2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 99 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best car I've owned but watch repair cost.

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, the seats are comfortable on long trips. Car still looks like showroom."

Cons: "Cost of dealer repairs. Naviagation system is a pain to use."

"Bought this car 4 years ago with 50k on the clock....now have 112K. Great Ride, Quiet and quality. Dealer cost repair can be expensive. If you are have any mechanical skills you can save a small fortune. Only had 3 issues with this car. Catalytic Converter was warrantied by Mercedes for 8 years...failed after 8 year 2 months. Mercedes Dealer wanted $1200 to repair..Mercedes does not manufacture converters, took it to a muffler shop...replaced for $250. Dash Display was warrantied by Mercedes for 10 years....failed after 10 years 2 months. Dealer wanted $950 for the display and 128 Labor to fix, all replacement display units are re-manufactured. Located a re-manufacturer in Mass. Took less than 30 sec to remove display...shipped unit to them, it was returned in 3 days. Cost of repair $165 included free shipping. Took 15 seconds to reinstall. Electric cooling fan started making noise at 110K. Dealer wanted $1100 to $1200 to fix($750 to 900 for the part)...located a new fan assembly online for $349 including shipping...ordered and had it the next day. Three bolts to remove old unit. Total of 10 minutes.."

Best S class ever

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Looks, reliability, fuel economy, comfort"

Cons: "none."

"This is my 4th S Class and 12th MB in 38 years of owning Mercedes and this is by far the best riding and best looking. I drive 40k/year, 95% on the hwy and I can easily go 6 hours or more and still feel fresh when I get to my destination. Fuel economy has gotten better as the car ages averaging 28+ on the hwy. Even at 270,000 miles the car still looks great and has all the power it had when new. Engine and transmission are original and aside from normal wear parts has never needed major work."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "good on gas to be a V8, smooth ride"

Cons: "navigation system is outdated"

"Even though this car is almost ten years old, it still looks good. It handles way better than you would think a used car with 146,000 miles should. I love how much leg room it has on the back seat. The trunk is roomy and it has been wonderful on long trips. This has been an excellen!!!!!!!!! car."

Comfort, class, and performance

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and performance"

Cons: "Cost of maintenance"

"Got this car used 2 years ago and it's handling, comfort and responsiveness are unmatched. I am in the process of shopping for a new vehicle and am unable to find one that compares - the sole reason I'm looking is due to the only downfall of this vehicle, which is the cost of maintenance. All in all, it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned."

Lost value

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"Right after extended warrantee concluded, $2K - $3k has been spent every 6 months to keep her up and the value kept plumetting. Plus, Mercedes offers an insulting trade-in, even though she was always factory maintained. Advice, lease a KIA every 3 years. The merc's looks and comfort start to dwindle as she gets older and you consider the costs which continue to mount and the vehicle becomes value-less."

Very nice riding handling car. Very dependable.

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, dependability"

Cons: "parts expensive at dealer vs independent eshop"

"Second owner for last 7 years. Looks and drives well. Major expense was for air shock and ac compressor. However, car has 233,000 miles with solid motor and trans as well as beautiful interior and riding comfort."

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great looking, fun to drive, built like a tank."

Cons: "Gas mileage and need a good radar detector"

"I purchase this car used with 50K miles. Now have 98k. I have to say this car has been impressive in every respect except fuel mileage. It is powerful and quick and handles remarkably well for a car this size. With the ABC sport mode active it is virtually impossible for the car to lose grip on tight corners at high speeds. The luxuries and amenities are incredible. Seating is super comfortable and back seat leg room is like a limo. There are so many luxuries incorporated into this car that it take two volumes of instructions just to cover them all. This car is super quiet and a blast to drive on long trips. This car was built for the autobahn and was made to go fast and be safe. Its a blast to drive! The only down side is the gas mileage but what do you expect in a car of this size and power? Also, this car was built to last. Repairs have been modest although one has to find a good independent Mercedes mechanic otherwise the dealerships will crucify you. Never-the-less this is one great car which will likely become a classic. I would highly recommend this car."

stay away

By on Monday, December 06, 2010

"this was the first mecedes we owned and the last. Started out good then repairs all the time, and not inexpensive ones and then the rust started and within 8 months every 1/4 pannel fender and trunk has rust. Bad choice of vehicles."

