2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 21 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Forget it in the winter

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "A beast-handling and acceleration"

Cons: "Not for winter, hard to get into"

"Even with Pirelli summer tires I could get my 2003 SL55 up the slight incline into my garage with a running start especially if I turned off the ESP when there was some snow and ice in the driveway. With the replacement 13 SL550 and Bridgestone run flats summer tires, be prepared with two strong pushers and a bunch of cinders to get it back in the garage if you are dumb enough to try driving it in the winter. Also without the easy entry feature that my old SL55 had, its not too easy for the driver to get into when the top is on. Otherwise it is superior in every way to my 2003 SL55 which I owned since fall of 2003. All the electronics are up to date and look like they will be trouble free. The car is a beast as far as handling and acceleration just like my 03 SL55 but also gets 18 mpg in city driving, not 12mpg. Be sure to get the bigger AMG wheels which also come with bigger brakes. Wish it had a heated steering wheel option, but on the other hand its undrivable in the winter. All in all a great car, but not if you live in snowy climes and don't have a winter car. It will have to be stored for the winter."

A very nice transportation system

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "High-performance Mustang for mature driver!"

Cons: "Car requires premium gas but uses it to advantage."

"In the early 70s I owned a high-performance Mustang. Until just recently, I couldn't get a car that tickled my fancy like it did. Power to weight ratio and handling went out the window. After experiencing the SLK and then the SL 550 I can report that my humor has been restored. While not a 7 Liter car, this Mercedes is absolutely wonderful. Even my sports car driving (Miata) girlfriend is impressed, commenting favorably on the handling of the SL. One of the main benefits is improved interior room over what I experienced in the SLK. A properly designed roadster in my opinion. You will be inspected by the local Highway Patrol for your speed settings. Fortunately if you drive exactly the speed limit they don't seem to bother you. I am thankful for the precise speed gauging in the SL."

Best of their brand

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Overall refinement, power and handling"

Cons: "Quirky design, storage and driver amenities"

"Having just traded in my 2011, his is my 2nd consecutive MB SL550. The 2014 is a vastly improved car in many, may ways- it drives better, handles better, feels more solid and has more power. Candidly, the 2014 feels like a far superior vehicle and makes it almost impossible to believe that I had been driving the same car for 3 years. There are a few knocks however. First, the styling takes some getting used to. The nose of the car maintains a decidedly MB look however the rear and rest of the car feel somehow disconnected and somewhat pedestrian. The rear of the car could be almost any luxury brand based on looks alone. Next, the interior of my car has a pretty bad odor to it. From my past experiences, I realize that MB doesn't not have the typical "new car" smell but this vehicle almost smells like a drunk mechanic. I've had the car for less than a week and have an air freshener in the car which is a tragedy given the six figure price of the car. I have reached out to the dealership and am waiting for their reply. Also, the interior redesign, which is far superior to the 2011 also comes with sacrifices. Fit and finish are amazing. The ridiculous cup holders from the old model have been addressed. The seats are on a whole new level comfort-wise. However, the storage spaces are terrible. The fantastic door compartments of the 2011 are gone. Beyond the glove box, the dash has no storage. And, the center console, which was redesigned to make room for cup holders, offers a storage box that opens at the elbow, making it nearly impractical to use as a driver. It makes the day to day driving experience a little frustrating. Finally, the audio system is far superior to that of the 2011, however, the centering of the surround is WAY forward in the car. It sounds like someone is singing from under the hood directly in your face. This hinders the true magic of the new system, which includes the best bass EVER. The SL line of MB is without question their pinnacle of their brand. Driving the 2014 feels like driving a completely new type of car, which isn't a bad thing at all even if it is a quantum leap over the same car. Most of the shortcomings of the car, including the exterior design, are ones that will improve over time, however, the smell and creature comforts you expect in a car of this price are completely lacking and, at times, make me wonder if I have made a mistake in committing to a second SL."

Exceeded all my expectations

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "Incredibly comfortable, powerful & solid"

Cons: "Its cost - even though it is worth it."

"The 2013 SL550 is even better than I expected, and I've been looking forward to purchasing this car for many years... and finally did it. It is a gentle beast. While incredibly powerful, it is also very sensitive. It is very touchy-feely, I feel like the car is almost alive. The electronics add to the fun. I do not think I will ever own a better, more fun to drive car. I checked out the Porsche 911, but it was too tight for me. I want to drive the most comfortable hard top convertible on the road and the SL550 is it. All my ratings are "10" except for value. That should really be "10" too, but I still can't believe it cost so much even though it IS worth it!!"

