2000 Mercury Cougar

7.4

Based on 419 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

Problematic

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"I have had my 2002 mercury cougar for a little over a year now. I love the look and cuteness of the car. The interior and extior is excellent appearance wise. But the maintenance, not so much. My water pump is cracked, me EGR valve needs to be replaced along with my radiator and also have a coolant leak. The CD player stopped working within 2 months of owning the car and the moonroof also does not work."

BEST FIRST CAR!

By on Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I purchased this car as my first car. I wanted something that was cute, stylish, and overall reliable. I get over 30 miles to the gallon. I love that it is a 5 speed. The only maintenance I've ever had to do to it is the regular up keep, and a timing belt change. I love it and I'll be sad to see it go. My only dislike is that is has a cassette player rather than a cd player."

Both the Beauty and the Beast

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"I've had this car for a year and a half now. I have the 1999 model and love it. The Good: It's a beautiful car, the sleek lines keep it looking newer than it truly is. It drives great and the handling is amazing. The previous owner took great care of it, so the interior is in perfect condition and the paint only has small, minor scratches. The seats are quite comfortable. I don't have children, and haven't sat in the back seats for longer than a second so I can't say too much about them. The moonroof is perfect for nice days when you just want to drive with the windows down and enjoy the weather. I love that its a unique car and there aren't too many of them (well in South FL at least.) The Bad: The moonroof motor burned out on me recently. The headlights had to be replaced along with the power steering. The cupholder design is ridiculous. It's meant to save space and probably worked on paper, but if you make a hard right, your drink will be in your lap (especially bad with hot coffee.) I tried a store-bought cupholder that is supposed to fit in the window and hang next to the door, but it didn't fit. One of the speakers doesn't work, and I replaced the radio because I wanted an auxilary jack. The check engine light usually on, but it normally says there is an emissions control problem that I already fixed. The trunk doesn't always stay up when you need it too, it will unexpectedly fall down. I either be prop it up or hold it because I'm afraid of my own car injuring me. Overall, its a great vehicle . You can find them for pretty good prices since their aging cars. Most of the problems I've encountered are due to the age of the car more than the actual car. One has to accept that probems occur with 11 year old cars. However, the cupholder problem annoys me to no end though. After this car I will mostly likely go with a foreign make simply because thats always been my preference. I gave it a 4/5 overall because the minor problems can add up and the power steering failed."

Cougar

By on Monday, January 7, 2008

"Great Car, only complaint is the trunk doesn't always pop open on the first attempt. Great Engine and fun steering."

Great value

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I've had my 2001 Cougar for 4.5 years now. It's the best car for the money I've ever had, even thought it's one of the cheapest. It now has 68000 miles and I haven't had any problems with it. 2.5L V6 lacks some punch, but it's okay. I also like the styling. I don't think I could have bought a better car with the money I paid."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Cougar near Honolulu. See local deals