2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

9.3

Based on 66 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, design and loaded with technology"

Cons: "Rear seat package makes for a small trunk capacity"

"I bought this car 2 months ago. It is the Edition 1 with designo paint. The brakes squealed first thing in the morning however that seems to have gone away. Without question Mercedes has hit the jackpot with this car. It is an absolute dream in design and drive. It is a pleasure to drive. We have the aromatic system in it and we thought that we wouldn't use it but it is really nice. We have the rear seat package which takes away from the trunk space. The technology will blow your mind. I'm still learning. The navigation screen is outstanding. If you are looking for the ultimate car give it a shot."

Incredible machine

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Fair price for the value and service."

Cons: "I have nothing to complain about."

"This automobile is massive inside with all the creature comforts one could want. It has a tremendous amount of power, handles well and is practically unstoppable in the snow. It is my third S Class Mercedes. I would buy another in a flash."

Sheer perfection.

By on Friday, March 7, 2014

Pros: "Excellent ride, passenger space, speed, & style."

"After driving many very fine Jaguar XJs since 1996, I leased a 2010 S400 Hybrid for less money per month despite having an MSRP $20,000 higher. It was replaced last year with my 2013 S550. There is nothing to complain of and nothing to change. The ride is excellent, there is plenty of passenger space and the materials are impeccable. The engine's 429hp is exceptional yet 25-30mpg on the highway are the norm. I have driven the car now for 1 year and at its first annual oil change, there were no needed warranty repairs, adjustments or problems to correct."

absolute best vehicle ever owned.

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "has no competitor in my mind."

Cons: "just too much vehicle for my line of work."

"I have never owned a better vehicle. it stands out from the 7 BMW, the Lexus LS460L, or any other vehicle I've ever owned. It really is an awesome vehicle from a handling and comfort point of view. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is seeking the utmost in quality, and its appearance stands out in any crowd."

Nicest Vehicle I have ever driven

By on Monday, June 13, 2016

Pros: "superb automobile, now relatively inexpensive,"

Cons: "2007 technology, expensive to maintain"

"I bought this car with 73,000 miles from a Mercedes dealership in February of 2012. It had been ridden hard and poorly maintained. I have repaired, replaced or refurbished everything that needed work, including work recommended by non-mandatory manufacturer TSB's. Repairs and maintenance are quite expensive. I budget about $3000 per year for upkeep and use a qualified independent mechanic to control the cost and quality of repairs. The dealership is astronomically pricey and not very competent except for trivial repairs. I follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. As a result, the car continues to be reliable. A bluetooth OBD-II scanner installed in the automobile enables me to monitor, record and compare engine performance periodically. The car is comfortable and effortlessly rewarding to drive. I use it for solo trips of up to 9 hours per day as well as for my short (2.4 mile) daily commute. Long trips are not at all tiring largely because of the adaptive cruise control and the excellent seats. Gas mileage is only fair. My average mileage over 54,000 miles has been 17.6 mpg. EPA combined mileage is 16 mpg. My trip mileage is about 26 mpg Acceleration is awe inspiring. Handling is excellent and tight. All wheel drive (4Matic) is very good in upstate New York winters. The car was very technologically advanced at its debut, but its dashboard software is dated now by comparison with my wife's 2015 luxury SUV. The mechanical engineering and performance of the normally aspirated 382 horsepower, 5.5 liter M273 engine and the 7-speed automatic transmission is far superior to the newer SUV, however. The Airmatic suspension is the least reliable major system in the car, and I have had to replace both the front and rear level detection systems. The original air shocks are still intact, but the compressor and the compressor relay were replaced prior to my purchase at about 45,000 miles. The original camshaft position sensor design was defective on this car, and all four have been replaced. I replaced one of them at about 80,000 miles. The other three failed and were replaced prior to my purchase. The transmission fluid had not been replaced prior to my purchase even though the manufacturer recommends replacement every 40,000 mile, but no apparent damage occurred to the transmission. The car will easily cruise at over 100 mph and feel and sound like it is traveling at half that speed. Oil consumption is within expected limits. This by now venerable chariot is a lot more comfortable and rewarding to drive than any of the other luxury vehicles I have owned or driven. I expect to replace it with the next model S550 if that model is self-driving. I would recommend the 2007 to any aficionado of beautiful automobiles who has the money and the interest to maintain it in top condition. It will reward that kind of owner with exhilarating and reliable service."