A Frustrating Vehicle

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, sporty and great performance"

Cons: "Rattles and compression thumping"

"The car is attractive, sporty and performs great. However, it has more rattles that a baby's nursery and has a compression thump when traveling between 45 and 53 mph. It is frustrating to pay in excess of $100,000 for a car and have to put up with these things. And the only option put forth by the dealer is for me to come in and spend time with the shop people to point out the problems - not how I want to spend a day and it shouldn't be necessary. Between the rattles and the thumping I will likely dump the car and quit being a Mercedes fan. I have owned quite a few Mercedes over the years (Currently own an S, ML, CLK and this one.) This will likely be my last Mercedes."

8th SL ... far and away the best .... true GT

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "looks, ride, quality, room & technology"

Cons: "must be stopped to manually enter address on GPS"

"This time I compared to a Maserati and Porsche. This is my 6th SL ... I have also had 5 Jag convertibles and a BMW 650. The Porsche had a weak engine sound, had an uncomfortable seat, no room for my golf clubs .... and while new for 2013 ... still looked like the aged porsche. The Masserati was just plain old. Sexy in appearance and sound, but reminded me of the first BMW 645. They discount these cars so the Maserati, Porsche & Mercedes were all within $5k. The Mercedes has a trunk that hold my golf back with the top down ... the distronics really works. The car is a low 4 second car to 60, but in florida, there are no winding mountain roads, so I did not rated any of the cars on cornering. The interior is great and the high tech the most intuitive of the bunch. My car has all the options including the spoiler on the trunk. What a car."

One of its kind!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Easy to drive with less distraction"

Cons: "The length of he hood seems a bit longer"

"This auto has really surpassed it followers."

Expensive, but seem to get what you pay for.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Quality, dependibility"

Cons: "Price"

"Fun to drive, very solid and dependable, but you must pay a lot for this."

Superb road car, exudes quality and class

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "Great fun to drive,"

Cons: "Only room for two!"

"The SL has always been a Mercedes icon. Owned for 3 1/2 years, European delivery, 100 on autobahn, rock steady, corners absolutely level, room for 2 for three weeks on road, assembly perfect, upholstery and fittings first-rate, fast (0-60 5.4 seconds) and braking top-notch. Quiet with top down, even at highway speed. No shakes, squeaks, rattles after 3 1/2 years. Mechanics and electronics totally reliable. Feels like carved from granite, but agile. Reasonable gas mileage (18 city, 27 highway)"

By on Friday, March 25, 2011

After 12,000 miles

By on Saturday, February 26, 2011

"The 2009 SL ended my Corvette addiction."

Sl550

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"I have never owned a car that I never want to get out of. The phone is so easy to use, hands free. A massage while driving is remarkable. I never tire of the sl550."

Izollo

By on Sunday, November 28, 2010

"I will never buy another Mercedes Benz auto. While the engine and transmittions are well made, I am shocked at how poorly the other elemens of the care are constructed. Additionally, the cost of replacement parts is unbelievely expensive. For example, distributor cap and rotor $365 and yes, you have two of them. EZL, $2800. AC cooler- $3800 Front bumper cover (painted) $2500. Keeping this car up is one of the worlds biggest rip-offs. Stay away from any Mercedes auto. My purchase of one was the greatest finanical move of my life. My SL500 is a 1994 model so I can not begin to think how much more expensive it would be to repair a newer model."

Pretty close to nirvana

By on Saturday, September 04, 2010

"The warranty on my 2006 M5 was about to expire which put in the market for a new car. There was no way I was going to keep the M5 without a warranty. The repairs thus far had been way too much if I had to pay them out of pocket. I stopped my the Mercedes dealer and they had a silver arrow edition SL550 that just looked gorgeous! Sporty, clean, sharp angles, silver with red interior and AMG wheels. I always thought of the SL has being a car for the more mature gentlemen however, I am sold on it and absolutely love it."

AWESOME

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"Would NOT a change a thing. Excellent performance sports car. Drives like the wind. Is only happy at 70 plus so ensure you have your radar on. Interior to exterior every detail is covered. LOVE IT!! Also holds its value better than anything even the 911."

Only God Should Own this car

By on Saturday, January 23, 2010

"Excellent quality, workmanship, performance, sound system and safety. A thrill to drive top up or down. Only God should be allowed to drive this car."

vary nice MB

By on Monday, January 18, 2010

"great looking. good exhilarates. nice finish interor and exteror. the tire air pressure indecator is a bit to sensitive. needs a little more speed. nice on corners."

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

supercar

By on Friday, June 19, 2009

"I would recommened this car to someone with a few hundred grand to spare. All you really get is speed...a lot of speed. The twin turbo produces an incredible amount of torque through the entire band. It's very tempting to punch it all the time. Be prepared to pay the price; it attracts the police. The SL65 is much better than the Viper or any other American supercar."

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lot of Car

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I founf the 2009 SL550 to be the greatest touring car I have ever own. The only problem is that it should br priced around $60-$70K"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals