• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Poor Start - good end

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I bought my '98 SLK230 used in 2002 when it had 27K on it...and am so glad I purchased the extended warranty, for had I not, I would have spent an addition $10K on the vehicle! Even tho I never drove the car hard, it was in the shop almost every month during my first 2 years of ownership -- most of the problems were electrical/microchip/sensor related issues. In the 3rd year of ownership, the turbo needed to be replaced ($6K). I had sworn that if I had one more problem, I was going to sell it and go back to owning Hondas! Well, excepting some axle bearing replacements, it's been 3 years since it's last repair and I've been able to enjoy its awesome fun, quiet, & smoothe drive. It's never in want for power. With the top down, it's a really pleasant cruise. The steering is not roadster-like...a little heavy, actually, with a tendency to be a bit overly sensitive. Overall, had I not had the repair problems (after years of owning trouble-free Hondas), I'd probably had given this car a solid 4+ stars. Had it been during the first 3 years, I'd have been quite gracious in giving more than 2 on the "Value/Reliability" scale. I have noticed that the first years of production on this car were questionable, and that with the release of the SLK320 (not the smaller 2-3-0), the ratings were much impoved. I'd stay away from the '98 to 2001 SLK230 models, but other than that, Mercedes does seem to live up to the reputation of a high performing vehicle that wants to be, and now seems to be, "trouble free". Additionally, although the recommended servicings for this vehicle are every 10K, I always schedule 3500 mile oil changes. The cost of regular servicings/ownership of this vehicle is comparable to most vehicles as the REGULAR schedule maintenance is less frequent and priced only slightly higher tan that of most vehicles in "lesser" classes...in this regard I'd say its value is quite good. Head-height/leg room is great but trunk space (even with the top up) is good for about 6 bags of groceries, a back pack, and your CD case."

GREAT CAR BUT BE SPECIFIC WHEN BUYING ONE!

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas and is very flashy"

Cons: "YOU WILL NEED TO REPAINT THE INTERIOR***"

"The car is a total blast and gets thumbs up everywhere I go. Mechanically the car is great. Disregard all the comments about the transmission going out. Most likely a sensor has went out or the fluid was never changed. The trans and engine are reliable as long as they are maintained. Beware**** you will have to re-paint the interior sometime in the life of the car. Almost all SLK'S are notorious for peeling paint. I just finished mine and it took me a good week to remove and re-paint the whole interior, but it was well worth it. I would also recommend using COLORBOND to repaint the interior. Man, this paint is like it came down from the heavens. No joke it is that good."

I love my SLK230!

By on Friday, June 24, 2011

Pros: "Love to drive this car!! Convertible is quick and easy, gas mileage is awesome!"

Cons: "cup holder is in weird spot and chipping on console (but still love it)"

"I bought my (preowned) 2002 SLK230 in 2002 with 4,000 miles and now have over 124,k on this car. I love it! I am not a technical person at all... I take the car in when the light tells me to. Once the warranty expired, it costs me about $900-1000 a year to maintain. Not a bad trade off considering the gas mileage, even for this older model is 30mpg on the freeway! The only challenge I have is the console paint is chipping in one area only (by emergency brake). I blamed it on my little dog until I read another review that has the same issue. Other than this, the car has been PERFECT!! It is reliable, I've driven it across the states 3 x with no worries at all. I'll miss this car when she's gone."

Sweet little cruiser

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"This is my second (2001 SLK320), my first one had to be traded in when I married (instant family...). Love the looks (hate the 2005+ editions). Love the 320 V6 - much stronger than my original 230 Kompressor, with not much difference in mileage. Repairs are expensive (had to have a rear quarterlight window regulator replaced - $800), but it hasn't needed much for an older car. Insurance is reasonable (personal injury and liability cheaper than our van, comprehensive more expensive.) I wonder if the people complaining of a harsh ride have the sport option - mine doesn't, and my only complaint is getting in and out (but I'm fat and 50+, so...) Drives fast and firm, lots of fun on an open road, and a reasonably agile street fighter in the city. More trunk room w/ the top down than an MX-5 does any time. Plenty of leg room, but there is no (0) room behind the seats, just a solid bulkhead. Mileage s reasonable (22-24 in town). If you can do a 2 seater, great car!"

SLK32 review

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I have a year 2002 SLK32 AMG. Other than minor problems with the roof retracting mechanism, the SLK32 has been an absolute hoot every passing mile. I drove another SLK32 from Kansas City to Baltimore and found that the seats do not induce back pain like some other makes have, and after 17 hours on the road I felt refreshed and ready for another drive. It feels rock solid and tracks effortlessly on jointed highways at 130mph, but beyond that it starts to lose a little steam. The brakes have good bite and feel reassuringly strong. The Bose audio system has resonant bass, and the output is loud enough to be able to enjoy music top-down at highway speeds. To date, I have not felt the need to replace the audio system components with anything aftermarket; it is superb as is. The charcoal interior is starting to flake a bit with wear, but the seats are holding up nicely after almost 70K miles on the odo. The inside is still quiet, fittings are tight and you won't hear an orchestra of crashing sounds driving over bumps, unlike some other convertibles I have driven. Hopefully the car will hold up for many years. It still looks stunning; the styling is classic. Pros: Absolute hoot from 0-60, with enough power leftover to pass rock-flinging rigs in a hurry. Dashing good looks. Fair fuel economy considering the 349hp you get. I generally avg 19mpg if I am judicious. Expect 14mpg or less if you let the supercharged 3.2 take over your senses. Cons: The recirculating ball steering isn't the best choice for sporting intentions, but for everyday use and highway cruising the steering is just fine. The maintenance is quite costly at the dealership, so you have to know what you're getting into. Overall: Such a fine, compact package of style, comfort and available power, I will own this one until it runs into the ground."