2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 149 Ratings for the 2004 - 2011 models.

It's almost too good

By on Sunday, June 22, 2008

"I have had a tumultuous love affair with this car for the last 3 1/2 years. The experience has been so positive that I want to feel this feeling again, so I keep looking for another car that I want more. The trouble is, short of buying a Ferrari, I can not find any other car that does for me what this one does. It's like dating a supermodel."

fun car

By on Friday, February 1, 2008

"this is a great car to drive full of enjoyment."

We were lucky!

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"Purchased this car May 2007. 9500 Miles on it. Purchased at a great price well below KBB wholesale at the time. (worth as much now or more) Car drives excellent and handels well. We did have a tire problem (19" wheels) Dealer was very reputable and took care of this. Had a complete alignment done after we replaced two front tires and the vehicle runs perfect. A great FUN car and the retractable hard top is a joy! We replaved a 1996 Corvette with this and although it is no corvette it is a much eaiser car to handle and drive. This was an easy choice as my wife drives this and the Corvette was getting to hard for her to drive.!"

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Love it! Very fun and powerful! I love the fact that it is a hard top convertible! Highly recommended!"

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

Awsome Head Turner

By on Friday, November 16, 2007

"Been driving the wheels off this car since 2005. Its performance is exceptional compared to BMW and Porsche roadsters which I have owned and/or rented."

a true beast, AMG

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"great looks, power this car has it all! carrera handles better but, this will destroy it 0-60 mph. you dont need a stick with this 7-spd auto. great 8 cyl sound. ride is great w/ roof down, head turner!"

Fun car

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"fun car, very uncomplicated."

A+

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"5 Star's All Around...Getting ready for my lease to end and I'm not looking forward to having to give it back......very quality car.....LOTS & LOTS of complements.....even picked up a couple girls on the highway in this !!!"

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"This car is a lot of fun to drive, just not for a long distance. I have the AMG suspension and it makes for a very stiff ride. The upshot is, you don't have to slow down around corners. It handles like it's on rails. I would like a bit more comfort in the seats though."

I love it!!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

"I really love this car. Ok it's not the most practical car I've ever had but it's the most fun and certainly turns heads!! Having said that it has a lot of little storage compartments inside for its size and with the top up the trunk isn't a bad size for a 2 seater sports. It is a beautiful car to look at, goes like a bullet and handles really well - sticks to the road like glue!!. Considering how firm the suspension needs to be for the car it is, the ride is pretty smooth and not a bone shaker at all. I get very good mpg (20 local and 25 highway) for the car it is and much better than my BMW 330ci gave me. So yes I love it and would fully recommend one to anyone."

Nice pocket rocket

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"I've had this car since Dec 2004. Other than regular service it's been in the shop only once for a Check Engine light. Only other problem is that the top groans and creaks over bumps. This is not normally a problem except that I live off a dirt road that is like a washboard after rains and snows. The cockpit sounds like the engine room of the QE2. The car looks terrific and really moves when you ask it. I actually like it better than the SL class. Only major complaint is there is about 1 cu ft of free space in the cabin and only a few more in the trunk with the top down. It makes anything but a weekend trip pretty impractical. Heck, there isn't even space in the cabin for the owner's manual. Also, the funky material MB used for the soft touch surfaces on the dash etc., scuffs if you even glance in its direction. What were they thinking? It can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth and I think they replaced it in later years. The seats are reasonably comfortable but there isn't much room for adjustment and they really need lumbar support for long trips."

Great car.

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Style, Fun drive, great quality"

Cons: "Tight compartment, cup holders"

"I have owned this car for 5 years with no problems. Looks great with top up or down. Still turning heads when I drive around town."

Gonna Love It!

By on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"SLK 280 - 6 cyl. 2007 I bought my 2007 SLK 280 used with 9500 miles on it in Feb. 2011 and have put 1,000 miles on it. It is an automatic with manual mode, and has stability control, power seats on both sides with memory, power steering wheel adjustment, power retractable hardtop, decent trunk space (esp. if you keep the top up), manual air, regular audio with 6 CD changer in the glove box, no phone, no nav, no “windscarf,” no heated seats. I test drove a Maxda Miata MX5 (nice) and an RX8 (not so nice). I also drove a Porsche Boxster and Cayman. The Porsche’s are great to drive, but the rear engine noise in the driving compartment was more than I could stand. The SLK gives me nearly equal driving pleasure and more comfort - it is a great blend between performance, handling, and luxury. I previously owned a Lexus SC 300 (more luxury than performance) and a Toyota Supra (great blend). The SLK 280 has plenty of pep, handles like it is on rails (you see this comment in other reviews and it is true), has good driver feedback, handles most bumps satisfactorily, has very good visibility, good ergonomic cockpit position, low wind noise, and eye catching appearance. I get unsolicited comments about now nice it is. While the Mazda was very nice, it won’t turn heads like the SLK and I like that! If I had some do-overs, I would like: automatic climate control, stereo with speakers behind the seats (can’t do post factory), maybe heated seats and the “windscarf” feature behind your neck. If I could get Mercedes to improve the car, they could: put cup holders in the center console and not on the dash above the radio, improve the sound proofing between the driver’s area and the trunk and wheel wells (I added some padding), move the CD changer out of the glove box (it takes up all the room), reduce the noise on the fan unit at higher speeds, add a bit more lumbar support, add just a touch more side view mirror space, provide scratch plates on the front air dam for when you run it up on a curb (it’s low and hits a curb sooner than you think), improve the stiffness of the chassis with the top down over 70 mph. (top up it is smooth at higher speeds, but top down over 70+ creates random vibrations), enable the two rear windows to go up with the fronts while the top is down, equalize the tire sizes to enable rotation. Should you buy this car? Absolutely! I have virtually parked my 2008 Toyota Highlander so I can drive my little red sports car. It just feels good behind the wheel. But, test drive your potential purchase thoroughly. I drove several SLKs and they did not feel the same."

2004 SLK Special Edition

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"This car was supposed to keep me from getting a motorcycle - that didn't work, I got the bike too. We looked at the Corvette, the new ones cost far too much, and the used ones looked beat up. We then looked at a used BMW Z3, but the top "sucks up" in the aerodynamics and looks goofy. On the lot, they had a used (2003) SLK, so I looked at it. It was fine, but the price was high, so much so that the price of a 2004 one was a better deal to me, so we bought a new 2004, last model year of this body style. We had the infamous tail light problem, but the well known recall took care of that, but not without some stress about it NOT being covered first. Then some funky, off the wall problems developed with electrical issues. To this day, I might sit in the car, start it up, and the left overhead light won't work, but the right one does. Forever, I never really thought about it, but a week or so ago, the turn signals would not work at all, but they did just moments before (I had turned off, and restarted the car between delivering stuff to clients). When I got home, I tried to check out the fuses (which are under the hood in front of the driver) and I did not see anything obviously wrong. When I got back in the car, both of the overhead lights worked, and so did the turn signals - I had done nothing! The left overhead light went out again today, I lowered, then raised the roof, and the darn thing worked again. Sometimes a light out warning will shine on the dash, like when the problem with the tail lights was going on, but other times it doesn't. Other than the freaky "My mother the car" ghostly occurrences, and one freaky shutting off for no reason when stepping on the gas situation, the car basically runs great. Sometimes the idle is rough. I call it "tumbling" but it is as if the car will stall out, but it never has. This is the very first thing I ever noticed. The tail light thing had me hating the car for a while, but with the recall fix, I liked the car again. The way I tell my wife is that when the stuff on the car works - I absolutely love it. The little four cylinder car really moves out, the handling is sweet and the car just feels solid. I only drop the roof down in evening hours, the sun here is far too bright for top down driving in the sun, but on cool evenings, it is great. Being the last model year in this body style is something I enjoy, and the car gets admiring looks, which is nice. Over all, with the total experience that I have had with this car, knowing what I know now, I would NOT have purchased it. It is a fun car, I have really enjoyed it - for the most part, but I'm done with that now. I really love my Honda Civic, ten years old, it still gets 30 MPG (SLK gets about 22), and is running strong. The SLK wouldn't be able to do what the Civic has. With that, it has been a really fun car to drive around in. I would NOT recommend a Mercedes Benz, unless that is absolutely what you want. What I would recommend is that you really identify what you want your car for, and what you expect from it. I expect incredible economy, reliability and affordability. I like my car to be die hard bullet proof in reliability, every Honda I have ever owned has been just that, this car, while fun, is not. It is what it is, a topless runabout for fun. If you have the cash for that, and don't need economy or die hard reliability, and want a hard top convertible, this is a fun car to do that with. I have owned this car from it's first day off the lot. Hope that is helpful."

awsome car

By on Thursday, September 27, 2007

"This is a solid car, It handels like no others, But its not made for long Distance drive."

Perfect two seater convertible

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Purchased one of the first 350slk's. I don't typically buy the first model year but I was too excited to wait. I was not disappointed! The car is fun to drive in any road conditions including ice and snow. The weight and the computer limited slip feature keeps you going in a straight line. For fun in dry weather you are able disable the limited slip making for some fun rubber burning starts. The engine has a great purr, especially with the top down, adding to the experience. The overall experience has been great. I have not needed one extra service, only the scheduled ones, for anything wrong (current mileage 26,000). This is a great car for the person that appreciates a two-seater convertible that has power and handling along with head turning looks. The car is a great value compared to others in this category. It is my intention to keep this car for at least 10 years. This is quite a change as I normally by a new car every year or two. Does it compare to the 1996 911 that I previously owned? No! It is however, a close second for a min. of a $30,000 savings. Great compromise in the 50K range."

fun car , had many complements, "nice car"

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "fun car to drive, reasonably priced used"

Cons: "cup holders bad location, parts expensive"

""do you want to sell it? no !!!!"

Dream Car

By on Monday, February 14, 2011

"At 42 seeking to recapture the thrill of youth. What a Masterpiece! I love this car. It is everything I always wanted in a car...... good-looking little roadster that's easy to live with. Decent power, very nice handling, excellent seats, better than average quality of materials, ahhhhh and the retractable hardtop. Lets not forget Mercedes cachet. This is not your boring looking Miata, cheap yesterteck Sky / Soltice, Tic-Tac shaped TT, or for that matter the plain spartan interior - big nosed and unreliable Z4. The only car in this category that I would consider over the SLK is the Boxster. But, there are too many on the road and the exterior look is not at par with the SLK."

Everyone's Dream Car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Great car! Bought it pre-owned with 40K miles and have now put on 6K myself. Where can you find a roadster for this value and looks twice the money? Everything is solid and performance makes it thrilling to drive. Reviews are pretty dead on. Mine is a 2006 black and tan with sports package. Heard they fixed the issues with the 06 models. I guess due to the sports package, it does ride roadstereee (you feel the bumps - all of them). Retractable cup holders over dash nav system was a bad idea. Sorry Starbucks... if your drink does not have a spill proof lid you will wash your electronics. Needs a lumbar feature. And biggest problem is the front end is too low. Hits/scapes everything. Dips in road are the enemy! Even MB dealer tore front end off backing it off the rack. Harmin Karmin sound system on pass side cant take some dbs of music (not even loud). Last big complaint is the center column compartment on these model sticks and it just doesn't look too classy or safe driving down the road beating the tar out of the lid to unstick it to get to your phone or wallet. With all of that said, you just can't rate this car below excellent on all levels. The above stuff is just minor flaws, but when your friends stand in front of the car and stare ... the car could have come with a bearded lady and no one would notice! Took the roadster on a 5 ballpark road trip with my teenage son in 6 days. Top down and floored! Best time of our lives!!! Great fuel economy (about 28 mpg). So Cal to SF in one tank. And the unique heaters built into the back of the seats that blow and keep your neck warm are awesome. I'm 40, it's my daily driver and I disagree with the other reviews... it's the reason to take a long trip. And with the awesome to watch retractable hardtop, my kids say it's not the Batmobile, but the unltimate Transformer. I have to agree! I heard that the Hamptons are littered with Porsches and BMWs, etc... But there is just not too many people driving these and that does make you stand out on the crowded roads of California or anywhere for that matters. Heck of a lot of fun!!!"

Fun, small and economical

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun, practical, easy to drive and park, beautiful."

Cons: "Two seater only, small trunk space."

Just like new!

"This is a great car because it is designed and built with great quality and even after over 12 years since its introduction, is a very up-to-date car in appearance and technology. This is the last year for this design before a new one was introduced, and is the Special Edition model in Brilliant Silver with a Charcoal leather interior. It still draws lots of stares and is a very nice performer on the road. It has the smaller four-cylinder engine with the factory supercharger system that gives plenty of boost when needed while giving nearly 30 mpg. The hardtop convertible feature is very nice and is easy to operate. This allows the car to be used year-round and keeps the interior quiet while the top is up."

Just like new!

not happy with MB

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"350slk in shop more than on the road. Electrical problems plus other problems regularly."

SPORTY-DYNAMIC-ALWAYS IN STYLISH LUXURY

By on Friday, July 4, 2014

Pros: "HOLDS VALUE, IN DEMAND, ALWAYS IN STYLE, RELIABLE"

Cons: "HUSBAND AND WIFE ARGUE OVER WHO GETS TO DRIVE"

"Ownership is a pleasure and fun to drive. A true luxury sports car that is eye catching and head turning."

great fun vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

"I purchased my 2002 SLK230 as a certified used in 2003 have had only 1 problem and it was cleared up easily and inexpensivly has been great 20 MPG looks great drives great it's my wifes driver and it still looks like new"

This car has been babied.

By on Sunday, January 3, 2016

Pros: "Great fun to drive."

With the top up!

"My SLK spent most of it's life in Florida and now in MO for a couple years. It is in excellent shape as I have kept up with all maintenance as well been garaged since new. I am getting too old to get into a roadster and want to purchase a new or used CLA-45 AMG!"

With the top up!