• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 160 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

1999 sl500 What a car !

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Very fast very fun to drive and its a Mercedes :)"

Cons: "Exspensive to repair, up keep on oil & maintenence"

"Power ? eats vettes all day long. Everything in this car is power and for an original sticker price of 92 grand I expect no less. Put the top down with a touch of a button and the roll bar up and the heads never stop turning, what a great feeling at least in Florida to drive along the coast in a MERC drop top. Very expensive to repair and maintain but it's a Mercedes and you get what you pay for. Oil changes are very expensive but I do them myself for around 100 bucks for oil and filter. 0w-40 Euro formula is what you should use. Gas mileage is not great, around 15 MPG average. CD player is garbage and should be replaced with an aftermarket. Brakes are expensive as well but very easy to do yourself. other then the few odds and ends as any other car it is a real pleasure to drive and the top speed is incredible with no limiters :) the engine is bullet proof just keep up with maintenance and oil changes. You will not be sorry to own this car but do yourself a favor and find a good one with low miles and no problems. Always check the convertible for leaks as it is a hydraulic system. keep your battery up to date as it powers everything even when the car is off and if it goes dead or you disconnect it , you will need the radio code, just a tip for everyone, Mercedes dealers have to give you a new code if you don't know it or lose it for free as long as you own the car, even if you just purchased it second hand. Al free of charge and it only takes a few minutes."

very nice car

By on Sunday, April 17, 2011

"I've had my 94 for about 4 years. It is a great car. It's a shame what some have paid for simple repairs. The top hydraulics above windshield can be removed in 30 minutes with basic tools and sent out to be rebuilt and reinstalled total cost about 100 bucks, this is just one example. The MB forums are very useful for identifing and fixing common faults. My SL 500 now has about 150k on it and I plan on keeping it forever."

Classy, great driver!

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Handling, excellant value for $70k car when new!"

Cons: "Preimun gas Hi dealer prices-now parts avail net:)"

"Even the 6 cylinder SL320 there is plenty of power. If you are looking for something that has loud pipes to get attention, this is the wrong car for you. Quiet and smooth ride. A 4,000 pound car makes you fell like you are driving a large luxury car, but with great handling. You see these cars with 150,000 mile still on the road."

Love my 95 SL

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Well made, comfortable, good looks, great road car"

Cons: "can be expensive if your not a home mechanic"

"Was looking for an affordable two seater or convertable. Glad we bought this instead of a C4 Corvette or convertable Mustang. Mustangs were cheaply made. Corvettes cramped, noisy, rattle traps. The SL has been reliable, comfortable, semi-easy to work on (at least for a Mercedes). Car drives great, has a nice cabin set up, firm and planted at highway speeds, and looks great even for a car that has "dated" styling. So many looks and compliiments where ever we drive it. Couldn't be happier with our choice and our dollar value. The hard top/convertable choice makes much more sense in our hot southern Utah weather. Nice to have the option. You just feel special every time you get in it. Best 6K I think I've ever spent!"

The most beautiful car I ever owned

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Drivetrain, Exceptional Stereo, Finish"

Cons: "None I can find"

"WOW! It handles like a dream, moves like a cheetah and is timeless in it's style. The car is solid and the paint is the best I've seen on an automobile to date. I believe it has 7 coats. The Bose Stereo is magical. What a sound, even with roof down. Fantastic engineering. With all that sports car in it, it still rides like a big car. Not a lot of miles on it for a 2000 but no issues. It's a ball to drive. I hope it lasts forever."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals