• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 144 Ratings for the 2003 - 2012 models.

The Best So Far

By on Saturday, November 28, 2009

"I have owned lots of cars in my life: big cars like a BMW 740i and a Mercedes CL500 and little cars like a Chrysler Crossfire convertible and Mercdes 320SLK. This is the 2nd SL I have owned, and I will probably own one forever. For me there is no better blend of style, performance, top down fun, gadgetry and VALUE. It seems strange to use the the word "value" and SL class Mercedes in the same sentence, but it's true, and here's the secret: Buy Preowned. Let someone else take the 50% or more hit in the first two or three years. You already know that these cars are usually the best maintened of any because of both the absurd original price and the fussiness of the owners. They are always brought to a dealer for servicing (usually via free pickup and delivery), and often have very low mileage. They are often the 2nd or third car the owner drives; rarely the number one daily ride. Of course it could be. The first time around I bought a gorgeous 2005 SL500 with about 8000 miles on it for about 55% of its original list. The warranty was expiring so I just traded it in on a mint 2007 SL550 with an original list of over $100,000. I'm smarter now and the economy isn't that great so this time I paid considerably less than half and of the 2007 MSRP. Oh yeah, I also got four and a half years more of complete "new car" warranty. How, you ask? Well, Mercedes gives four years to start, the CPO deal gives you an extra year. Then I bought an addiional two year bumper to bumper warranty from Mercedes itself for $4000 - well worth it if you want to keep the car and you ever have a repair. These are great cars, but they are super complicated and stuff does break! So altogether then the car is warrantied by Mercedes for seven year or 100,000 miles. This car was put in service in March of 2007. It has 20,000 miles on it so there are four and half years and 80,000 miles to go. I think I'm good to go for a while. So now think about it. Where can you buy a $100,000+ car that has to be one of the sharpest on the planet for in the mid 40s and have it warrantied for almost five more years? Think about it before you buy that $45,000 Mustang or Z or even the 350SLK."

Fun . . . but really unreliable

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

"The car does not disappoint with respect to syling, amenities, and performance although it is a little heavy on its feet and definitely not a true sports car. Retractable roof is a great feature and with the pano option provides a nice, bright, and airy cockpit in the winter. Having said all this I would never recommend this car due to its abysmal reliability. I purchased my car new a year and a half ago and have put less than 10k miles on it. It has left me stranded three times. The first two incidents involved complete transmission failure leaving me with a dead car in city traffic. The third and most frightening incident involved a total failure of the brake system leaving me with only a rudimentary backup brake system and a VERY impressive display of warning lights and alarms. I bought this car with the assumption that Daimler had cleaned up its well-known quality problems of recent years but this obviously must not be the case. Never again."

Better than I expected

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "very fun to drive, great with the top down or up"

Cons: "cup holders are just in a strange place for me"

"This car is a real joy to drive on long trips of short jaunts around town. Its been a real gem for me over the first 18 months, with no issues to report, other than the turbo "chirp" noise that was fixed after adding some stop squeak. I What's funny is this is the first real sports car I have owned that my wife also loves. I have owned Vettes, a 911 and Boxster S and she wasn't crazy about the ride for anything other than a quick trip to the store. But she loves this thing, going to Aspen, or shopping or down the the Springs and back. Everyone loves this car. I love the throaty sound. Its so much different than a typical Mercedes purrr and makes you really appreciate the ride more. Get this if: If you are looking for the best bang for your shopping dollar in the luxury performance arena. You love the balance of precision, power and cruise comfort. You don't mind people staring. You love to sometimes rocket to the speed limit. You are tired of ragtops and want something that feels like a sedan when the top is up."

Wicked Fast!

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"I just bought a used SL65 AMG with less than 30K miles. My friends told me that MBZ's had quality issues, but I couldn't help myself. With over 600 hp it is quicker than my Z06 or 360 Ferrari. The styling is great, but too close to other MBZ's that are far less expensive. And then there are the quality issues. Not major ones, just a few quirky issues like electronics not fully working and brakes that squeak like a UPS truck. Not impossible, but for a car with an MSRP of over $200K, they are annoying. Also, the NAV system and the multiple menus for changing options are cumbersome to work with. But push the button on the gearshift to fire up that V-12 and the sound makes you overlook many of its shortcomings. WARNING: used values drop like a rock! Don't buy one new unless you can afford to take the huge hit."

