2012 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 147 Ratings for the 2003 - 2012 models.

The Best So Far

By on Saturday, November 28, 2009

"I have owned lots of cars in my life: big cars like a BMW 740i and a Mercedes CL500 and little cars like a Chrysler Crossfire convertible and Mercdes 320SLK. This is the 2nd SL I have owned, and I will probably own one forever. For me there is no better blend of style, performance, top down fun, gadgetry and VALUE. It seems strange to use the the word "value" and SL class Mercedes in the same sentence, but it's true, and here's the secret: Buy Preowned. Let someone else take the 50% or more hit in the first two or three years. You already know that these cars are usually the best maintened of any because of both the absurd original price and the fussiness of the owners. They are always brought to a dealer for servicing (usually via free pickup and delivery), and often have very low mileage. They are often the 2nd or third car the owner drives; rarely the number one daily ride. Of course it could be. The first time around I bought a gorgeous 2005 SL500 with about 8000 miles on it for about 55% of its original list. The warranty was expiring so I just traded it in on a mint 2007 SL550 with an original list of over $100,000. I'm smarter now and the economy isn't that great so this time I paid considerably less than half and of the 2007 MSRP. Oh yeah, I also got four and a half years more of complete "new car" warranty. How, you ask? Well, Mercedes gives four years to start, the CPO deal gives you an extra year. Then I bought an addiional two year bumper to bumper warranty from Mercedes itself for $4000 - well worth it if you want to keep the car and you ever have a repair. These are great cars, but they are super complicated and stuff does break! So altogether then the car is warrantied by Mercedes for seven year or 100,000 miles. This car was put in service in March of 2007. It has 20,000 miles on it so there are four and half years and 80,000 miles to go. I think I'm good to go for a while. So now think about it. Where can you buy a $100,000+ car that has to be one of the sharpest on the planet for in the mid 40s and have it warrantied for almost five more years? Think about it before you buy that $45,000 Mustang or Z or even the 350SLK."

A true 'hardtop convertible" that delivers.

By on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pros: "Great ride. Lives well in the city."

Cons: "Once your warranty is over sell it or extend it."

"I own the Designo Launch edition. The unique paint color, the hardtop convertible, and the ageless styling makes this car one of the best of the best. There are faster cars (Ferrarri) or better interiors (Lambo) but dollar for dollar this is a great car that combines a reasonable size trunk, eye stopping design, and a killer stereo. It's a car for someone that needs a 'practical' car that doubles as a sports car. I love this car because I can drive in the city and cruise on the highway. The trunk is large enough for golf clubs, the seats are comfortable for long trips, and the front hood design allows for vision for painless parking. Don't buy it new. Let someone else take the hit on the first year or two. The owners are fussy and take care of these cars. True is trust funders buy it, drive it for a year, and move on to the next version."

Fantastic Value - 1/3 $ for low mile like new car.

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, Acceleration, Handling and High Style"

Cons: "Nav system but easily resolved with a phone or GPS"

"This is the car Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson owns and loves. I highly recommend this car with the same caveat the salesman made when he sold it - Make sure you get the warranty. I've had several cost free repairs on this CPO car since I purchased it with extended factory warranty at 35,000 mi. Two years later we are now at 50,000 and still have a year left on the warranty. My repairs - the roof operating mechanism and motor mounts (which are surprisingly sophisticated). The things that make this car so fun to own and drive are the same ones that make it less reliable than say a vanilla Toyota Corolla. The Mercedes dealerships always treat you like royalty so sometimes I look for things to have checked out just to visit. My biggest surprise has been the gas mileage. I get 24 MPG on long trips with the cruise set at ten over the limit. My Honda Insight Hybrid gets 32 on trips and isn't half as fun, safe or relaxing to drive. The biggest problem I have with this car is that I can't stop driving it. I'm putting more miles on it than I planned. Meanwhile the 24-32 MPG Honda sits collecting dust in the driveway."

maintence problems

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"while this car looks great its a maintence problem, always in the shop would not buy again. this is the 2nd sl the first was taken back as a lemon and the 2nd is a probem two !"

Looks likes it's flying while sitting still

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pros: "Retractable roof"

Cons: "Nav system"

"I have owned this car for 4 years now. I am the 2nd owner. I absolutely love it. It is quick, handles like a dream, dependable and has a timeless look of quality and class. It has maintained it's value like I cannot even believe. I have owned everything from a corvette to an Audi and this car is by far my most favorite. Being a female I have turned a lot of heads driving this car... :) It gets great gas mileage Hwy:25 and City:17 mpg. The only thing I am not fond of is the navigation system. I would rather use a GPS. I use my IPhone now. Another issue I have had with this car is the AC having a musty smell. The dealership cannot seem to fix it. :( Overall I am the PROUD owner of a chromed out Silver 2006 SL500 AMG Mercedes."

The best SL ever!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"This is my third SL and its the best ever. Dont buy new unless you can take a big hit on value. Buy a one owner with low milage and you will love the car even more when you see the value it holds after five or more years. This car is the most exciting car to drive in total luxury and speed to kill for."

Fun . . . but really unreliable

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"The car does not disappoint with respect to syling, amenities, and performance although it is a little heavy on its feet and definitely not a true sports car. Retractable roof is a great feature and with the pano option provides a nice, bright, and airy cockpit in the winter. Having said all this I would never recommend this car due to its abysmal reliability. I purchased my car new a year and a half ago and have put less than 10k miles on it. It has left me stranded three times. The first two incidents involved complete transmission failure leaving me with a dead car in city traffic. The third and most frightening incident involved a total failure of the brake system leaving me with only a rudimentary backup brake system and a VERY impressive display of warning lights and alarms. I bought this car with the assumption that Daimler had cleaned up its well-known quality problems of recent years but this obviously must not be the case. Never again."

3rd SL and the best

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"I've owned 3 SLs in 5 years. The SL550 is by far the best. And the best car I ever have driven. Faults? yes. Mainly the insane standard service prices, and resale values which are among the worst in the industry."

Plan on replacing major parts

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great to drive and love the styling."

Cons: "way too high expense to repair and something always breaks down."

"Love this car, fun to drive and gets noticed by most. Very high maintinance with expensive parts. Every year something breaks and cost no less than $1500 for parts and service. Brakes = 1000 Power stearing pump= 2500 Air conditioner evaporator $1500 Just for a few reparis over the psst 2 years. I have yet to have a repair bill < 1000 and at least once a year. This is a summer car only!!"

A Great Compromise

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"I traded my 2002 CL500 for a 2006 SL500 last month. My CL was one of the best cars that I have ever owned, fast, quiet, smooth, luxerious, etc. However, no one ever liked sitting in the rear seats, even to go less than five miles. Just too hard to get in and out. So, since no one liked the rear seat, we did not use it, and with the SL, I dont have to hear about any "too hard to use", complaints from my better half. In comparison, the SL500 is a great compromise, it has many of the same features of the CL, it's great looking, faster, ( appears faster), luxarious, and is an easy comfortable - 16 total seconds to get up or down. The negatives would be, it rides rougher, ( AMG Wheels,and wider tires on the SL), is smaller inside, ( I am 6'3" tall), and the shorter wheelbase makes the road stripes louder. However, I love the convertable top, like rolling down a window, and the car looks great with the top up or down. They both are great cars. I drove Porsche's for several weekends as a comparison, and while I truely liked them, they were rough, loud, not near as luxarious inside, and my wife would not drive a Porsche. She likes driving the SL500 when I am not in it."

Practical yet high performance

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "Luxury, elegant appearance and high performance"

Cons: "Expensive"

"I had to decide between Porsche 911 or Mercedes SL. In contrast to Porsche, this is a heavy car. Ultimately, however, I opted for Mercedes SL instead because, unlike Porsche 911, its luxury interior and hardtop makes this car a practical and very comfortable luxury daily automobile. Yet, it is also a high performance sport car. Plus, stylistically it is ageless; a true head turner. Excellent for cruising down PCH with the top down. My car is very low mileage and it is in flawless condition. I have not had any mechanical issue. That said, maintenance and repair can be very expensive. Therefore, either buy very low mileage and keep annual driving to 10 K or less for the first 40 - 50 K; alternately if you are buying a used high mileage SLin that case concomitantly buy warranty."

Luxurious roadster with power, handling

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "power, handling, top down driving, luxurious"

"With the convenient hard top convertible neatly stowed in the truck with ample storage remaining, this luxurious roadster is the perfect vehicle for a trip done the California coast or the winding mountain roads of the Sierra Nevadas. Quiet and comfortable until you suddenly accerate and the 493 HP AMG tuned engine generates a throaty roar and sets you back in the heated and massaging front seat. Owning the car for over six years, I have no complaints except that I don't have enough time to drive it. While I am sure the new models are equally nice, I prefer the style of front end of the 2003-2008 models with the round headlights. If your thinking of a used SL,choose the AMG version. The power is quite amazing. Truly a muscle car but with all the amenities and conveniences Mercedes is famous for."

too many problems

By on Thursday, October 23, 2008

"There's a serious flaw with the ABC system. Had to take it back to the dealer several times before the dealer could figure out the problem."

Excellent hobby car

By on Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pros: "Superb ride, superb engine"

Cons: "Costly to maintain"

Great styling

"Fun car to drive, especially in summer with the top down. Maintenance is costly. Mileage is not great, but reasonable for a 4200 lb car with 490 hp. Bought used for about 1/4 the original sticker."

Great styling

Excellent design and drive

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "great classic design, fun to drive, massaging seat"

"I purchased this '07 CPO with only 23000 miles and it is a sweet ride and a beautiful design. With the heavy weight this car does not handle like a small car. I also get good mileage on the hwy and get positive stares and very favorable comments regarding the design of the car. It has every feature imaginable and I also purchased a 5-yr extended warranty for $5K through the dealer."

Coolest vehicle I ever owned and love it !!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Fast Cool Looking and a looker"

Cons: "Not as roomy as my E class but it does its job"

Top down and ready to drive !!!!!

"This vehicle demands attention when it is around. I love the convertible top, the monster motor, and fresh white interior. It has every option immaginable and I use all of them. Fun and comfortable car in the city or short trips."

Top down and ready to drive !!!!!

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"This car is a wonderful driving machine. If I could make any changes I would raise the car about 10" and stretch it approx 18" to accomadate a taller person.Also the steering wheel does not raise up high enough.This is our 7th SL ."

Fun car but hugely expensive to maintain

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "Good looking car and fun to drive"

Cons: "Extremely expensive to maintain. Many problems."

"Great looking car and fun to drive, particularly in the summer with the roof down. However, in four years of ownership (from 30k miles to 75k miles) I've had around $15k in repairs. A set of shock absorbers will set you back $7.5k - although fortunately I only had to get the rear ones done for a mere $4k. Various problems with the ABC system have cost me around $6k. Three problems with the electical/computer system another $3k. Various other issues bring the total up to $15k. I will not be buying another Mercedes and do not recommend this car unless you have money to throw away."

SL-600 W/RENN-TECH PREFORMANCE PACKAGE, 635HP,

By on Friday, April 4, 2014

"low miles, 635 HP, 700 FT LBS toque, only driven on sunny days, garage kept. excellent condition. retractable top. built in front and rear radar detection system"

Good Choice (oif you can afford)

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"With all options and such vehicle came out to a little over 150K, which is extreme given what it is, but well worth it. I love the car, drives amazing, great power, and... its a huge head turn-er, which is nice but quite annoying at times."

really sharp fun!

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

"great all around car really fast comfitable great looking gas hog!"

Poor electronics and cosmetics

By on Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Almost Every thing besides the drive train had been replaced. Sensores, covers , cupholders, buttons , controls, trunk hinges, seat controls, windows controls, radio A/C control, you name it malfunctioned or stoped working one way or another but the engine and the rest of the drive train nothing, never any problems with them, it has been four years since we purchased this vehicle for over $98,000.00 I guess we expectedit to last a little bit better"

Fun car you can be proud to drive.

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"I love the car and don't rally mind putting in premium gas but whenever you need a repair, it cost you $1000 on up to $6,000. The dealers charge a fortune and cannot be trusted. I love driving this car and it's very powerful. If I drive for more than an hour or so, my low back starts hurting from the position having your legs extended out in front of you. I have a friend who owned the same car and had the same problem. Other than that, I'm proud of it and I get many comments from people on the street. It's a hot looking car and proud to drive it."

Super Car

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"If you search the USA you can always find a good buy on the W230 the 2003-2007 SL500. The prices run seasonally so you can always save money buying in the Fall and Winter."

Very difficult to imagine ever giving it up.

By on Friday, June 5, 2015

Pros: "The amazing roof. Perfect coupe, perfect roadster."

Cons: "Have to leave it at home when I need four seats."

"This car leaves nothing to be desired in comfort, driving fun or convenience. It checks every box, well -- with the sole exception of seating beyond two. But who wants to drive a car with more than two perfect seats on those trips when one can avoid it. With the Pano roof, it is light and bright inside even when the roof is up. Isolation and rigidity are as good as with a fixed roof Mercedes sedan. You can take it through a car wash. But when the roof comes down, everything about the car can be more fully appreciated, augmented by beautiful music of the 32 valve tamed beast of an engine. I love everything about my SL550. I am spoiled for other cars, for life."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals