2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 156 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

incredable car. i love it. runs like a champ.

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "500 sl worth every dime"

Cons: "very expensive to fix con. top. little.things cost"

"Ive been driving mercedes since 1989. First the 560 sl. Then the 500 sl. The power this carhas is unbelievable. It might be expensive to repair , however, they really dont break toooften. My car is 14 years old and gave me great performance. Needed breaks and tiresover the years and is now showing signs of ware. Con top plastic window a mess. Needs new air conditioner. I really dont want to give this car up. But how much $ do you put into a 14 year old car?"

Excellent handling, leather interior, new top,hard

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Great mid to high speed handling solid road feel"

Cons: "Non critical electrical problems."

"My car has a new radiator,new front suspension, new power steering box, new water to engine feed unit, new fuel injectors system, new parking break cables to all wheels, new high performance battery , new convertible top, like new hardtop, overall like new paint job,like new tires, excellent interior (leather and fabric ) auto memory seat, mirror adjustment, custom magnaflow exhaust system. Over-all Car condition great...Color white, gray trim; bumper's side"

A great vehicle.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

"I purchased this vehicle 3 years ago with 24,000 miles at a great price. Handles great, smooth ride. Low maintenance. Stylish."

I love my coupe

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "great driving experience"

Cons: "Maintenance can be pricey"

"I bought this 3 years ago, only had 45,000 miles when I got it."

Fun to drive.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I have had many cars in my life, but never as fun to drive as this one. It handles like a dream, fast and responsive. With the top down and the wind in your hair, it's as good as it gets."

Most expensive and fun to drive vehicle I've owned

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Runs great, fun to drive, a reall feeling of power"

Cons: "Your friends will love you!"

Puch it to the floor and feel all 12 ponies at your command-start screaming!

"Very clean Mercedes Benz SL600 with V-12 engine and sports package. Panoramic roof with manual hoist. Previous owner-Dorothy Fenwick, 907 Skyline Dr.,Van Buren, AR. Very clean triple black. New soft-top roof. May need some minor repairs, depending upon buyers wishes. Originally priced at $133,000. Roll bar up or down. Comes with all manuals and service records."

Puch it to the floor and feel all 12 ponies at your command-start screaming!

Was my dream car. Getting too old for it,need SUV.

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "Very cool looking convertible, very nice condition"

Cons: "Carries only two people, but lots of storage."

"Brand new tires, less than 1,000 on the tires. Removable hardtop with a stand for storage. Added trailer hitch for bike rack. Added iPod connection to radio."

nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "stealer price"

Cons: "cup holder is in the back with emergency kit"

"it would be good for a menchanic lover want to sell as is for 2,500 it do not run had just got it out of the shop about a year ago. and it's been sitting up. keap up very well."

Great car, less then 25000 miles.

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "great sports car with 12 cycliners hard to beat."

Cons: "It is a 1996 so not all the latest stuff"

"Car is in perfect condition, no accidents. Has all the extras. Beautiful red color with high end chrome wheels. Interior is very clean, like new."

Absolutely Awesome

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, convertible, reliable"

Cons: "Bad Gas Mileage, heavy car at nearly 4k lbs."

"Awesome... A $100,000 car for $5,000? This thing is awesome and is a dream to drive and will turn heads. Great flashy car for a steal of a price."

Great value on a roadster BUT!!!!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "check the engine wire harness and convert top cyl"

94 SL500 top off

"I have been driving Mercedes for the past 30 years, i have owned several S-class mercedes. this is a great driving roadster. Mercedes did a few stupid things in the design of this car. There is a engine harness problem that can be corrected with an after market harness that was made to correct the problem with the 1993-1995 models. the vendor that made the original harness us a bio-degradable insulation on the wirers, so when they get a worn they will break down and cause your car to idle rough or turn off. if you are welling to purchase the harness from $250-$1,000.00 dollar depending on were you go, it is a great value for a used one. Remember this was a 100K car when it was new.One other thing i forgot to mention, the convertible to cylinders seals will leak when they get old, you will need to have the rebuilted watch cost more money if you have the dealer replace; it will cost $500.00 if you're handy with taking them off your self."

94 SL500 top off

Great class car.

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Great driving, great looking that does everything"

Cons: "Some parts expensive at dealer."

"Superb driving car at any speed. The Silver Arrow Edition still a great looking car, interior and exterior. The technology of this car is not intrusive and very intuitive to use."

Good machine overall

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Holds it own with Porsche 911 turbo."

Cons: "Gas mileage, scary on wet roads at speed."

"Car is a blast to drive, however it is bad on gas. 17 mpg highway at a constant 80 MPH. Adding aftermarket chip did much for performance but noticed very little in gas savings."

Without a doubt, the finest automoboile ever mfg.

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "10 mins. on the highway and you're hooked for life"

Cons: "I can only afford one."

"I've owned a BMW, Corvette, and a 911SC. This car puts them all to shame. Incredible power with with the handling agility of a F-14. (Retired Marine Corps fighter pilot) WOW! WOW! WOW! There's simply not enough adjectives to describe this machine."

ride in style

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "stylish,low maintenance, easy to repair"

Cons: "hard to get in and out of, premium fuel"

a quarter of a million miles and still going

"I bought this car 5 years ago with 217,000 miles sight-unseen off the internet. I always wanted a mid-90s SL but Im not made of money. Since the milage was high, I got it for a bargain. This is truely a gentlemans sports car. I get upto 22mpg in town. The only issue I have is getting in and out of it. Once in, its rides like a dream. Mechanically I have had very few issues and most I can fix myself (new starter, new ignition coils). Until 240,000 miles, that was it. Then the engine control module fried, but that was only $400. Dont fret high mileage on this car. Everything (except the heated seats) still work."

a quarter of a million miles and still going

Market may be at bottom-a great buying opportunity

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "styling price build quality"

Cons: "cost of servicing (if you don't do it yourself)"

"I bought this car - a 1996 SL500 - in January and it is now August 2013. It was a 1 owner but in the last 3-4 years the car was neglected other than maybe oil changes. So I have had to fix things I didn't think would need repairing - but I am still happy with the car. I think the styling is better than the subsequent SLs - it is a head turner. Within the 12 years of production were a lot of changes. For this year they used a radio made by Alpine - and the LCD screen is known to get black after just a few years. Replaced it with the Becker unit used in the equivalent SL - it looks identical and plugs right in. The M119 V8 - used until 6-98 when the M113 was substituted, is a hot rod. I get 20 in town and 23 on the road, the same as my old 6 cylinder 300E. Tap the accelerator to pass on the freeway and you are going 90. 1996 was the first year of OBD II - they got rid of the distributors and went electronic (cylinders have individual ignitors) As someone else mentioned though if you have to pay a shop to do everything it can be expensive. One thing I just replaced were some plastic "oiler tubes" that plug into the heads and feed the lifters of (I presume) the intake cams. The factory went cheap - substituted plastic for aluminum in 1993 and the plastic will break over time. The aftermarket has aluminum ones - I went to a junk yard and pulled 16 aluminum ones from a 1992 E420. The mirror - one of the first to incorporate electronics (rear view) keeps tension with a flimsy plastic clip that is known to break and become wobbly. Mercedes doesn't sell just the clip - the mirror is $1K. But there are DIY solutions on the net. My engine, the M119 (the earlier V8) still uses less than a qt of oil in (so far) 6,000 miles. I could go on and on but I would recommend the V8 for value (gets about the same performance as the V12 but easier to service) - the I6 had a known problem of head gasket failures due to the oil passage being to close to the coolant - and it gets only negligibly better mileage The roof hydraulic system has 12 cylinders whose O-Rings tend to leak over time - the Aftermarket (Top Hydraulics) designed a better material - 1996 was also the first year of their 722.6 automatic transmission - 5 speeds - it has a special ATF that the factory thought would never need changing. Although experience in the field showed that clutch packs still wear and if not changed in 100,000 miles or so th3 transmission is shot - so even though this isn't on the factory's official service schedule, change it every 60,000 miles (costs $200-$300). I get comments on this car all the time - the last of the classic SLs with the removable hardtop. But shop carefully and use Carfax - because many are so cheap a lot have been "ridden hard and put away wet""

1999 sl500 What a car !