A Great Compromise

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"I traded my 2002 CL500 for a 2006 SL500 last month. My CL was one of the best cars that I have ever owned, fast, quiet, smooth, luxerious, etc. However, no one ever liked sitting in the rear seats, even to go less than five miles. Just too hard to get in and out. So, since no one liked the rear seat, we did not use it, and with the SL, I dont have to hear about any "too hard to use", complaints from my better half. In comparison, the SL500 is a great compromise, it has many of the same features of the CL, it's great looking, faster, ( appears faster), luxarious, and is an easy comfortable - 16 total seconds to get up or down. The negatives would be, it rides rougher, ( AMG Wheels,and wider tires on the SL), is smaller inside, ( I am 6'3" tall), and the shorter wheelbase makes the road stripes louder. However, I love the convertable top, like rolling down a window, and the car looks great with the top up or down. They both are great cars. I drove Porsche's for several weekends as a comparison, and while I truely liked them, they were rough, loud, not near as luxarious inside, and my wife would not drive a Porsche. She likes driving the SL500 when I am not in it."

The best SL ever!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"This is my third SL and its the best ever. Dont buy new unless you can take a big hit on value. Buy a one owner with low milage and you will love the car even more when you see the value it holds after five or more years. This car is the most exciting car to drive in total luxury and speed to kill for."

3rd SL and the best

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"I've owned 3 SLs in 5 years. The SL550 is by far the best. And the best car I ever have driven. Faults? yes. Mainly the insane standard service prices, and resale values which are among the worst in the industry."

Practical yet high performance

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "Luxury, elegant appearance and high performance"

Cons: "Expensive"

"I had to decide between Porsche 911 or Mercedes SL. In contrast to Porsche, this is a heavy car. Ultimately, however, I opted for Mercedes SL instead because, unlike Porsche 911, its luxury interior and hardtop makes this car a practical and very comfortable luxury daily automobile. Yet, it is also a high performance sport car. Plus, stylistically it is ageless; a true head turner. Excellent for cruising down PCH with the top down. My car is very low mileage and it is in flawless condition. I have not had any mechanical issue. That said, maintenance and repair can be very expensive. Therefore, either buy very low mileage and keep annual driving to 10 K or less for the first 40 - 50 K; alternately if you are buying a used high mileage SLin that case concomitantly buy warranty."

maintence problems

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"while this car looks great its a maintence problem, always in the shop would not buy again. this is the 2nd sl the first was taken back as a lemon and the 2nd is a probem two !"

Luxurious roadster with power, handling

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "power, handling, top down driving, luxurious"

"With the convenient hard top convertible neatly stowed in the truck with ample storage remaining, this luxurious roadster is the perfect vehicle for a trip done the California coast or the winding mountain roads of the Sierra Nevadas. Quiet and comfortable until you suddenly accerate and the 493 HP AMG tuned engine generates a throaty roar and sets you back in the heated and massaging front seat. Owning the car for over six years, I have no complaints except that I don't have enough time to drive it. While I am sure the new models are equally nice, I prefer the style of front end of the 2003-2008 models with the round headlights. If your thinking of a used SL,choose the AMG version. The power is quite amazing. Truly a muscle car but with all the amenities and conveniences Mercedes is famous for."

Amazing Roadster

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"The most unbelievable roadster! Looks are what you get in this vehicle with the best curb appeal on the streets. Performance is also a plus with this vehicle. I traded my Corvette in for a SL 500 and haven't thought of that car since. While 302 HP may not be over the top, the torque gives you all you want at any RPM. The luxury interior and features are far more advanced than any of its competitors. Trunk space is ample considering the roof folds into it. When extra trunk space is needed a stopper can be moved back to allow more than enough trunk space, however the top will not be operational. Simple solution, once you arrive at your destination unload the trunk and drop the top. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a high performance luxury toy!"

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"This car is a wonderful driving machine. If I could make any changes I would raise the car about 10" and stretch it approx 18" to accomadate a taller person.Also the steering wheel does not raise up high enough.This is our 7th SL ."

Ultimate Boulevard Cruiser

By on Saturday, June 12, 2010

"I've owned by 2003 SL55 since new and continue to love this car more every day. As an owner of high power sports cars, I really love having my daily driver provide all the comfort I'd expect with a MBZ while providing the power that I'm used to from the supercharged V8. The addition of custom 20" wheels, slight lowering, and stainless steel exhaust makes this car even sharper and I still get positive compliments all the time even though it's approaching 50,000 miles and i7 years old. My only complaint is the reliability ... not very good to say the least. Anyone considering buying a used one, buy one with an extended warranty or be prepared to pay premium repair bills ... definitely not a Toyota in this area."

Beautiful Ride

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"This ride is a blend of class, performance, and comfort. I can't say it is repair free. i have had a few items, such as the strut, repaired under warranty. There has been minor recalls (campaign). After six years, it still looks new. This car hugs the curve like a race car. You feel safe behind the wheel since you have so much control and speed."

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"My second Mercedes SL. Most disappointing experience because there is always something not working in the car and the maintenance costs are astronomical. Full of electronic gadgets who don't seem to last and replacement costs of these gadgets are unforgivingly expensive! Every visit to the workshop (and there have been many!) are mostly just under $1,000 and I only have 35,000 miles on it! The car is a pleasure to drive, safe etc. but a real downer when it spends so much time in the workshop at great cost to the owner. Viva Porsche!"

Top Roadster

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

"Pick the SL500(550). Unless you are trained as a driver, you have no business with the AMG or V-12 unless you have a death wish. Even the stability programme engaged these cars are overwrought by the massive torque produced by these magnificent engines. A superb car, best mix of performance and utility out there and it's not very fussy. Ridiculously easy to drive in the standard setup, comfortable and the only car resembling a convertible sports car for a 6'5" driver like me."

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "retractable hard top"

"Great car that is fun to drive and styling is pretty much timeless. Decent performance and mileage in ultimate luxury and class. Love the convertible hardtop that eliminates the soft top issues of noise, wind and make them easy targets for theft. Seats are great and the options to move them are almost unlimited. Love the heat and ventilation. Highly recommend, especially if you can find a good used one for a fraction of the price."

Amazing car and more fun than should be legal

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, sporty, convertable or hardtop"

Cons: "Trunk is on small side."

"Great car, sporty, powerful and fun to drive. Flip the switch, put the top down and enjoy. The technology in this car is truly amazing. It's a "head turner" wherever I go. Decent on gas, low maintenance, typical Mercedes, fantastic value for the money. Trunk storage is the same with the top up or down, not huge but who cares when you're having this much fun! Amazingly quiet with the top down."

03 SL500

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"Beautiful car but buy a warranty and keep it. Batteries replaced 4 times, engine gaskets, leaks, glove box, locks, engine mounts,seat computers, windows always out of sync. This car is a rolling computer and something is always wrong with it even with regualr dealer service and low milage. It has alot of eletrical problems. i would buy this model again. Have had other Mercedes that were great for years. This is not one of them. Plan of 5k annual fixes plus routine maintenance."

UNBELIEVABLE IN EVERY WAY

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I BOUGHT THE 2007- SL600- PEWTER WITH STONE INTERIOR. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE TO COMPARE IT TO AND I DROVE EVERY OTHER HIGH END CONVERTIBLE BEFORE I CHOSE THE SL600. THE AMG PACKAGE ENHANCES THE LOOK OF THE CAR AND EVERYWHERE I TAKE IT, PEOPLE JUST STAND AND ADMIRE IT. MY WIFE LOVES HER XKR JAGUAR CONVERTIBLE BUT EACH MORNING THE SL600 IS ALWAYS HER CHOICE FOR THE DAY. I GUESS I NEED TO BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR ME TO USE. WE LOVE THE CAR MORE EVERY DAY AND NOT ONE PROBLEM OTHER THAN REGULAR SERVICES-EVERY 10,000 MILES. WITH 510 HORSE POWER AND 612 LB-FT OF TORQUE, I HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE PULLING AWAY FROM ANY OTHER CAR. AT 65 YEARS OF AGE, I FEEL LIKE I AM 25 AGAIN BEHIND THE WHEEL AND I HATE TO GET OUT OF THE CAR."

too many problems

By on Thursday, October 23, 2008

"There's a serious flaw with the ABC system. Had to take it back to the dealer several times before the dealer could figure out the problem."

excellent overall vehicle, very pricy but incrediy

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Smokes any stock car out ther, including Vipers and Z06 and m5 or m6"

After owning this car, is there a better one?

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Luxury, practical, efficient, technology, safe fun"

Cons: "Two seats only, small trunk"

"I will start with the disadvantage: very small trunk, just for golf clubs or a midsize suitcase. Ok, now the advantages: the performance of a car this size with such a nice engine is incredible. Whoever says it sucks gas, it is not true. What do you expect with an eight cilinders, 5 liters engine? But the weight of the car compensates and makes it an affordable easy to drive car. If you want luxury and all the gadgets technology brings, this is the car for you. Reliable, excellent safety features, sound system, ventilated seats, push button for all comfort in long trips. What else can you ask for? I use it as an everyday car and I am having a hard time even thinking what car will be the next. Hardtop convertible, beautiful lines and eye catching. Brakes are the best. hard to beat an SL with another car. If you go for a bmw 6 series, or a bentley, the size of those cars won't make them fuel efficient and ageless like the SL."

German Engineering rocks!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"This is the best of both worlds - luxury, performance, and believe it or not comfort! Drive one. You'll be hooked. I've had absolutely no maintenance issues - reliable as the day is long."

Daily driver

By on Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Bought this in 2008 as a weekend car and is now a daily driver. Great power, convertible hadtop for those nice California days, very comfortable and great handling. Could not ask for anything more!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals