2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 103 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best S class ever

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Looks, reliability, fuel economy, comfort"

Cons: "none."

"This is my 4th S Class and 12th MB in 38 years of owning Mercedes and this is by far the best riding and best looking. I drive 40k/year, 95% on the hwy and I can easily go 6 hours or more and still feel fresh when I get to my destination. Fuel economy has gotten better as the car ages averaging 28+ on the hwy. Even at 270,000 miles the car still looks great and has all the power it had when new. Engine and transmission are original and aside from normal wear parts has never needed major work."

A fantastic apex automobile

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Quality, technology, driving dynamics, features"

Cons: "MPG, dated navigation system"

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

"I never thought I would buy a Mercedes, let alone an S Class, but I found this 2002 last year with only 6700 miles on it and complete A and B services done 100 and 300 miles earlier (the Mercedes dealer obviously took advantage of the 80 year old widow that owned it). I have put 16K miles on it in the last year and I now understand why people spend $100K for these superb sedans. Even though it was built 11 years ago, it bristles with technology that has only begun to become available on lesser cars in the last few years. The fit and finish is impeccable, the materials are rich and beautifully crafted and the quality is everywhere. I have always found the 1999 - 2006 S class one of the most elegant and understated looking executive sedans out there, and I like the styling better than the 2007 and later. I am fond of telling people that it is the best handling living room I've ever driven. I live on the rugged north coast of California, so my "driveway" to get to the SF Bay Area for business is 60 miles of Highway 1. With the AMG Sport package and Active Body Control it is amazing how well this 4600 lb sedan hustles through the turns. Effortless acceleration, superb braking and all this while I am being coddled by heated or cooled seats with a back massage. The Distronic cruise control is amazing, I am so spoiled by it now I forget I don't have it in my other cars. The only feature that I really don't care for is the Navigation. Definitely showing its age, requires way too much clicking and twirling and it is not intuitive. On the other hand, the COMAND system that allows me to use voice commands for the sound system is great. I spent 5 hours the night I bought it reading the owner's manual and all the other manuals for the various features. Talk about an incredibly engineered and designed car! The number of small, thoughtful features just amazed me and I am now so completely spoiled by this car that I can't see much chance of ever getting something nicer. I expect this car to last for 300K miles with good care and still be as solid as a bank vault. One of the other downsides to the car to other buyers is the resale. I only paid $17,600 for what was originally a $101K car and I see that S Classes seem to be available cheap after about 6 years, although my suspicion is that it is because of maintenance costs as the mileage mounts. I don't care about that since I plan to keep the car for a very long time. I have put new tires on it ($1100 for Michelin Pilot Sports) and paid $425 for a B Service and Brake Fluid flush and replacement. Great service by the dealer, I can go to any Mercedes dealer anytime and have the car washed for free. My next scheduled service isn't for 10K miles since the last one, I consider that to be a plus since my other cars all ask for oil changes at @7500 miles. I have become a huge Mercedes fan after living with and thoroughly enjoying this beautiful piece of German engineering and design for a year. I look forward to many more."

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

Great value if purchased as a lease return

By on Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, safe, fast. On multiple hour trips this car keeps you fresh"

Cons: "few. Parts are more costly than a run of the mill car - but they last longer."

"I have had this car for car for 6 years and it has provided good value, first class comfort, amazing handling, plenty of power, and it keeps me safe. If I had to use the local Mercedes dealership to maintain the car, my rating would certainly be lower. The car is great when you have someone good maintaining it, or rather not screwing it up. The local Mercedes dealership garage would likely sabotage anything they get their hands on and then charge you an arm and a leg. They are clueless and suggest repairs that my trusted mechanic laughs about. My S430 runs like a top and has only had one flaw - something (a compressor?) in the emission system that only affects exhaust quality if it does not work. I have replaced a suspension pump, brake pads and rotors, spark plugs, battery, filters and tires - all ordinary stuff for a 9 year old car, a car that drives like it was new. These cars depreciate in their first few years, but if you buy a good used one, you get an amazing car for the same price as a cheap new car. My S430 has proved itself a value, even if it stopped working tomorrow. But I am sure, that with a honest and capable mechanic doing preventative maintenance, this car will drive like new for years to come."

very expensive for maintenance

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "handling style comfort durability"

Cons: "overall high cost to maintain"

"Have had the S55 for 10 years---terrific car fast great handling only real downside is that it's a very high maintenance car--parts are really high/limited production and due to the complex engineering--labor is also high---I have followed the MBZ guide and for normal maintenance plus things that just break I have averaged about $4500 a year in expenses----my brother has one and he has averaged about $5700 a year so have your budget set for repairs--for example the front ABS shock went bad last month $2800 to repair versus probably $450 for a Camry--if you can't set that aside you will be very soory/and shouldn't buy a S55"

So it could have been cuter.

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, prestigous in nature"

Cons: "thirsty for high-dollar fuel, not a head-turner"

"What a fun car to drive in this size class! It's roomy enough for all the folks you really want in the car and nimble enough to be treated like a sports car with all five of them in there."

Fantastic car, and a real joy to drive

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Speed, comfort, amenities"

Cons: "Price, costly repairs"

"One word sums up this car, AMAZING. Only problem with it is the price new. Wait a few years and pick up a used one to truly enjoy this one of a kind car. Elegance, style, quality and size, this one has it all. On a side note, its quicker than a vette to boot. Make sure to have a warranty, as repairs can be VERY costly."

Love it

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"I have owned two 7 series BMW's in the past and this is my second S430 and this time I got one with the DVD and the 4matic drive train. Having lived in cold weather climates, the 4matic is perfect! And the DVD allows for additional entertainment. Don't let mileage scare you away from one of these...because you really don't start to break it in until you reach 100,000 miles!"

Love this car

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "good on gas to be a V8, smooth ride"

Cons: "navigation system is outdated"

"Even though this car is almost ten years old, it still looks good. It handles way better than you would think a used car with 146,000 miles should. I love how much leg room it has on the back seat. The trunk is roomy and it has been wonderful on long trips. This has been an excellen!!!!!!!!! car."

Comfort, class, and performance

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and performance"

Cons: "Cost of maintenance"

"Got this car used 2 years ago and it's handling, comfort and responsiveness are unmatched. I am in the process of shopping for a new vehicle and am unable to find one that compares - the sole reason I'm looking is due to the only downfall of this vehicle, which is the cost of maintenance. All in all, it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned."

Lost value

By on Monday, January 3, 2011

"Right after extended warrantee concluded, $2K - $3k has been spent every 6 months to keep her up and the value kept plumetting. Plus, Mercedes offers an insulting trade-in, even though she was always factory maintained. Advice, lease a KIA every 3 years. The merc's looks and comfort start to dwindle as she gets older and you consider the costs which continue to mount and the vehicle becomes value-less."

Very nice riding handling car. Very dependable.

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, dependability"

Cons: "parts expensive at dealer vs independent eshop"

"Second owner for last 7 years. Looks and drives well. Major expense was for air shock and ac compressor. However, car has 233,000 miles with solid motor and trans as well as beautiful interior and riding comfort."

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great looking, fun to drive, built like a tank."

Cons: "Gas mileage and need a good radar detector"

"I purchase this car used with 50K miles. Now have 98k. I have to say this car has been impressive in every respect except fuel mileage. It is powerful and quick and handles remarkably well for a car this size. With the ABC sport mode active it is virtually impossible for the car to lose grip on tight corners at high speeds. The luxuries and amenities are incredible. Seating is super comfortable and back seat leg room is like a limo. There are so many luxuries incorporated into this car that it take two volumes of instructions just to cover them all. This car is super quiet and a blast to drive on long trips. This car was built for the autobahn and was made to go fast and be safe. Its a blast to drive! The only down side is the gas mileage but what do you expect in a car of this size and power? Also, this car was built to last. Repairs have been modest although one has to find a good independent Mercedes mechanic otherwise the dealerships will crucify you. Never-the-less this is one great car which will likely become a classic. I would highly recommend this car."

Fully loaded S430. Over $71,000 new. Runs strong,

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "20 mpg in town and 26-27 on highway"

Cons: "drivers seat starting to show wear."

"Fully loaded S430. Over $71,000 new. Runs strong, new tires, battery and always serviced on time and immaculate. Very plush Mercedes ride"

Superbly performing and comfortable touring car

By on Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pros: "Power, handling, comfort, reliability."

Cons: "None, so far."

"More creature comforts than nearly any other car. Comfortable, quiet, very reliable, great handling and brakes, effortless power. Like your tunes? Try the 10 speaker Bose stereo system - marvelous! In over 220,000 miles, a very small piece of rubber trim came loose. Routine maintenance of lube, brakes, tires, interior and finish have been the only money invested in the car. Looks and performs like new. Worth every penny."

S 600 is the best vehicle ever I personally own

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "super charge, top confort and luxery"

"The Rock is a presidential car no has competition with his powerful motor 12 pistons in V twin turbo.....from 0 to 80 miles per hour in only 10 seconds....no comparisons"

ONE OF THE BEST VEHICLES I OWNED

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pros: "GREAT CAR"

Cons: "REPAIRS ARE HIGH BUT DONE RIGHT AT MERCEDES DEALER"

"I GET 21 MPG IN THE CITY AND 28 TO 31 ON THE OPEN ROAD I CANT SAY ENOUGHT GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS CAR YOU TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT TAKES CARE OF YOU I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES EVEN THO THEY TELL ME I DONT HAVE TO KEEP UP ON EVERY THING AND MY CAR RUNS LIKE NEW ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY I PAYED AND THEN SOME I GOT IT ALL BACK AS ITS GOING ON 13 YEARS YOUNG AND STILL LOOKS NEW"

5th S class I hv had

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Drive it, ride in or want the best benz here it is"

Cons: "only thing would be it is not a 2012 S Class"

Nothing like an S Class always in style and a classic power, handling

"I have enjoyed this loaded S class the extra features such as ABC and upgraded leather and wood were just extra's on a beautiful car. I have always had a car with a warranty bought an extended warranty on this Benz. For peace of mind honestly I have not had any major things that I really needed the warranty. My suggestion would be make sure that the S Class you are looking at has had the ABC"

Nothing like an S Class always in style and a classic power, handling

LOTS OF INTERIOR ROOM; SMOOTH RIDE; COMFORTABLE

By on Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pros: "Safe built car."

Cons: "repair cost"

"The S500 has a very smooth ride. It drives like a dream and handles great! Looking from the outside of the car fools you about the interior room. The interior provides you with plenty of leg room in the front and back seats. Very comfortable, especially on trips. The only negative comment I have is the expense when something breaks. I had always taken my car back to the dealership but I have found a local repair shop that works only on Mercedes and that saves on cost."

This car is terribly unreliable.

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "NIce, comfortable, roomy and elegant car."

Cons: "Diverse electrical problems requiring specialists."

"Way too many electrical and mechanical problems. My warranty expired and I am paying more for repairs than banknote. Everything is electronic thus requiring specialists who spend time troubleshooting and repairing rather than maintaining my car. At only 95k mi I have spent well over $14,000 in repairs alone, needless to say routine maintenance as well."

AMAZING

By on Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, Powerful, Safe, and efficient."

Cons: "The glue holding the buttons wears out after long"

"My dad passed this on to me for my 16th birthday, and its been 15 years since he's bought it and it has over 175,000 miles. This car is amazing quality, and its sleek and comfortable. I love it, and it continues to run like it's brand new. Mercedes engineers sure know what they're doing"

GORGEOUS CAR, AND STILL FUN TO DRIVE AND LOOK AT!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Superior handling and ride, just a great!"

Cons: "Resale value"

"I purchased my White with tan interior S430 with the Sports option, premium wheels, with Parktronic, keyless entry, heated"

stay away

By on Monday, December 6, 2010

"this was the first mecedes we owned and the last. Started out good then repairs all the time, and not inexpensive ones and then the rust started and within 8 months every 1/4 pannel fender and trunk has rust. Bad choice of vehicles."

They are the best

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "Great price the best to diversos"

"Amg are the Best driving machine ever build"

best of best

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, driving safe audio system"

Cons: "navigation should be more user friendly."

"This is exactly what a man expect from a car. It gives both luxury and secure drive experience. I strongly suggest this car for the one who wants to feel life :)"

Had a Lexus before my S350 no comparison

By on Thursday, February 17, 2011

"This car has been great. No major problems in the two years I've owned it. It is comfortible but could use a little more leg room in the front and back. Lacks a few simple comforts such as a quality drink holder and driver storage areas. The car rides very smooth and quiet. I've owned four Mercedes over the years and this is number 1 I did have a problem with the sattelite radio but Mercedes finaly found the problem and fixed it. I get compliments on the car almost evrytime I hit the road. Plenty of power. Not great in the winter RWD but I grew up in cars that only had RWD. I love this car!"