1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 158 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Relaxed commuter or boy racer

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Handling and a creation."

Cons: "CD player skips."

"An all round practical daily car which transforms to a capable sports car with a push of an accelerator"

Great car!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"I've had this car for over 12 years and have loved it. No problems with anything mechanical and drives great."

Sportcar

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "see Complete review"

"Sportcar qualities. Hardtop convertable. Excelent handling, new tires. Paint in top condition. cup holder, Cassete holder"

Superb condition. Beautiful, bright red.Great fun

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Great condition. High value."

Cons: "High mileage, but no problems."

"I have owned this car for 2 years and driven it only on sunny days for 2,000 miles. MB service checked it out when purchased and found no problems. 2 seat roadster with motorized conv. top into trunk. 6 cd's located in trunk. Good tires. Always garaged and covered. No mechanical problems. High mileage prior to my purchase. Excellent condition. Asking $6,800."

Great Sports Car for the Money!!!

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Fun, timeless look, Value for money."

"I absolute love these cars! I've owned 3 (98,99 and now a 2001 230 Kompressor) and will continue to buy them as long as I am living and Mercedes continues to make SLK's. All three SLK 230's I've owned had been extremely reliable! If you don't believe it, Google the top 100 reliable cars of the last decade, and the SLK will be number 25 on the list. One thing to keep in mind is that the car is relatively small, so there is not much to go wrong. Also there aren't many unnecessary electronic gizmos that typically go wrong when they get old. Now, I am not saying that these cars never have problems, but never has this car, or my previous SLK's left me stranded. I've only had the Mass Air Flow Sensor go out, and that's typical when these cars get higher mileage on them. Bottom line is take care of the car, and it will take care of you. Next the Performance is great for a 4 cylinder. Its supercharged (Kompressor) so the pick is good. Don't expect to take on V8 mustangs, nissan 350/370Z and Infiniti G's and so forth. I not one that is a show off, but This car gets a lot of attention and compliments from people even though its over 10 years old. It's funny, I've owned BMW's Volvo's and never got strangers to approach me and ask me questions like they do with the SLK. If your need a lot of space don't buy this car as a daily driver. The truck is big for it's size, but the car is still small. If you are looking for a hardcore sports car then look elsewhere. This car handles and drives great, but don't expect to have the driving dynamics of a Porsche or Ferrari. Over all, its a terrific car to own. If you buy one, make sure it was loved and taken care of."

One of the best

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very fast, great handeling"

Cons: "bad interior paint quality"

"I have had this car since 2001, it has only needed a repair one time other than tires and oil changes. The seats are comfortable, is runs like a scalded dog, is easy on fuel, steers with great precision, stops on a dime. My only disappointment is that the dash is painted as are the interior door handles. That paint chips easily and no touch-up paint is available. Mine looks and drives just as it did when I bought it. It has been one of the best cars that I have ever owned.... and I have owned some fine autos. (I have had 14 other Mercedes along with other luxury autos)."

Overpriced when new.

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Cute reliable head turning car."

Cons: "Does not hold value."

"Purchased new in 2000. After thirteen years and 50000 miles, only scheduled maintenance has been required."

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

Great fun dependable car, handles road great

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "Great handling on road and great convertable,"

Cons: "Some road noise and somewhat difficult to get out"

"We have owned the car for almost two years now without any major problems. It is somewhat difficult for older people to get out of but makes you feel young again behind the wheel."

My lowest mileage 1999 SLK in the USA

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, weather-proof top."

Cons: "Trunk is small w/top down"

"I ordered this car from Germany to get the Special Red "Salsa" interior with a manual 5 speed. Silver with 2 custom pinstrips thin red to match red interior and red valve cover. Front end bra and heated seats. I became disabled and have not driven it in 8-9 years. Waxed and clean and in the garage covered with ONLY 17,000. original one owner miles. I am 6 ft 3 in and 230 lbs and it was the only car in its class that I had plenty of room (as all Mecedes are). I could not get into a Por. Boxter literally !! I would like to have the dealer go though the car and get a battery and it will be a pure classic for someone. I have spent hours looking for one with less mileage on the internet and it simply does not exist. Not a spot on this car inside or out. With the top up the SLK is rated to have a bigger trunk than a Bmw 3 series sedan !! With the top down (inside the trunk) the trunk can only handle a couple bags or you can stuff things under the top. My car will end up as a preserved SLK in a time capsule saved for a future example of 20th century autos. (unless you find me and buy it)"

See if you qualify for