2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 145 Ratings for the 2003 - 2012 models.

Better than I expected

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "very fun to drive, great with the top down or up"

Cons: "cup holders are just in a strange place for me"

"This car is a real joy to drive on long trips of short jaunts around town. Its been a real gem for me over the first 18 months, with no issues to report, other than the turbo "chirp" noise that was fixed after adding some stop squeak. I What's funny is this is the first real sports car I have owned that my wife also loves. I have owned Vettes, a 911 and Boxster S and she wasn't crazy about the ride for anything other than a quick trip to the store. But she loves this thing, going to Aspen, or shopping or down the the Springs and back. Everyone loves this car. I love the throaty sound. Its so much different than a typical Mercedes purrr and makes you really appreciate the ride more. Get this if: If you are looking for the best bang for your shopping dollar in the luxury performance arena. You love the balance of precision, power and cruise comfort. You don't mind people staring. You love to sometimes rocket to the speed limit. You are tired of ragtops and want something that feels like a sedan when the top is up."

Wicked Fast!

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"I just bought a used SL65 AMG with less than 30K miles. My friends told me that MBZ's had quality issues, but I couldn't help myself. With over 600 hp it is quicker than my Z06 or 360 Ferrari. The styling is great, but too close to other MBZ's that are far less expensive. And then there are the quality issues. Not major ones, just a few quirky issues like electronics not fully working and brakes that squeak like a UPS truck. Not impossible, but for a car with an MSRP of over $200K, they are annoying. Also, the NAV system and the multiple menus for changing options are cumbersome to work with. But push the button on the gearshift to fire up that V-12 and the sound makes you overlook many of its shortcomings. WARNING: used values drop like a rock! Don't buy one new unless you can afford to take the huge hit."

maintence problems

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"while this car looks great its a maintence problem, always in the shop would not buy again. this is the 2nd sl the first was taken back as a lemon and the 2nd is a probem two !"

Luxurious roadster with power, handling

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "power, handling, top down driving, luxurious"

"With the convenient hard top convertible neatly stowed in the truck with ample storage remaining, this luxurious roadster is the perfect vehicle for a trip done the California coast or the winding mountain roads of the Sierra Nevadas. Quiet and comfortable until you suddenly accerate and the 493 HP AMG tuned engine generates a throaty roar and sets you back in the heated and massaging front seat. Owning the car for over six years, I have no complaints except that I don't have enough time to drive it. While I am sure the new models are equally nice, I prefer the style of front end of the 2003-2008 models with the round headlights. If your thinking of a used SL,choose the AMG version. The power is quite amazing. Truly a muscle car but with all the amenities and conveniences Mercedes is famous for."

Amazing Roadster

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"The most unbelievable roadster! Looks are what you get in this vehicle with the best curb appeal on the streets. Performance is also a plus with this vehicle. I traded my Corvette in for a SL 500 and haven't thought of that car since. While 302 HP may not be over the top, the torque gives you all you want at any RPM. The luxury interior and features are far more advanced than any of its competitors. Trunk space is ample considering the roof folds into it. When extra trunk space is needed a stopper can be moved back to allow more than enough trunk space, however the top will not be operational. Simple solution, once you arrive at your destination unload the trunk and drop the top. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a high performance luxury toy!"

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"This car is a wonderful driving machine. If I could make any changes I would raise the car about 10" and stretch it approx 18" to accomadate a taller person.Also the steering wheel does not raise up high enough.This is our 7th SL ."

Ultimate Boulevard Cruiser

By on Saturday, June 12, 2010

"I've owned by 2003 SL55 since new and continue to love this car more every day. As an owner of high power sports cars, I really love having my daily driver provide all the comfort I'd expect with a MBZ while providing the power that I'm used to from the supercharged V8. The addition of custom 20" wheels, slight lowering, and stainless steel exhaust makes this car even sharper and I still get positive compliments all the time even though it's approaching 50,000 miles and i7 years old. My only complaint is the reliability ... not very good to say the least. Anyone considering buying a used one, buy one with an extended warranty or be prepared to pay premium repair bills ... definitely not a Toyota in this area."

Beautiful Ride

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"This ride is a blend of class, performance, and comfort. I can't say it is repair free. i have had a few items, such as the strut, repaired under warranty. There has been minor recalls (campaign). After six years, it still looks new. This car hugs the curve like a race car. You feel safe behind the wheel since you have so much control and speed."

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"My second Mercedes SL. Most disappointing experience because there is always something not working in the car and the maintenance costs are astronomical. Full of electronic gadgets who don't seem to last and replacement costs of these gadgets are unforgivingly expensive! Every visit to the workshop (and there have been many!) are mostly just under $1,000 and I only have 35,000 miles on it! The car is a pleasure to drive, safe etc. but a real downer when it spends so much time in the workshop at great cost to the owner. Viva Porsche!"

Top Roadster

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

"Pick the SL500(550). Unless you are trained as a driver, you have no business with the AMG or V-12 unless you have a death wish. Even the stability programme engaged these cars are overwrought by the massive torque produced by these magnificent engines. A superb car, best mix of performance and utility out there and it's not very fussy. Ridiculously easy to drive in the standard setup, comfortable and the only car resembling a convertible sports car for a 6'5" driver like me."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals