• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 158 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

Magnificent, but overrated in the comfort aspect

By on Saturday, February 02, 2008

"I just bought an '04 and had a 270mls drive through the desert to bring it home. I should mention, I'm a big guy. 5'11 at 224 pounds. I should also mention, I've driven S, CLS and CLK classes before. The car is stunningly beautiful. The design, to me, is the most beautiful serial car ever. The performance is close to race car. Now don't get me wrong, I know it is a performance roadster, and thus should feel and handle like one. Please don't think I misunderstood the concept of a performance car. However, the name Mercedes-Benz implies a certain level of comfort. To me it was always synonymous with the art/magic of making high-performance cars feel and handle very "comfortably". That being said, to this day I haven't managed to find the right seat position for me. I always have to trade off leg-space for seat-angle or vice versa. After only 1.5 hours freeway my back started to hurt, and neither seat heating nor lumbar support would change that. To sum up my experience, despite having some "enchanting" race-car moments I enjoyed very much, the potential buyer should consider that it can be work driving this car. You are buying a performance car, and that is what you get. Congested city traffic is a nightmare, because the abundant power of the vehicle makes it leap forward just by thinking of the pedal, resulting in a very "hectic" gas/brakes experience. That doesn't make it anything less magnificent, just mind you, beware what you wish for. This is a car with unsacrificing performance features. If you want a performance oriented Benz but also desire the comfort associated with the brand, you may want to consider CLS or CLK classes. Driving this vehicle is a joy, but certainly it is what it is, driving a performance car that sacrifices comfort for performance."

A wonderful sports car

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"I have owned my 1999 SL500 for over a year with the only one problem, a speaker in the door went out, other than that no other failures at all. With the hard top on it is a little squeaky when driving on bumpy roads. As for the interior the vinyl on the windshield pillars is starting to come unglued near the bottom, but I was quouted $150 at my local upholstery shop to fix this problem. Other than these two complaints this is the best sports car I have ever owned. It handles like a dream and plenty of power. With the top down and windscreen up you can drive at 100 MPH+ and hardly notice. This car was a bargain at 20K and in like new condition, once you drive an SL500 all other cars fail in comparison, you will be hooked once you take it out on the highway and let loose with the speed and handling. I absolutely love this car with its handling, looks, and reliability, this is a car worth owning if you enjoy sports cars and want to enjoy a car someone else spent around 100K and you can now own for around 20K. A bargain indeed and for a car that is not only fun, but reliable as well."

Great fun in droptop style

By on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"The more you drive, the more you love. Not as sporty as some but a blast to drive as a pure touring car. Corners flat, runs fast, sounds great. A thrill everytime you touch the accelerator."

Easy to maintain...solid vehicle

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Formerly owned a 95 SL500 (actually wife's). I agree with everything posted previously. I felt bad for the guy quoted $2300-$7000 to get the top hydroelectric repairs performed. The leaky top cyclinders can be purchased for $150 apiece and replaced in the comfort of your own garage in about an hour!!! A phillips screwdriver and an allen wrench set is all you need! I'm not a Mercedes mechanic, but I performed most all of the necessary work myself. Probably the cheapest-to-repair MB I've ever owned! Looking at a 96 SL500 for my kid...just test driving it brings back memories!"

Power/Styling/Convertable Comfort in one Package

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I've owned my '94 SL500 for 5 years, with relatively minor repairs, most due to some neglect by prior owner. MB Dealer's service & repairs are pricey, but that's one of the MB owner's conditions of ownership. Car is a rocket when you put pedal to metal at any speed.... corner's & hugs road at high speeds with remarkbly flat "lean" (regardless of it's weight). It doesn't drive like a BMW, but is smoother and more sedate... low road noise, smoother over the bumps. Plenty of luggage space, boot space (behind front seats) for 2 on a trip. Creature comforts galore, plenty of head and leg room for both driver and passenger (I'm 6'1"). Get's ~24 - 25 mpg on highway, 17 mpg in-town driving without being lead-footed accelerating from stops. Turning circle is one of MB's best features... tighter than a Civic's for example, so easy maneuverability in tight spaces. Sound system is terrific... Hard or softtop. With hardtop on you can't tell it's a convertable (noise-wise). With top down, using the optional windscreen attached and up, & window's up there's nearly no wind disturbance - wife's hair doesn't get mussed) ."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals