• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 163 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"This is the 3rd convertible I have owned and first hard-top. Love the fact that I can be protected in rough weather. Quiet on freeway with top up. Love driving back roads with the top down. Great mileage - 25 mpg with the 320 V-6. I have the same engine in my 1998 ML320 and have 140K trouble-free miles. Yes, it is small but the handling is great. Wife loves the tip-tronic automatic. Would definitely buy another."

Speed and comfort

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I bought this 2002 SLK 32 in January 2009. It is very fast , handles great and nice body style for an older Benz. The hard top convertible gives maximum security and folds down quick and easy. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes to have fun when driving. Don't tell my wife I bought it because she might want to drive it. LOL"

Perfect small convertible

By on Friday, October 03, 2008

"The 4 cyl engine gets decent mileage -- I get 25 mpg, day in, day out, and over 33 mpg on long freeway trips. Yes, it's premium, but at least it isn't guzzling at 15 mpg. The roof is amazing and I really like the fact that you can't get in it with a butter knife like the other guys' ragtops. Ten years and just scheduled maintenance (did have an expensive warranty claim for the roof, but no issues getting it fixed). Started first time, every time. Styling -- hey, it's an MB convertible! Who doesn't like that? Plus, I was replacing a Supra at the time. The Supra cost $5k more. Tough choice -- MB convertible & $5K in my pocket or a Toyota Supra without the turbo (illegal in CA). As long as it keeps running, I'll keep driving it! It's always a fun car to drive..."

My lowest mileage 1999 SLK in the USA

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, weather-proof top."

Cons: "Trunk is small w/top down"

"I ordered this car from Germany to get the Special Red "Salsa" interior with a manual 5 speed. Silver with 2 custom pinstrips thin red to match red interior and red valve cover. Front end bra and heated seats. I became disabled and have not driven it in 8-9 years. Waxed and clean and in the garage covered with ONLY 17,000. original one owner miles. I am 6 ft 3 in and 230 lbs and it was the only car in its class that I had plenty of room (as all Mecedes are). I could not get into a Por. Boxter literally !! I would like to have the dealer go though the car and get a battery and it will be a pure classic for someone. I have spent hours looking for one with less mileage on the internet and it simply does not exist. Not a spot on this car inside or out. With the top up the SLK is rated to have a bigger trunk than a Bmw 3 series sedan !! With the top down (inside the trunk) the trunk can only handle a couple bags or you can stuff things under the top. My car will end up as a preserved SLK in a time capsule saved for a future example of 20th century autos. (unless you find me and buy it)"