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Very fast very fun to drive and its a Mercedes :)"

Cons: "Exspensive to repair, up keep on oil & maintenence"

"Power ? eats vettes all day long. Everything in this car is power and for an original sticker price of 92 grand I expect no less. Put the top down with a touch of a button and the roll bar up and the heads never stop turning, what a great feeling at least in Florida to drive along the coast in a MERC drop top. Very expensive to repair and maintain but it's a Mercedes and you get what you pay for. Oil changes are very expensive but I do them myself for around 100 bucks for oil and filter. 0w-40 Euro formula is what you should use. Gas mileage is not great, around 15 MPG average. CD player is garbage and should be replaced with an aftermarket. Brakes are expensive as well but very easy to do yourself. other then the few odds and ends as any other car it is a real pleasure to drive and the top speed is incredible with no limiters :) the engine is bullet proof just keep up with maintenance and oil changes. You will not be sorry to own this car but do yourself a favor and find a good one with low miles and no problems. Always check the convertible for leaks as it is a hydraulic system. keep your battery up to date as it powers everything even when the car is off and if it goes dead or you disconnect it , you will need the radio code, just a tip for everyone, Mercedes dealers have to give you a new code if you don't know it or lose it for free as long as you own the car, even if you just purchased it second hand. Al free of charge and it only takes a few minutes."

Still an awesome car

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Classic look, smooth ride."

Cons: "Repair cost"

"Fun car top up or top down' down preferably. Though a little long in the tooth, she still draws lots of attention. Has been the most dependable car I've ever owned."

600 Sl best sports car I ever owned

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive wth close to 400 hp. very reliable"

Cons: "not that I know"

"I own a 99 600 sl sport triple black. It's an underrated car and I think it's already a classic. For an car what actually was close to $ 130.000 in 99 and it's quality and fun it's obviousely undervalued. Instead getting cheaper every year the value should go up because of it's limited quantity."

Love my 95 SL

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Well made, comfortable, good looks, great road car"

Cons: "can be expensive if your not a home mechanic"

"Was looking for an affordable two seater or convertable. Glad we bought this instead of a C4 Corvette or convertable Mustang. Mustangs were cheaply made. Corvettes cramped, noisy, rattle traps. The SL has been reliable, comfortable, semi-easy to work on (at least for a Mercedes). Car drives great, has a nice cabin set up, firm and planted at highway speeds, and looks great even for a car that has "dated" styling. So many looks and compliiments where ever we drive it. Couldn't be happier with our choice and our dollar value. The hard top/convertable choice makes much more sense in our hot southern Utah weather. Nice to have the option. You just feel special every time you get in it. Best 6K I think I've ever spent!"

Load of fun to drive

By on Saturday, June 02, 2012

Pros: "A used Ford Focus would cost the same"

"I could not stop smiling for weeks knowing I own this car. It handles like a slot car,has head turning looks, quality and it's a convertible. It's everything you want in a car."

The most beautiful car I ever owned

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Drivetrain, Exceptional Stereo, Finish"

Cons: "None I can find"

"WOW! It handles like a dream, moves like a cheetah and is timeless in it's style. The car is solid and the paint is the best I've seen on an automobile to date. I believe it has 7 coats. The Bose Stereo is magical. What a sound, even with roof down. Fantastic engineering. With all that sports car in it, it still rides like a big car. Not a lot of miles on it for a 2000 but no issues. It's a ball to drive. I hope it lasts forever."

Great power , cant drive in winter

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "315 horse power rwd"

Cons: "premium fuel"

"nice car but seats are to flat for long trips, sticker price was 99,975 in 1994 1300 just for being a gas hog."

I absolutely LOVE my Mercedes SL500!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Far too many to list!"

Cons: "If you are looking for cons, turn to other cars."

"From the day I purchased my SL500 new in 1999, and up to this day, NOTHING has changed about my car's performance, reliability, quality, durability! I am AMAZED as to how much Mercedes put into the building of their cars, that I would NEVER consider anything else! As of two weeks ago, I purchased a new S550 4Matic with a P3 Package, and again I stand in awe of the silence when sitting in my cabin! I am so AMAZED with Mercedes that I convinced my brother to buy a new C300 4Matic based on how WELL a Mercedes 4Matic performs on any road condition - in Minnesota, during winter, a four wheel drive is not an option! We shall be picking up my brother new C300 this week, and I firmly believe from what I have experienced with Mercedes Benz Automobiles, no matter the Class (C,E,S,SL, etcetera), Mercedes CONTINUES to build each automobile as if each one were based on being the Flagship Benz!"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive andown."

Cons: "Cost of certified mechanics to do basic upkeep."

"I have owned this car for over 10 years. Extremely reliable, as long as you do basic maintenance. Very smooth to drive and grips the road. Tons of safety features, including side air bags and a roll bar that automatically goes up when needed. Only compalints are wishing the CD player were up front (not thought of in 1997?) and cost to get certified mechanic to do basic work."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals