up road noise at an annoying level, has a very cheap looking interior for a $34,000 car, and at 6 years old is developing all kinds of rattles. That never happened with the Japanese cars we owned. I am disappointed - I though that the American auto makers had learned their lesson from the Japanese and other manufacturers, but I guess I was wrong. The double whammy is that it's worth 1/2 of what we paid for it when the engine compartment, interior, and exterior are still impeccable. The only defect is that someone had accidentally put a 3 inch scratch on the right side (fixed with touch-up paint and clearcoat), so it can't be rated as "perfect" condition. My VW Jetta which is a 2006 is worth almost as much and we only paid $23,000 for that one. I am done with Ford product. I have owned 3 Fords in my lifetime and they have all been pieces of junk."

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "SUPER VEHICLE"

Cons: "N/A"

"THIS CAR IS GREAT IN WINTER WEATHER!!! NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN TERRIBLE SNOWY CONDITIONS---MY HUSBAND, WHO DRIVES MY CAR, COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW WELL IT HANDLES IN BAD WEATHER. ACTUALLY, HE LOVES THIS CAR, TOO!! NO MATTER THE WEATHER, IT'S A GREAT VEHICLE!!"

Best vehicle I ever owned

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and plenty of power when you want it"

"My 2009 Mercury Mariner has never failed me. In the years I have owned the car I have replaced the battery once and had regular maintenance performed on the car. Will be driving this car when I pass. Carry my electric wheelchair most of the time and still get about 23 MPH. Best car I ever owned."

Has all anyone needs - very comfortable for SUV

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Great Family Vehicle"

Cons: "Ford stopped making them after 2012"

"excellent ride, excellent gas mileage, plenty of storage, very reliable, minimum maintenance. My original muffler & tires lasted more than 92,000 miles. NO RUST ANYWHERE!"

Really enjoy my Mariner!

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cons: "Make all cupholders adjustable to fit any size cup"

"Has a couple blind spots and rear headrests create a little more obstruction to view."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Mariner near Honolulu. See local deals