• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Poor Start - good end

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I bought my '98 SLK230 used in 2002 when it had 27K on it...and am so glad I purchased the extended warranty, for had I not, I would have spent an addition $10K on the vehicle! Even tho I never drove the car hard, it was in the shop almost every month during my first 2 years of ownership -- most of the problems were electrical/microchip/sensor related issues. In the 3rd year of ownership, the turbo needed to be replaced ($6K). I had sworn that if I had one more problem, I was going to sell it and go back to owning Hondas! Well, excepting some axle bearing replacements, it's been 3 years since it's last repair and I've been able to enjoy its awesome fun, quiet, & smoothe drive. It's never in want for power. With the top down, it's a really pleasant cruise. The steering is not roadster-like...a little heavy, actually, with a tendency to be a bit overly sensitive. Overall, had I not had the repair problems (after years of owning trouble-free Hondas), I'd probably had given this car a solid 4+ stars. Had it been during the first 3 years, I'd have been quite gracious in giving more than 2 on the "Value/Reliability" scale. I have noticed that the first years of production on this car were questionable, and that with the release of the SLK320 (not the smaller 2-3-0), the ratings were much impoved. I'd stay away from the '98 to 2001 SLK230 models, but other than that, Mercedes does seem to live up to the reputation of a high performing vehicle that wants to be, and now seems to be, "trouble free". Additionally, although the recommended servicings for this vehicle are every 10K, I always schedule 3500 mile oil changes. The cost of regular servicings/ownership of this vehicle is comparable to most vehicles as the REGULAR schedule maintenance is less frequent and priced only slightly higher tan that of most vehicles in "lesser" classes...in this regard I'd say its value is quite good. Head-height/leg room is great but trunk space (even with the top up) is good for about 6 bags of groceries, a back pack, and your CD case."

GREAT CAR BUT BE SPECIFIC WHEN BUYING ONE!

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas and is very flashy"

Cons: "YOU WILL NEED TO REPAINT THE INTERIOR***"

"The car is a total blast and gets thumbs up everywhere I go. Mechanically the car is great. Disregard all the comments about the transmission going out. Most likely a sensor has went out or the fluid was never changed. The trans and engine are reliable as long as they are maintained. Beware**** you will have to re-paint the interior sometime in the life of the car. Almost all SLK'S are notorious for peeling paint. I just finished mine and it took me a good week to remove and re-paint the whole interior, but it was well worth it. I would also recommend using COLORBOND to repaint the interior. Man, this paint is like it came down from the heavens. No joke it is that good."

I love my SLK230!

By on Friday, June 24, 2011

Pros: "Love to drive this car!! Convertible is quick and easy, gas mileage is awesome!"

Cons: "cup holder is in weird spot and chipping on console (but still love it)"

"I bought my (preowned) 2002 SLK230 in 2002 with 4,000 miles and now have over 124,k on this car. I love it! I am not a technical person at all... I take the car in when the light tells me to. Once the warranty expired, it costs me about $900-1000 a year to maintain. Not a bad trade off considering the gas mileage, even for this older model is 30mpg on the freeway! The only challenge I have is the console paint is chipping in one area only (by emergency brake). I blamed it on my little dog until I read another review that has the same issue. Other than this, the car has been PERFECT!! It is reliable, I've driven it across the states 3 x with no worries at all. I'll miss this car when she's gone."

Sweet little cruiser

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"This is my second (2001 SLK320), my first one had to be traded in when I married (instant family...). Love the looks (hate the 2005+ editions). Love the 320 V6 - much stronger than my original 230 Kompressor, with not much difference in mileage. Repairs are expensive (had to have a rear quarterlight window regulator replaced - $800), but it hasn't needed much for an older car. Insurance is reasonable (personal injury and liability cheaper than our van, comprehensive more expensive.) I wonder if the people complaining of a harsh ride have the sport option - mine doesn't, and my only complaint is getting in and out (but I'm fat and 50+, so...) Drives fast and firm, lots of fun on an open road, and a reasonably agile street fighter in the city. More trunk room w/ the top down than an MX-5 does any time. Plenty of leg room, but there is no (0) room behind the seats, just a solid bulkhead. Mileage s reasonable (22-24 in town). If you can do a 2 seater, great car!"

SLK32 review

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I have a year 2002 SLK32 AMG. Other than minor problems with the roof retracting mechanism, the SLK32 has been an absolute hoot every passing mile. I drove another SLK32 from Kansas City to Baltimore and found that the seats do not induce back pain like some other makes have, and after 17 hours on the road I felt refreshed and ready for another drive. It feels rock solid and tracks effortlessly on jointed highways at 130mph, but beyond that it starts to lose a little steam. The brakes have good bite and feel reassuringly strong. The Bose audio system has resonant bass, and the output is loud enough to be able to enjoy music top-down at highway speeds. To date, I have not felt the need to replace the audio system components with anything aftermarket; it is superb as is. The charcoal interior is starting to flake a bit with wear, but the seats are holding up nicely after almost 70K miles on the odo. The inside is still quiet, fittings are tight and you won't hear an orchestra of crashing sounds driving over bumps, unlike some other convertibles I have driven. Hopefully the car will hold up for many years. It still looks stunning; the styling is classic. Pros: Absolute hoot from 0-60, with enough power leftover to pass rock-flinging rigs in a hurry. Dashing good looks. Fair fuel economy considering the 349hp you get. I generally avg 19mpg if I am judicious. Expect 14mpg or less if you let the supercharged 3.2 take over your senses. Cons: The recirculating ball steering isn't the best choice for sporting intentions, but for everyday use and highway cruising the steering is just fine. The maintenance is quite costly at the dealership, so you have to know what you're getting into. Overall: Such a fine, compact package of style, comfort and available power, I will own this one until it runs into the ground."

sporty, fun a solid vehicle!

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I bought this vehicle with 50,000 miles on it, has 108,000 miles on it now. Repairs have been few, but can be costly at times. I trust my car to take me anywhere without hesitation. Peppy, fun and solid. I highly recommend this vehicle if it has good preventative maintenance records."

Great little sports car, great value.

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, convertible hardtop, gas mileage"

Cons: "Performance & handling below some sports cars"

"I've owned a lot of sports cars and this is a fun little car with great gas mileage. It doesn't have the acceleration,handling, and fun factor as a Porsche Boxster but makes up for that with reliability over the boxster. The retractable hardtop can have issues with operation. Possible issues can be cables and connections. I do all my own maintenance and repair."

I love the SLK230 so much I am buying another one.

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

"I am the original owner and bought it as the first one made for the USA! I love it so much I am getting a new one in 2014! I have 68,400 miles on this one! I wouldnt even get another car except my company benefits qaualify me for a new car and it is the only one I really enjoy driving out several autos I own."

SLK is a terrific car

By on Thursday, October 09, 2008

"I've had this car since May 1998 with NO problems. Amazing vehicle."

Great ride and a head turner

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

Pros: "very dependable and fun to drive."

Cons: "premium fuel"

"Best car I've ever owned and I've owned close to a hundred cars in my lifetime. I would buy, repair and sell cars as I got tired of them. I have finally found a car worth keeping until the wheels fall off. I have owned it for 8 years and have not had a single problem with it and really love driving this car."

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"This is the 3rd convertible I have owned and first hard-top. Love the fact that I can be protected in rough weather. Quiet on freeway with top up. Love driving back roads with the top down. Great mileage - 25 mpg with the 320 V-6. I have the same engine in my 1998 ML320 and have 140K trouble-free miles. Yes, it is small but the handling is great. Wife loves the tip-tronic automatic. Would definitely buy another."

Speed and comfort

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I bought this 2002 SLK 32 in January 2009. It is very fast , handles great and nice body style for an older Benz. The hard top convertible gives maximum security and folds down quick and easy. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes to have fun when driving. Don't tell my wife I bought it because she might want to drive it. LOL"

Perfect small convertible

By on Friday, October 03, 2008

"The 4 cyl engine gets decent mileage -- I get 25 mpg, day in, day out, and over 33 mpg on long freeway trips. Yes, it's premium, but at least it isn't guzzling at 15 mpg. The roof is amazing and I really like the fact that you can't get in it with a butter knife like the other guys' ragtops. Ten years and just scheduled maintenance (did have an expensive warranty claim for the roof, but no issues getting it fixed). Started first time, every time. Styling -- hey, it's an MB convertible! Who doesn't like that? Plus, I was replacing a Supra at the time. The Supra cost $5k more. Tough choice -- MB convertible & $5K in my pocket or a Toyota Supra without the turbo (illegal in CA). As long as it keeps running, I'll keep driving it! It's always a fun car to drive..."

My lowest mileage 1999 SLK in the USA

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, weather-proof top."

Cons: "Trunk is small w/top down"

"I ordered this car from Germany to get the Special Red "Salsa" interior with a manual 5 speed. Silver with 2 custom pinstrips thin red to match red interior and red valve cover. Front end bra and heated seats. I became disabled and have not driven it in 8-9 years. Waxed and clean and in the garage covered with ONLY 17,000. original one owner miles. I am 6 ft 3 in and 230 lbs and it was the only car in its class that I had plenty of room (as all Mecedes are). I could not get into a Por. Boxter literally !! I would like to have the dealer go though the car and get a battery and it will be a pure classic for someone. I have spent hours looking for one with less mileage on the internet and it simply does not exist. Not a spot on this car inside or out. With the top up the SLK is rated to have a bigger trunk than a Bmw 3 series sedan !! With the top down (inside the trunk) the trunk can only handle a couple bags or you can stuff things under the top. My car will end up as a preserved SLK in a time capsule saved for a future example of 20th century autos. (unless you find me and buy it)"

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I've owned 2 SLKs...

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have owned two of these, a 1999 SLK 230 and a 2001 SLK 320. Both are essentially the same trim/body package. Beautiful cars to look at, very reliable, very fun to drive. However, VERY expensive to repair even small problems. Also, not very comfortable at all, even for a roadster. Feels like a go-cart on rough roads. The SLK 230 with the supercharged four is ok in power and good on gas, but a bit slow, especially compared to the 3.2 liter 6 the 320 comes with. The 320 is much quicker and feels more like a true roadster. Overall, a tremendous value. You can pick up one in excellent condition, with less than 50k miles for $15k or less. No better value for a roadster, especially a retractable hardtop! Great cars."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

hm

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"this is a wonderful fun vehicle to drive - however it has been in the shop numerous times and always for at least a minimum of 1 week each time. Thank goodness I have the extended warrranty so each visit only cost the deductible of $50 - the repairs have been for major items - replace roof seals, oil pan gasket leak, differential leak, blower motor for ac and heat, 2 new radios, etc etc - wonderful vehicle - just get the extended warranty!!"

Only 2 repairs needed in 14 years!

By on Thursday, May 07, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, very easy on fuel"

Cons: "a lilttle noisy inside on bumpy roads"

"The list of things that I love about this car is almost too long to type! So, I will go to my only complaint - it is a bit too noisy inside around town... it would have been nice if they had put a bit more sound dampening in the car. I have kept this car in the garage it's whole life, done every service recommended, and extra oil changes because I never reach the mileage for suggested changes and have never left oil in the car for more than 9 months. This car is almost too fast for its own good. The hardtop convertible style makes it easier and safer to drive almost anywhere in the city. I may never get rid of this car! Even the air conditioning will still freeze you out of the car! I had to have the interior re-painted because Mercedes really screwed up with painting the dash and the quality of the paint was terrible. (I am a perfectionist). I have had 13 Mercedes SL's and in all honesty, this is my favorite one!"

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."

Great little convertable!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Reason: Warranty Expired.

Pros: "Great looking, classy yet sporty, quick."

Cons: "Repair costs without a warranty, gas tank $$$"

"This is such a beautiful car and it drives so well. The obvious feature of the hardtop convertable is so nice to have. When its up, its a coupe. When its down, its a convertable. Its quick, handles great, and its an eye catcher. It looks great in red! Please, please buy a warranty. You'll drop a couple grand on one simple repair without one and they do break. Its the simple little features on the car that break and you can barely drive it them being broken. Yes, in 2011 there are still great warranties for these cars, you just need to know who to buy the car from. I sold mine because my warranty expired. I'm going to buy another one in the next year or two. I miss it."

One of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Cute, quiet and fast."

Cons: "Silly place for a cup holder."

"I have completely enjoyed my car. It is fun, cute, and responsive. Having owned rag tops and hard tops, I recommend a hard top every time. They are quieter and, in my experience, are less likely to leak over time. The only thing about the interior I don't like is the location of the cup holder. It is situated in the dash above the radio. If a lot of condensation (or a leaky coffee cup) drips onto the radio, it sometimes makes the radio act up until it dries out. The car is so much fun to drive that this minor irritation is not a big deal. I just put my cup in the pouch on the door."

GREAT Little machine

By on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"I bought my 2003 SLK230 (second one) in 2006 with 25K miles on it and just love to drive it. I'm 70 now and decided to get it as my last car. It is everything I need in a car; small, economical, sharp looker, and a cool convertible! But beware of two things; First, maintenance is expensive at the dealership (they are always upselling service) and Mercedes wiggled out of the extended warranty that came with the car because I bought it from a non-approved (non MB) dealer. Why that should degrade the car is beyond me????"