Great car

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful for long drives"

"I love this car. Best car I have ever owned. It is like driving around in your living room. It is smooth, comfortable, roomy, quiet, and I feel safe."

Outstanding raod car.

By on Sunday, December 25, 2011

Pros: "Outstanding integration of Mercedes engineering."

Cons: "none, I knew what I wanted in a car."

2005 S430 V

"I have owned this for many years and this 2005 S430 has proven to be an outstanding road car. Travel from the the West Coast to the East Coast I adveraged 27 mpg mixed driving. I save the numbers and ran the math after 3,700 mile trips of mixed driving and the average was always 27 MPG. This car runs like the 280 SE I had. Point it down the road and all of the engineering comes into play. The integration of the engineering is outstanding. I found a 2006 S430 4matic and shipped it to my brother in South Carolina. He told me that he would not purchase another car unless it was a Mercedes S Class. I like preventive maintenance so at 50,000 miles I replace the brakes on both axles, replaced the transmission fulid, the differential oil, the radiator fluid, new fuel filter, new transmission fliter, rocker panels that run under the doors, new battery, the best Michelin tires I can place on this car (including spare) and the B Service. I always ask for an oil sample and send it to the Blackstone Labs for oil analysis. The oil reports have always come back as perfect. My main area of driving is in the high altitude deserts of Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. I have my car detailed twice a year at the Mercedes. I use to commute to work at an average of 180 miles per day. This car has not diappointed me. I expected the best in engineering and the integration of that engineering and this car continues to provide that satisfaction."

2005 S430 V

Benz's rock folks. S500 is an incredible machine.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "sweet ride"

Cons: "pricey when things go sideways"

"The S500 is a dream car to drive locally or cross country. Raw power coupled with shear comfort sets the S500 apart from others. Really like the body style of my 2000 model over the 2012/13 models. Just terrific suspension and the Bose sound system fit perfectly for cruising up Pacific Coast Highway outside Santa Barbara. Really easy to blow people off the road on the interstate."

S 600 is the best vehicle ever I personally own

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "super charge, top confort and luxery"

"The Rock is a presidential car no has competition with his powerful motor 12 pistons in V twin turbo.....from 0 to 80 miles per hour in only 10 seconds....no comparisons"

A good car which lacks the quality it entitled

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"I bought is car second hand and paid $7,436 in Jan 2013. It has done 165,000km and in very good condition. I think the ex-owners had looked after it very meticulously. It has a greyish colour body and blueish colour interior. Fully optioned to the extent that it has a fridge, electric trunk lid and a TV + in-car mobile phone. I have spent some money to repair it, the key ones being: O2 sensors, MAF, oil changes (engine + transmission), water host and recently oil leak at the front of engine. Considering a 11 years old car,it is not bad. However, like other reviews had mentioned, it has a flimsy build in the passenger compartment and also give an impression that very plastic feel. Things break easily. Compared to a BMW 7 series E38 I drove, this one even has water stains sipping into the window glass from the top. I feel a bit disappointed with the quality but then for a well maintained car which worth $90+K when new, I think it is still worth the money as long as the maintenance is not catching up with me in a big way... soon."

Awesome best highway car ever

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Best ride and comfort with all accessories"

"I have owned Mercedes,BMW,porsche ,Audi etc. Hands down this is the best of the bunch."

Love this car!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Quality, drive, comfortable, reliable, beautiful"

"Quality in all aspects, very comfortable - Lots of leg room in front and back, superb drive with total control and braking, we love everything about this car. We have maintained (oil, check-ups, etc) according to MB's recommendations and expect this car to go for 300K miles or more. Another good point for these cars is that MB does not alter the style dramatically year to year so even after several years, they are not "dated"."

The high mark in German engineering

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Ride, handling, low key looks, quickness"

Cons: "Weak cup holder, gas mileage, 2 tire choices"

"I bought a 2004 AMG 55 8 months ago with 64,000 miles. To be honest, I was expecting something expensive to pop up shortly after purchase, because this is what happened when I bought a used BMW 740il, as well as when I purchased a used 911 cabriolet. I expect to spend about $2000.00 to $2500.00 when I purchase a used German vehicle. It's just the nature of beast in my eyes. But after 8 months and 11,000 miles, I haven't spent a nickel on this car yet beyond gas. I drove it from TX to Phoenix and back 2 days after I bought it. I always knew I would eventually get an 04 to an 06, because the 07 looks horrible to me and I am throughly pleased with this car. I am due for it's Service B soon and it will need new ball joints, but the way I drive it, yeah, I'm not surprised. I don't see me ever getting rid of it minus it getting totalled in an accident. I can never go back to a BMW now and I used to be a die hard Bimmer lover. I am a MB man now."

This car is terribly unreliable.

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "NIce, comfortable, roomy and elegant car."

Cons: "Diverse electrical problems requiring specialists."

"Way too many electrical and mechanical problems. My warranty expired and I am paying more for repairs than banknote. Everything is electronic thus requiring specialists who spend time troubleshooting and repairing rather than maintaining my car. At only 95k mi I have spent well over $14,000 in repairs alone, needless to say routine maintenance as well."

ONE OF THE BEST VEHICLES I OWNED

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "GREAT CAR"

Cons: "REPAIRS ARE HIGH BUT DONE RIGHT AT MERCEDES DEALER"

"I GET 21 MPG IN THE CITY AND 28 TO 31 ON THE OPEN ROAD I CANT SAY ENOUGHT GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS CAR YOU TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT TAKES CARE OF YOU I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES EVEN THO THEY TELL ME I DONT HAVE TO KEEP UP ON EVERY THING AND MY CAR RUNS LIKE NEW ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY I PAYED AND THEN SOME I GOT IT ALL BACK AS ITS GOING ON 13 YEARS YOUNG AND STILL LOOKS NEW"

too expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reason: costly repairs expensive parts

Pros: "Low price for a used one"

"Here is my prob with this car... i brought one used with 130k on it. Everytime there was a prob I had to pay 200.00 just for the shop to look at it.. The parts were really expensive and if it wasn't for the junk yard i would've been in trouble. The values are so low on this car now anybody can buy one. It's a cool car just buy it with low miles. My friend has one too, and we both had problems with the air suspension,electrical problems, among other issues."

Rock Solid

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, acceleration and overall ride."

Cons: "Cost of repairs."

"Best car I've owned and/or driven. Bought it used in 2011. Aside from an electrical issue w/ the battery, and automatic trunk, this car has been perfect. Acceleration, ride and comfort are best in class. Need to pass on the highway, 60mph to 80 with no hesitation or downshift. Smooth. Tons of interior room (i'm 6'4"), even w/ 3 kids in rear. 4-matic performs fine in snow, even w/ performance tires."

I've loved this car!

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Nice, solid, heavy car. Drives smooth and quiet"

Cons: "Maintenance Cost!"

"Nice, solid car with plenty of room. Has been a delight to own except for when needing maintenace. Every time you take it in it's about $2000 in repairs. If you can get past that, it drives beautifully!"

An excellent car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"I have owned this vehicle for three years without mechanical issues of any kind."

By on Saturday, February 19, 2011

s 500

By on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

"bought beinz used its been a great car,faster then my lexus i had. no issues i had to replace a sensor 2years ago cost me 150 dollars.very smooth ride plus very fast get one its a dream ride."

Great road car

By on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Amazing power combined with extreme comfort. This is a great choice for long road trips. The high torque makes very respectable mileage at internatate speeds. Ample power for quick passing and quite nimble for such a large 4 door sedan. Dynamic seats are extremely comfortable."