2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 22 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Best of their brand

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Overall refinement, power and handling"

Cons: "Quirky design, storage and driver amenities"

"Having just traded in my 2011, his is my 2nd consecutive MB SL550. The 2014 is a vastly improved car in many, may ways- it drives better, handles better, feels more solid and has more power. Candidly, the 2014 feels like a far superior vehicle and makes it almost impossible to believe that I had been driving the same car for 3 years. There are a few knocks however. First, the styling takes some getting used to. The nose of the car maintains a decidedly MB look however the rear and rest of the car feel somehow disconnected and somewhat pedestrian. The rear of the car could be almost any luxury brand based on looks alone. Next, the interior of my car has a pretty bad odor to it. From my past experiences, I realize that MB doesn't not have the typical "new car" smell but this vehicle almost smells like a drunk mechanic. I've had the car for less than a week and have an air freshener in the car which is a tragedy given the six figure price of the car. I have reached out to the dealership and am waiting for their reply. Also, the interior redesign, which is far superior to the 2011 also comes with sacrifices. Fit and finish are amazing. The ridiculous cup holders from the old model have been addressed. The seats are on a whole new level comfort-wise. However, the storage spaces are terrible. The fantastic door compartments of the 2011 are gone. Beyond the glove box, the dash has no storage. And, the center console, which was redesigned to make room for cup holders, offers a storage box that opens at the elbow, making it nearly impractical to use as a driver. It makes the day to day driving experience a little frustrating. Finally, the audio system is far superior to that of the 2011, however, the centering of the surround is WAY forward in the car. It sounds like someone is singing from under the hood directly in your face. This hinders the true magic of the new system, which includes the best bass EVER. The SL line of MB is without question their pinnacle of their brand. Driving the 2014 feels like driving a completely new type of car, which isn't a bad thing at all even if it is a quantum leap over the same car. Most of the shortcomings of the car, including the exterior design, are ones that will improve over time, however, the smell and creature comforts you expect in a car of this price are completely lacking and, at times, make me wonder if I have made a mistake in committing to a second SL."

A Frustrating Vehicle

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, sporty and great performance"

Cons: "Rattles and compression thumping"

"The car is attractive, sporty and performs great. However, it has more rattles that a baby's nursery and has a compression thump when traveling between 45 and 53 mph. It is frustrating to pay in excess of $100,000 for a car and have to put up with these things. And the only option put forth by the dealer is for me to come in and spend time with the shop people to point out the problems - not how I want to spend a day and it shouldn't be necessary. Between the rattles and the thumping I will likely dump the car and quit being a Mercedes fan. I have owned quite a few Mercedes over the years (Currently own an S, ML, CLK and this one.) This will likely be my last Mercedes."

A 2013 SL550-Never again

By on Friday, November 13, 2015

I don't own this car

Pros: "Sexy looking car"

Cons: "Poorly designed functionally, poorly engineered"

"When we traded my wife's '08 SL550 we were talked into a four year lease on a new one instead of buying it as we intended. Financially it was an excellent deal. However, we are now stuck with driving this thing another 1 1/2 years before we can turn it in! Compared to the '08 model, this one is a disaster- the most poorly designed (apart from its sexy exterior appearance) and engineered Merc I have had in over 20 years of owning/driving them. Air flow over the bonnet invites rocks to hit the weakest part of the windscreen. Rims bend out of shape after hitting normal potholes- an expensive repair, including the matching tyres! Fuel economy is worse, despite lesser overall performance. I could go on and on, but you get the gist of my points. So, unless you're a guy looking to pick up chicks or a cougar looking for toy boys, find an alternative vehicle to drive and enjoy."

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Izollo

By on Sunday, November 28, 2010

"I will never buy another Mercedes Benz auto. While the engine and transmittions are well made, I am shocked at how poorly the other elemens of the care are constructed. Additionally, the cost of replacement parts is unbelievely expensive. For example, distributor cap and rotor $365 and yes, you have two of them. EZL, $2800. AC cooler- $3800 Front bumper cover (painted) $2500. Keeping this car up is one of the worlds biggest rip-offs. Stay away from any Mercedes auto. My purchase of one was the greatest finanical move of my life. My SL500 is a 1994 model so I can not begin to think how much more expensive it would be to repair a newer model."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals