• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 156 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

Great value on a roadster BUT!!!!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "check the engine wire harness and convert top cyl"

94 SL500 top off

"I have been driving Mercedes for the past 30 years, i have owned several S-class mercedes. this is a great driving roadster. Mercedes did a few stupid things in the design of this car. There is a engine harness problem that can be corrected with an after market harness that was made to correct the problem with the 1993-1995 models. the vendor that made the original harness us a bio-degradable insulation on the wirers, so when they get a worn they will break down and cause your car to idle rough or turn off. if you are welling to purchase the harness from $250-$1,000.00 dollar depending on were you go, it is a great value for a used one. Remember this was a 100K car when it was new.One other thing i forgot to mention, the convertible to cylinders seals will leak when they get old, you will need to have the rebuilted watch cost more money if you have the dealer replace; it will cost $500.00 if you're handy with taking them off your self."

94 SL500 top off

Great class car.

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Great driving, great looking that does everything"

Cons: "Some parts expensive at dealer."

"Superb driving car at any speed. The Silver Arrow Edition still a great looking car, interior and exterior. The technology of this car is not intrusive and very intuitive to use."

Good machine overall

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Holds it own with Porsche 911 turbo."

Cons: "Gas mileage, scary on wet roads at speed."

"Car is a blast to drive, however it is bad on gas. 17 mpg highway at a constant 80 MPH. Adding aftermarket chip did much for performance but noticed very little in gas savings."

Without a doubt, the finest automoboile ever mfg.

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "10 mins. on the highway and you're hooked for life"

Cons: "I can only afford one."

"I've owned a BMW, Corvette, and a 911SC. This car puts them all to shame. Incredible power with with the handling agility of a F-14. (Retired Marine Corps fighter pilot) WOW! WOW! WOW! There's simply not enough adjectives to describe this machine."

ride in style

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "stylish,low maintenance, easy to repair"

Cons: "hard to get in and out of, premium fuel"

a quarter of a million miles and still going

"I bought this car 5 years ago with 217,000 miles sight-unseen off the internet. I always wanted a mid-90s SL but Im not made of money. Since the milage was high, I got it for a bargain. This is truely a gentlemans sports car. I get upto 22mpg in town. The only issue I have is getting in and out of it. Once in, its rides like a dream. Mechanically I have had very few issues and most I can fix myself (new starter, new ignition coils). Until 240,000 miles, that was it. Then the engine control module fried, but that was only $400. Dont fret high mileage on this car. Everything (except the heated seats) still work."

a quarter of a million miles and still going

Market may be at bottom-a great buying opportunity

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "styling price build quality"

Cons: "cost of servicing (if you don't do it yourself)"

"I bought this car - a 1996 SL500 - in January and it is now August 2013. It was a 1 owner but in the last 3-4 years the car was neglected other than maybe oil changes. So I have had to fix things I didn't think would need repairing - but I am still happy with the car. I think the styling is better than the subsequent SLs - it is a head turner. Within the 12 years of production were a lot of changes. For this year they used a radio made by Alpine - and the LCD screen is known to get black after just a few years. Replaced it with the Becker unit used in the equivalent SL - it looks identical and plugs right in. The M119 V8 - used until 6-98 when the M113 was substituted, is a hot rod. I get 20 in town and 23 on the road, the same as my old 6 cylinder 300E. Tap the accelerator to pass on the freeway and you are going 90. 1996 was the first year of OBD II - they got rid of the distributors and went electronic (cylinders have individual ignitors) As someone else mentioned though if you have to pay a shop to do everything it can be expensive. One thing I just replaced were some plastic "oiler tubes" that plug into the heads and feed the lifters of (I presume) the intake cams. The factory went cheap - substituted plastic for aluminum in 1993 and the plastic will break over time. The aftermarket has aluminum ones - I went to a junk yard and pulled 16 aluminum ones from a 1992 E420. The mirror - one of the first to incorporate electronics (rear view) keeps tension with a flimsy plastic clip that is known to break and become wobbly. Mercedes doesn't sell just the clip - the mirror is $1K. But there are DIY solutions on the net. My engine, the M119 (the earlier V8) still uses less than a qt of oil in (so far) 6,000 miles. I could go on and on but I would recommend the V8 for value (gets about the same performance as the V12 but easier to service) - the I6 had a known problem of head gasket failures due to the oil passage being to close to the coolant - and it gets only negligibly better mileage The roof hydraulic system has 12 cylinders whose O-Rings tend to leak over time - the Aftermarket (Top Hydraulics) designed a better material - 1996 was also the first year of their 722.6 automatic transmission - 5 speeds - it has a special ATF that the factory thought would never need changing. Although experience in the field showed that clutch packs still wear and if not changed in 100,000 miles or so th3 transmission is shot - so even though this isn't on the factory's official service schedule, change it every 60,000 miles (costs $200-$300). I get comments on this car all the time - the last of the classic SLs with the removable hardtop. But shop carefully and use Carfax - because many are so cheap a lot have been "ridden hard and put away wet""

1999 sl500 What a car !

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Very fast very fun to drive and its a Mercedes :)"

Cons: "Exspensive to repair, up keep on oil & maintenence"

"Power ? eats vettes all day long. Everything in this car is power and for an original sticker price of 92 grand I expect no less. Put the top down with a touch of a button and the roll bar up and the heads never stop turning, what a great feeling at least in Florida to drive along the coast in a MERC drop top. Very expensive to repair and maintain but it's a Mercedes and you get what you pay for. Oil changes are very expensive but I do them myself for around 100 bucks for oil and filter. 0w-40 Euro formula is what you should use. Gas mileage is not great, around 15 MPG average. CD player is garbage and should be replaced with an aftermarket. Brakes are expensive as well but very easy to do yourself. other then the few odds and ends as any other car it is a real pleasure to drive and the top speed is incredible with no limiters :) the engine is bullet proof just keep up with maintenance and oil changes. You will not be sorry to own this car but do yourself a favor and find a good one with low miles and no problems. Always check the convertible for leaks as it is a hydraulic system. keep your battery up to date as it powers everything even when the car is off and if it goes dead or you disconnect it , you will need the radio code, just a tip for everyone, Mercedes dealers have to give you a new code if you don't know it or lose it for free as long as you own the car, even if you just purchased it second hand. Al free of charge and it only takes a few minutes."

Still an awesome car

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Classic look, smooth ride."

Cons: "Repair cost"

"Fun car top up or top down' down preferably. Though a little long in the tooth, she still draws lots of attention. Has been the most dependable car I've ever owned."

600 Sl best sports car I ever owned

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive wth close to 400 hp. very reliable"

Cons: "not that I know"

"I own a 99 600 sl sport triple black. It's an underrated car and I think it's already a classic. For an car what actually was close to $ 130.000 in 99 and it's quality and fun it's obviousely undervalued. Instead getting cheaper every year the value should go up because of it's limited quantity."

Love my 95 SL

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Well made, comfortable, good looks, great road car"

Cons: "can be expensive if your not a home mechanic"

"Was looking for an affordable two seater or convertable. Glad we bought this instead of a C4 Corvette or convertable Mustang. Mustangs were cheaply made. Corvettes cramped, noisy, rattle traps. The SL has been reliable, comfortable, semi-easy to work on (at least for a Mercedes). Car drives great, has a nice cabin set up, firm and planted at highway speeds, and looks great even for a car that has "dated" styling. So many looks and compliiments where ever we drive it. Couldn't be happier with our choice and our dollar value. The hard top/convertable choice makes much more sense in our hot southern Utah weather. Nice to have the option. You just feel special every time you get in it. Best 6K I think I've ever spent!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals