• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 158 Ratings for the 1994 - 2002 models.

1999 sl500 What a car !

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Very fast very fun to drive and its a Mercedes :)"

Cons: "Exspensive to repair, up keep on oil & maintenence"

"Power ? eats vettes all day long. Everything in this car is power and for an original sticker price of 92 grand I expect no less. Put the top down with a touch of a button and the roll bar up and the heads never stop turning, what a great feeling at least in Florida to drive along the coast in a MERC drop top. Very expensive to repair and maintain but it's a Mercedes and you get what you pay for. Oil changes are very expensive but I do them myself for around 100 bucks for oil and filter. 0w-40 Euro formula is what you should use. Gas mileage is not great, around 15 MPG average. CD player is garbage and should be replaced with an aftermarket. Brakes are expensive as well but very easy to do yourself. other then the few odds and ends as any other car it is a real pleasure to drive and the top speed is incredible with no limiters :) the engine is bullet proof just keep up with maintenance and oil changes. You will not be sorry to own this car but do yourself a favor and find a good one with low miles and no problems. Always check the convertible for leaks as it is a hydraulic system. keep your battery up to date as it powers everything even when the car is off and if it goes dead or you disconnect it , you will need the radio code, just a tip for everyone, Mercedes dealers have to give you a new code if you don't know it or lose it for free as long as you own the car, even if you just purchased it second hand. Al free of charge and it only takes a few minutes."

very nice car

By on Sunday, April 17, 2011

"I've had my 94 for about 4 years. It is a great car. It's a shame what some have paid for simple repairs. The top hydraulics above windshield can be removed in 30 minutes with basic tools and sent out to be rebuilt and reinstalled total cost about 100 bucks, this is just one example. The MB forums are very useful for identifing and fixing common faults. My SL 500 now has about 150k on it and I plan on keeping it forever."

Love my 95 SL

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Well made, comfortable, good looks, great road car"

Cons: "can be expensive if your not a home mechanic"

"Was looking for an affordable two seater or convertable. Glad we bought this instead of a C4 Corvette or convertable Mustang. Mustangs were cheaply made. Corvettes cramped, noisy, rattle traps. The SL has been reliable, comfortable, semi-easy to work on (at least for a Mercedes). Car drives great, has a nice cabin set up, firm and planted at highway speeds, and looks great even for a car that has "dated" styling. So many looks and compliiments where ever we drive it. Couldn't be happier with our choice and our dollar value. The hard top/convertable choice makes much more sense in our hot southern Utah weather. Nice to have the option. You just feel special every time you get in it. Best 6K I think I've ever spent!"

The most beautiful car I ever owned

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Drivetrain, Exceptional Stereo, Finish"

Cons: "None I can find"

"WOW! It handles like a dream, moves like a cheetah and is timeless in it's style. The car is solid and the paint is the best I've seen on an automobile to date. I believe it has 7 coats. The Bose Stereo is magical. What a sound, even with roof down. Fantastic engineering. With all that sports car in it, it still rides like a big car. Not a lot of miles on it for a 2000 but no issues. It's a ball to drive. I hope it lasts forever."

Classy, great driver!

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Handling, excellant value for $70k car when new!"

Cons: "Preimun gas Hi dealer prices-now parts avail net:)"

"Even the 6 cylinder SL320 there is plenty of power. If you are looking for something that has loud pipes to get attention, this is the wrong car for you. Quiet and smooth ride. A 4,000 pound car makes you fell like you are driving a large luxury car, but with great handling. You see these cars with 150,000 mile still on the road."

Magnificent, but overrated in the comfort aspect

By on Saturday, February 02, 2008

"I just bought an '04 and had a 270mls drive through the desert to bring it home. I should mention, I'm a big guy. 5'11 at 224 pounds. I should also mention, I've driven S, CLS and CLK classes before. The car is stunningly beautiful. The design, to me, is the most beautiful serial car ever. The performance is close to race car. Now don't get me wrong, I know it is a performance roadster, and thus should feel and handle like one. Please don't think I misunderstood the concept of a performance car. However, the name Mercedes-Benz implies a certain level of comfort. To me it was always synonymous with the art/magic of making high-performance cars feel and handle very "comfortably". That being said, to this day I haven't managed to find the right seat position for me. I always have to trade off leg-space for seat-angle or vice versa. After only 1.5 hours freeway my back started to hurt, and neither seat heating nor lumbar support would change that. To sum up my experience, despite having some "enchanting" race-car moments I enjoyed very much, the potential buyer should consider that it can be work driving this car. You are buying a performance car, and that is what you get. Congested city traffic is a nightmare, because the abundant power of the vehicle makes it leap forward just by thinking of the pedal, resulting in a very "hectic" gas/brakes experience. That doesn't make it anything less magnificent, just mind you, beware what you wish for. This is a car with unsacrificing performance features. If you want a performance oriented Benz but also desire the comfort associated with the brand, you may want to consider CLS or CLK classes. Driving this vehicle is a joy, but certainly it is what it is, driving a performance car that sacrifices comfort for performance."

A wonderful sports car

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"I have owned my 1999 SL500 for over a year with the only one problem, a speaker in the door went out, other than that no other failures at all. With the hard top on it is a little squeaky when driving on bumpy roads. As for the interior the vinyl on the windshield pillars is starting to come unglued near the bottom, but I was quouted $150 at my local upholstery shop to fix this problem. Other than these two complaints this is the best sports car I have ever owned. It handles like a dream and plenty of power. With the top down and windscreen up you can drive at 100 MPH+ and hardly notice. This car was a bargain at 20K and in like new condition, once you drive an SL500 all other cars fail in comparison, you will be hooked once you take it out on the highway and let loose with the speed and handling. I absolutely love this car with its handling, looks, and reliability, this is a car worth owning if you enjoy sports cars and want to enjoy a car someone else spent around 100K and you can now own for around 20K. A bargain indeed and for a car that is not only fun, but reliable as well."

Great fun in droptop style

By on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"The more you drive, the more you love. Not as sporty as some but a blast to drive as a pure touring car. Corners flat, runs fast, sounds great. A thrill everytime you touch the accelerator."

Easy to maintain...solid vehicle

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Formerly owned a 95 SL500 (actually wife's). I agree with everything posted previously. I felt bad for the guy quoted $2300-$7000 to get the top hydroelectric repairs performed. The leaky top cyclinders can be purchased for $150 apiece and replaced in the comfort of your own garage in about an hour!!! A phillips screwdriver and an allen wrench set is all you need! I'm not a Mercedes mechanic, but I performed most all of the necessary work myself. Probably the cheapest-to-repair MB I've ever owned! Looking at a 96 SL500 for my kid...just test driving it brings back memories!"

Power/Styling/Convertable Comfort in one Package

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I've owned my '94 SL500 for 5 years, with relatively minor repairs, most due to some neglect by prior owner. MB Dealer's service & repairs are pricey, but that's one of the MB owner's conditions of ownership. Car is a rocket when you put pedal to metal at any speed.... corner's & hugs road at high speeds with remarkbly flat "lean" (regardless of it's weight). It doesn't drive like a BMW, but is smoother and more sedate... low road noise, smoother over the bumps. Plenty of luggage space, boot space (behind front seats) for 2 on a trip. Creature comforts galore, plenty of head and leg room for both driver and passenger (I'm 6'1"). Get's ~24 - 25 mpg on highway, 17 mpg in-town driving without being lead-footed accelerating from stops. Turning circle is one of MB's best features... tighter than a Civic's for example, so easy maneuverability in tight spaces. Sound system is terrific... Hard or softtop. With hardtop on you can't tell it's a convertable (noise-wise). With top down, using the optional windscreen attached and up, & window's up there's nearly no wind disturbance - wife's hair doesn't get mussed) ."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals