2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Perfect small convertible

By on Friday, October 03, 2008

"The 4 cyl engine gets decent mileage -- I get 25 mpg, day in, day out, and over 33 mpg on long freeway trips. Yes, it's premium, but at least it isn't guzzling at 15 mpg. The roof is amazing and I really like the fact that you can't get in it with a butter knife like the other guys' ragtops. Ten years and just scheduled maintenance (did have an expensive warranty claim for the roof, but no issues getting it fixed). Started first time, every time. Styling -- hey, it's an MB convertible! Who doesn't like that? Plus, I was replacing a Supra at the time. The Supra cost $5k more. Tough choice -- MB convertible & $5K in my pocket or a Toyota Supra without the turbo (illegal in CA). As long as it keeps running, I'll keep driving it! It's always a fun car to drive..."

My lowest mileage 1999 SLK in the USA

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, weather-proof top."

Cons: "Trunk is small w/top down"

"I ordered this car from Germany to get the Special Red "Salsa" interior with a manual 5 speed. Silver with 2 custom pinstrips thin red to match red interior and red valve cover. Front end bra and heated seats. I became disabled and have not driven it in 8-9 years. Waxed and clean and in the garage covered with ONLY 17,000. original one owner miles. I am 6 ft 3 in and 230 lbs and it was the only car in its class that I had plenty of room (as all Mecedes are). I could not get into a Por. Boxter literally !! I would like to have the dealer go though the car and get a battery and it will be a pure classic for someone. I have spent hours looking for one with less mileage on the internet and it simply does not exist. Not a spot on this car inside or out. With the top up the SLK is rated to have a bigger trunk than a Bmw 3 series sedan !! With the top down (inside the trunk) the trunk can only handle a couple bags or you can stuff things under the top. My car will end up as a preserved SLK in a time capsule saved for a future example of 20th century autos. (unless you find me and buy it)"

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I've owned 2 SLKs...

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have owned two of these, a 1999 SLK 230 and a 2001 SLK 320. Both are essentially the same trim/body package. Beautiful cars to look at, very reliable, very fun to drive. However, VERY expensive to repair even small problems. Also, not very comfortable at all, even for a roadster. Feels like a go-cart on rough roads. The SLK 230 with the supercharged four is ok in power and good on gas, but a bit slow, especially compared to the 3.2 liter 6 the 320 comes with. The 320 is much quicker and feels more like a true roadster. Overall, a tremendous value. You can pick up one in excellent condition, with less than 50k miles for $15k or less. No better value for a roadster, especially a retractable hardtop! Great cars."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."