1992 Mercury Cougar

8.4

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

111,100 aprox.

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Fully independent suspension,good power,comfort."

Cons: "Shifts to OD to fast."

0 Rust.My 1997 XR-7 Cougar.

"I have the anniversary edition Cougar XR-7 with the SOHC 4.6 V-8 and the 3 speed OD=4 transmission.I average 24mpg daily driving a mix of hilly roads and highways.I love this car it never lets me down starts without fail,hot, cold,snow,rain night or day.Corners excellent due to the rear independent suspension a BIG .Mine has the am/fm cassette,which is outdated,nothing to complain about cause it sounds AWESOME,really good stock stereo system.I would rate this car on a scale of 1 through 10 a 9.I'm 38yrs old and this is by far one of the most dependable and funnest car i'v yet to own."

0 Rust.My 1997 XR-7 Cougar.

21 YEARS OLD - Still Runs Like New Out Of Factory

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Pros: "Car never dies - Engine very strong to this day"

Cons: "You might get tempted to push - milage DOWN"

"I originally purchased my 1994 XR7 in 2006 with 84K miles on it -> Intent was originally to buy a car that I knew would last me for at least 3 yrs (after a drunk driver totaled my then 2004 Audi A6 and owing $4K after insurance paid total value to get out of loan) - Well 9 YEARS later, I still own it and love driving it. Suspension on car is excellent along with handling around curves or coming off exits. Interior front dash, all side doors, seats(other than driver), & headliner are literally like new out of showroom to this day. With windows up, cannot here outside noise from tires, etc., unless large truck or motorcycle goes by. Also own a newer Lexus ES350 & the XR7 is just as quiet when driving. XR7 was ahead of it's time -> was 1st true 5 seat family sports car (not including 60's & 70's muscle cars). I say this, because it has options that my Lexus even does not have -> for instance, if bad accident & car rolls over, gas automatically shuts off so car will not ignite and burst into flames -> 2nd unusual feature (that my Lexus doesn't have) is that if you leave on interior lights, radio, or anything, the car automatically shuts off electrical power within 1 hr from battery so battery will not go dead. Has timed auto headlight shutoff. Also has a feature that you definitely want in a older vehicle -> let's say you lock keys in car or ignition (which I am guilty of more than once, now what do you do, call AAA - NO, car has a numeral security code entry to punch in (above drivers side door handle) and then you can unlock 1 or both doors, even trunk -> 2nd scenario, you can place all your keys, valuables you don't want chance of being stolen in trunk if they are to heavy and lock car by security code on door. Later open with code when needed afterwards. Plus more options. I have as previously have mentioned owned car for 9 yrs now, in that,I had not had a MAJOR repair need in vehicle other than regular maintenance, tires, battery, etc. I have one that has an imitation convertible roof -> sets car apart from any car on road. When I park it alongside any even all new cars with the rounded bodies that almost all look the same, the XR7 stands out with ALOT of CHARACTER that the auto industry left behind. Too bad. I have the V8 in car and on highway only, I get more than respectaful mileage for an older V8 (4.6L) -> 25 - 27 MPG. Real decent for a V8 sports car. City - highway not as good 18 - 20 MPG. Long story short - If you are thinking about and lucky enough to find an older XR7, I am telling you cannot go wrong for the money. These cars were so well built that they last and last and last."

This car will NEVER quit!!!!

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

"I bought my 1997 Cougar new and had it custom ordered from the factory. Man, am I glad I got it exactly the way I wanted it since I have had it now for 17 years and it is still going strong. I have a long commute each day (100 miles total) and I can't imagine doing it in any other car. I just clicked over 322,000 miles on it earlier this week. I haven't had any major repairs on it in all that time, just normal wear-and-tear items. The engine is original and I didn't have to have the transmission rebuilt until I hit the 290,000 mile mark. I do all the recommended maintenance and it runs as good today as it did when new. I keep it garaged both at home and work, so even the paint still looks good. The V-8 has ample power for freeway merges and gets surprisingly good mileage, but it's definitely not a hybrid! :) I absolutely LOVE this car!"

Great cars

By on Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Have owned 2 cougars: 1985 XR7 with the 4 cyc turbo for 10 years and 164K miles. Then the 1995 XR7 V8 4.6L engine. The 1985 overheated a lot but loved the car. Replaced the radiator with a larger one and that helped but didn't solve the problem. The 1995 has 216K miles now and I've replaced the transmission, cat converter, and am now looking at replacing multiple items. Has lots of spunk under the hood. I've definitely got my money's worth from this car. Why Ford stopped making them I'll never understand."

It's just wonderful.

By on Friday, January 6, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Highway Gas Mileage, Spacious Seats"

Cons: "Cup holders in awkward place, power"

"It has an elderly appeal, but it is a very comfortable and reliable vehicle. I am only 17, and have had the car for over 3,500 miles with only one issue (related to it sitting so long before I got it). It's not very quick, but it does good on the interstate. I LOVE the seats, and I love the quality of driving. Highly suggest for someone who wants a cheap and reliable vehicle. Don't let age scare you."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Cougar near Honolulu. See local deals