• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I've owned 2 SLKs...

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have owned two of these, a 1999 SLK 230 and a 2001 SLK 320. Both are essentially the same trim/body package. Beautiful cars to look at, very reliable, very fun to drive. However, VERY expensive to repair even small problems. Also, not very comfortable at all, even for a roadster. Feels like a go-cart on rough roads. The SLK 230 with the supercharged four is ok in power and good on gas, but a bit slow, especially compared to the 3.2 liter 6 the 320 comes with. The 320 is much quicker and feels more like a true roadster. Overall, a tremendous value. You can pick up one in excellent condition, with less than 50k miles for $15k or less. No better value for a roadster, especially a retractable hardtop! Great cars."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

hm

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"this is a wonderful fun vehicle to drive - however it has been in the shop numerous times and always for at least a minimum of 1 week each time. Thank goodness I have the extended warrranty so each visit only cost the deductible of $50 - the repairs have been for major items - replace roof seals, oil pan gasket leak, differential leak, blower motor for ac and heat, 2 new radios, etc etc - wonderful vehicle - just get the extended warranty!!"