1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

hm

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"this is a wonderful fun vehicle to drive - however it has been in the shop numerous times and always for at least a minimum of 1 week each time. Thank goodness I have the extended warrranty so each visit only cost the deductible of $50 - the repairs have been for major items - replace roof seals, oil pan gasket leak, differential leak, blower motor for ac and heat, 2 new radios, etc etc - wonderful vehicle - just get the extended warranty!!"

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."

Great little convertable!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Reason: Warranty Expired.

Pros: "Great looking, classy yet sporty, quick."

Cons: "Repair costs without a warranty, gas tank $$$"

"This is such a beautiful car and it drives so well. The obvious feature of the hardtop convertable is so nice to have. When its up, its a coupe. When its down, its a convertable. Its quick, handles great, and its an eye catcher. It looks great in red! Please, please buy a warranty. You'll drop a couple grand on one simple repair without one and they do break. Its the simple little features on the car that break and you can barely drive it them being broken. Yes, in 2011 there are still great warranties for these cars, you just need to know who to buy the car from. I sold mine because my warranty expired. I'm going to buy another one in the next year or two. I miss it."

One of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Cute, quiet and fast."

Cons: "Silly place for a cup holder."

"I have completely enjoyed my car. It is fun, cute, and responsive. Having owned rag tops and hard tops, I recommend a hard top every time. They are quieter and, in my experience, are less likely to leak over time. The only thing about the interior I don't like is the location of the cup holder. It is situated in the dash above the radio. If a lot of condensation (or a leaky coffee cup) drips onto the radio, it sometimes makes the radio act up until it dries out. The car is so much fun to drive that this minor irritation is not a big deal. I just put my cup in the pouch on the door."