• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 99 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Benz's rock folks. S500 is an incredible machine.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "sweet ride"

Cons: "pricey when things go sideways"

"The S500 is a dream car to drive locally or cross country. Raw power coupled with shear comfort sets the S500 apart from others. Really like the body style of my 2000 model over the 2012/13 models. Just terrific suspension and the Bose sound system fit perfectly for cruising up Pacific Coast Highway outside Santa Barbara. Really easy to blow people off the road on the interstate."

S 600 is the best vehicle ever I personally own

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "super charge, top confort and luxery"

"The Rock is a presidential car no has competition with his powerful motor 12 pistons in V twin turbo.....from 0 to 80 miles per hour in only 10 seconds....no comparisons"

A good car which lacks the quality it entitled

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"I bought is car second hand and paid $7,436 in Jan 2013. It has done 165,000km and in very good condition. I think the ex-owners had looked after it very meticulously. It has a greyish colour body and blueish colour interior. Fully optioned to the extent that it has a fridge, electric trunk lid and a TV + in-car mobile phone. I have spent some money to repair it, the key ones being: O2 sensors, MAF, oil changes (engine + transmission), water host and recently oil leak at the front of engine. Considering a 11 years old car,it is not bad. However, like other reviews had mentioned, it has a flimsy build in the passenger compartment and also give an impression that very plastic feel. Things break easily. Compared to a BMW 7 series E38 I drove, this one even has water stains sipping into the window glass from the top. I feel a bit disappointed with the quality but then for a well maintained car which worth $90+K when new, I think it is still worth the money as long as the maintenance is not catching up with me in a big way... soon."

Awesome best highway car ever

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Best ride and comfort with all accessories"

"I have owned Mercedes,BMW,porsche ,Audi etc. Hands down this is the best of the bunch."

Love this car!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Quality, drive, comfortable, reliable, beautiful"

"Quality in all aspects, very comfortable - Lots of leg room in front and back, superb drive with total control and braking, we love everything about this car. We have maintained (oil, check-ups, etc) according to MB's recommendations and expect this car to go for 300K miles or more. Another good point for these cars is that MB does not alter the style dramatically year to year so even after several years, they are not "dated"."

The high mark in German engineering

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Ride, handling, low key looks, quickness"

Cons: "Weak cup holder, gas mileage, 2 tire choices"

"I bought a 2004 AMG 55 8 months ago with 64,000 miles. To be honest, I was expecting something expensive to pop up shortly after purchase, because this is what happened when I bought a used BMW 740il, as well as when I purchased a used 911 cabriolet. I expect to spend about $2000.00 to $2500.00 when I purchase a used German vehicle. It's just the nature of beast in my eyes. But after 8 months and 11,000 miles, I haven't spent a nickel on this car yet beyond gas. I drove it from TX to Phoenix and back 2 days after I bought it. I always knew I would eventually get an 04 to an 06, because the 07 looks horrible to me and I am throughly pleased with this car. I am due for it's Service B soon and it will need new ball joints, but the way I drive it, yeah, I'm not surprised. I don't see me ever getting rid of it minus it getting totalled in an accident. I can never go back to a BMW now and I used to be a die hard Bimmer lover. I am a MB man now."

This car is terribly unreliable.

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "NIce, comfortable, roomy and elegant car."

Cons: "Diverse electrical problems requiring specialists."

"Way too many electrical and mechanical problems. My warranty expired and I am paying more for repairs than banknote. Everything is electronic thus requiring specialists who spend time troubleshooting and repairing rather than maintaining my car. At only 95k mi I have spent well over $14,000 in repairs alone, needless to say routine maintenance as well."

ONE OF THE BEST VEHICLES I OWNED

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "GREAT CAR"

Cons: "REPAIRS ARE HIGH BUT DONE RIGHT AT MERCEDES DEALER"

"I GET 21 MPG IN THE CITY AND 28 TO 31 ON THE OPEN ROAD I CANT SAY ENOUGHT GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS CAR YOU TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT TAKES CARE OF YOU I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES EVEN THO THEY TELL ME I DONT HAVE TO KEEP UP ON EVERY THING AND MY CAR RUNS LIKE NEW ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY I PAYED AND THEN SOME I GOT IT ALL BACK AS ITS GOING ON 13 YEARS YOUNG AND STILL LOOKS NEW"

too expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reason: costly repairs expensive parts

Pros: "Low price for a used one"

"Here is my prob with this car... i brought one used with 130k on it. Everytime there was a prob I had to pay 200.00 just for the shop to look at it.. The parts were really expensive and if it wasn't for the junk yard i would've been in trouble. The values are so low on this car now anybody can buy one. It's a cool car just buy it with low miles. My friend has one too, and we both had problems with the air suspension,electrical problems, among other issues."

Rock Solid

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, acceleration and overall ride."

Cons: "Cost of repairs."

"Best car I've owned and/or driven. Bought it used in 2011. Aside from an electrical issue w/ the battery, and automatic trunk, this car has been perfect. Acceleration, ride and comfort are best in class. Need to pass on the highway, 60mph to 80 with no hesitation or downshift. Smooth. Tons of interior room (i'm 6'4"), even w/ 3 kids in rear. 4-matic performs fine in snow, even w/ performance tires."