• 2014 Small Luxury Sport Sedans

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 150 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Was my dream car. Getting too old for it,need SUV.

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "Very cool looking convertible, very nice condition"

Cons: "Carries only two people, but lots of storage."

"Brand new tires, less than 1,000 on the tires. Removable hardtop with a stand for storage. Added trailer hitch for bike rack. Added iPod connection to radio."

nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "stealer price"

Cons: "cup holder is in the back with emergency kit"

"it would be good for a menchanic lover want to sell as is for 2,500 it do not run had just got it out of the shop about a year ago. and it's been sitting up. keap up very well."

Great car, less then 25000 miles.

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "great sports car with 12 cycliners hard to beat."

Cons: "It is a 1996 so not all the latest stuff"

"Car is in perfect condition, no accidents. Has all the extras. Beautiful red color with high end chrome wheels. Interior is very clean, like new."

Absolutely Awesome

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, convertible, reliable"

Cons: "Bad Gas Mileage, heavy car at nearly 4k lbs."

"Awesome... A $100,000 car for $5,000? This thing is awesome and is a dream to drive and will turn heads. Great flashy car for a steal of a price."

Great value on a roadster BUT!!!!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "check the engine wire harness and convert top cyl"

94 SL500 top off

"I have been driving Mercedes for the past 30 years, i have owned several S-class mercedes. this is a great driving roadster. Mercedes did a few stupid things in the design of this car. There is a engine harness problem that can be corrected with an after market harness that was made to correct the problem with the 1993-1995 models. the vendor that made the original harness us a bio-degradable insulation on the wirers, so when they get a worn they will break down and cause your car to idle rough or turn off. if you are welling to purchase the harness from $250-$1,000.00 dollar depending on were you go, it is a great value for a used one. Remember this was a 100K car when it was new.One other thing i forgot to mention, the convertible to cylinders seals will leak when they get old, you will need to have the rebuilted watch cost more money if you have the dealer replace; it will cost $500.00 if you're handy with taking them off your self."

94 SL500 top off

Great class car.

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Great driving, great looking that does everything"

Cons: "Some parts expensive at dealer."

"Superb driving car at any speed. The Silver Arrow Edition still a great looking car, interior and exterior. The technology of this car is not intrusive and very intuitive to use."

Good machine overall

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Holds it own with Porsche 911 turbo."

Cons: "Gas mileage, scary on wet roads at speed."

"Car is a blast to drive, however it is bad on gas. 17 mpg highway at a constant 80 MPH. Adding aftermarket chip did much for performance but noticed very little in gas savings."

Without a doubt, the finest automoboile ever mfg.

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "10 mins. on the highway and you're hooked for life"

Cons: "I can only afford one."

"I've owned a BMW, Corvette, and a 911SC. This car puts them all to shame. Incredible power with with the handling agility of a F-14. (Retired Marine Corps fighter pilot) WOW! WOW! WOW! There's simply not enough adjectives to describe this machine."

ride in style

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "stylish,low maintenance, easy to repair"

Cons: "hard to get in and out of, premium fuel"

a quarter of a million miles and still going

"I bought this car 5 years ago with 217,000 miles sight-unseen off the internet. I always wanted a mid-90s SL but Im not made of money. Since the milage was high, I got it for a bargain. This is truely a gentlemans sports car. I get upto 22mpg in town. The only issue I have is getting in and out of it. Once in, its rides like a dream. Mechanically I have had very few issues and most I can fix myself (new starter, new ignition coils). Until 240,000 miles, that was it. Then the engine control module fried, but that was only $400. Dont fret high mileage on this car. Everything (except the heated seats) still work."

a quarter of a million miles and still going

Market may be at bottom-a great buying opportunity

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "styling price build quality"

Cons: "cost of servicing (if you don't do it yourself)"

"I bought this car - a 1996 SL500 - in January and it is now August 2013. It was a 1 owner but in the last 3-4 years the car was neglected other than maybe oil changes. So I have had to fix things I didn't think would need repairing - but I am still happy with the car. I think the styling is better than the subsequent SLs - it is a head turner. Within the 12 years of production were a lot of changes. For this year they used a radio made by Alpine - and the LCD screen is known to get black after just a few years. Replaced it with the Becker unit used in the equivalent SL - it looks identical and plugs right in. The M119 V8 - used until 6-98 when the M113 was substituted, is a hot rod. I get 20 in town and 23 on the road, the same as my old 6 cylinder 300E. Tap the accelerator to pass on the freeway and you are going 90. 1996 was the first year of OBD II - they got rid of the distributors and went electronic (cylinders have individual ignitors) As someone else mentioned though if you have to pay a shop to do everything it can be expensive. One thing I just replaced were some plastic "oiler tubes" that plug into the heads and feed the lifters of (I presume) the intake cams. The factory went cheap - substituted plastic for aluminum in 1993 and the plastic will break over time. The aftermarket has aluminum ones - I went to a junk yard and pulled 16 aluminum ones from a 1992 E420. The mirror - one of the first to incorporate electronics (rear view) keeps tension with a flimsy plastic clip that is known to break and become wobbly. Mercedes doesn't sell just the clip - the mirror is $1K. But there are DIY solutions on the net. My engine, the M119 (the earlier V8) still uses less than a qt of oil in (so far) 6,000 miles. I could go on and on but I would recommend the V8 for value (gets about the same performance as the V12 but easier to service) - the I6 had a known problem of head gasket failures due to the oil passage being to close to the coolant - and it gets only negligibly better mileage The roof hydraulic system has 12 cylinders whose O-Rings tend to leak over time - the Aftermarket (Top Hydraulics) designed a better material - 1996 was also the first year of their 722.6 automatic transmission - 5 speeds - it has a special ATF that the factory thought would never need changing. Although experience in the field showed that clutch packs still wear and if not changed in 100,000 miles or so th3 transmission is shot - so even though this isn't on the factory's official service schedule, change it every 60,000 miles (costs $200-$300). I get comments on this car all the time - the last of the classic SLs with the removable hardtop. But shop carefully and use Carfax - because many are so cheap a lot have been "ridden hard and put away wet""

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals