• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $129,649 - $135,672.

Invoice N/A

10/7.2

Based on 21 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

A Frustrating Vehicle

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, sporty and great performance"

Cons: "Rattles and compression thumping"

"The car is attractive, sporty and performs great. However, it has more rattles that a baby's nursery and has a compression thump when traveling between 45 and 53 mph. It is frustrating to pay in excess of $100,000 for a car and have to put up with these things. And the only option put forth by the dealer is for me to come in and spend time with the shop people to point out the problems - not how I want to spend a day and it shouldn't be necessary. Between the rattles and the thumping I will likely dump the car and quit being a Mercedes fan. I have owned quite a few Mercedes over the years (Currently own an S, ML, CLK and this one.) This will likely be my last Mercedes."

8th SL ... far and away the best .... true GT

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "looks, ride, quality, room & technology"

Cons: "must be stopped to manually enter address on GPS"

"This time I compared to a Maserati and Porsche. This is my 6th SL ... I have also had 5 Jag convertibles and a BMW 650. The Porsche had a weak engine sound, had an uncomfortable seat, no room for my golf clubs .... and while new for 2013 ... still looked like the aged porsche. The Masserati was just plain old. Sexy in appearance and sound, but reminded me of the first BMW 645. They discount these cars so the Maserati, Porsche & Mercedes were all within $5k. The Mercedes has a trunk that hold my golf back with the top down ... the distronics really works. The car is a low 4 second car to 60, but in florida, there are no winding mountain roads, so I did not rated any of the cars on cornering. The interior is great and the high tech the most intuitive of the bunch. My car has all the options including the spoiler on the trunk. What a car."

Superb road car, exudes quality and class

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "Great fun to drive,"

Cons: "Only room for two!"

"The SL has always been a Mercedes icon. Owned for 3 1/2 years, European delivery, 100 on autobahn, rock steady, corners absolutely level, room for 2 for three weeks on road, assembly perfect, upholstery and fittings first-rate, fast (0-60 5.4 seconds) and braking top-notch. Quiet with top down, even at highway speed. No shakes, squeaks, rattles after 3 1/2 years. Mechanics and electronics totally reliable. Feels like carved from granite, but agile. Reasonable gas mileage (18 city, 27 highway)"

A very nice transportation system

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "High-performance Mustang for mature driver!"

Cons: "Car requires premium gas but uses it to advantage."

"In the early 70s I owned a high-performance Mustang. Until just recently, I couldn't get a car that tickled my fancy like it did. Power to weight ratio and handling went out the window. After experiencing the SLK and then the SL 550 I can report that my humor has been restored. While not a 7 Liter car, this Mercedes is absolutely wonderful. Even my sports car driving (Miata) girlfriend is impressed, commenting favorably on the handling of the SL. One of the main benefits is improved interior room over what I experienced in the SLK. A properly designed roadster in my opinion. You will be inspected by the local Highway Patrol for your speed settings. Fortunately if you drive exactly the speed limit they don't seem to bother you. I am thankful for the precise speed gauging in the SL."

supercar

By on Friday, June 19, 2009

"I would recommened this car to someone with a few hundred grand to spare. All you really get is speed...a lot of speed. The twin turbo produces an incredible amount of torque through the entire band. It's very tempting to punch it all the time. Be prepared to pay the price; it attracts the police. The SL65 is much better than the Viper or any other American supercar."