2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 99 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best car I've owned but watch repair cost.

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, the seats are comfortable on long trips. Car still looks like showroom."

Cons: "Cost of dealer repairs. Naviagation system is a pain to use."

"Bought this car 4 years ago with 50k on the clock....now have 112K. Great Ride, Quiet and quality. Dealer cost repair can be expensive. If you are have any mechanical skills you can save a small fortune. Only had 3 issues with this car. Catalytic Converter was warrantied by Mercedes for 8 years...failed after 8 year 2 months. Mercedes Dealer wanted $1200 to repair..Mercedes does not manufacture converters, took it to a muffler shop...replaced for $250. Dash Display was warrantied by Mercedes for 10 years....failed after 10 years 2 months. Dealer wanted $950 for the display and 128 Labor to fix, all replacement display units are re-manufactured. Located a re-manufacturer in Mass. Took less than 30 sec to remove display...shipped unit to them, it was returned in 3 days. Cost of repair $165 included free shipping. Took 15 seconds to reinstall. Electric cooling fan started making noise at 110K. Dealer wanted $1100 to $1200 to fix($750 to 900 for the part)...located a new fan assembly online for $349 including shipping...ordered and had it the next day. Three bolts to remove old unit. Total of 10 minutes.."

Best S class ever

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Looks, reliability, fuel economy, comfort"

Cons: "none."

"This is my 4th S Class and 12th MB in 38 years of owning Mercedes and this is by far the best riding and best looking. I drive 40k/year, 95% on the hwy and I can easily go 6 hours or more and still feel fresh when I get to my destination. Fuel economy has gotten better as the car ages averaging 28+ on the hwy. Even at 270,000 miles the car still looks great and has all the power it had when new. Engine and transmission are original and aside from normal wear parts has never needed major work."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "good on gas to be a V8, smooth ride"

Cons: "navigation system is outdated"

"Even though this car is almost ten years old, it still looks good. It handles way better than you would think a used car with 146,000 miles should. I love how much leg room it has on the back seat. The trunk is roomy and it has been wonderful on long trips. This has been an excellen!!!!!!!!! car."

Comfort, class, and performance

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and performance"

Cons: "Cost of maintenance"

"Got this car used 2 years ago and it's handling, comfort and responsiveness are unmatched. I am in the process of shopping for a new vehicle and am unable to find one that compares - the sole reason I'm looking is due to the only downfall of this vehicle, which is the cost of maintenance. All in all, it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned."

Lost value

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"Right after extended warrantee concluded, $2K - $3k has been spent every 6 months to keep her up and the value kept plumetting. Plus, Mercedes offers an insulting trade-in, even though she was always factory maintained. Advice, lease a KIA every 3 years. The merc's looks and comfort start to dwindle as she gets older and you consider the costs which continue to mount and the vehicle becomes value-less."

Very nice riding handling car. Very dependable.

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, dependability"

Cons: "parts expensive at dealer vs independent eshop"

"Second owner for last 7 years. Looks and drives well. Major expense was for air shock and ac compressor. However, car has 233,000 miles with solid motor and trans as well as beautiful interior and riding comfort."

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great looking, fun to drive, built like a tank."

Cons: "Gas mileage and need a good radar detector"

"I purchase this car used with 50K miles. Now have 98k. I have to say this car has been impressive in every respect except fuel mileage. It is powerful and quick and handles remarkably well for a car this size. With the ABC sport mode active it is virtually impossible for the car to lose grip on tight corners at high speeds. The luxuries and amenities are incredible. Seating is super comfortable and back seat leg room is like a limo. There are so many luxuries incorporated into this car that it take two volumes of instructions just to cover them all. This car is super quiet and a blast to drive on long trips. This car was built for the autobahn and was made to go fast and be safe. Its a blast to drive! The only down side is the gas mileage but what do you expect in a car of this size and power? Also, this car was built to last. Repairs have been modest although one has to find a good independent Mercedes mechanic otherwise the dealerships will crucify you. Never-the-less this is one great car which will likely become a classic. I would highly recommend this car."

stay away

By on Monday, December 06, 2010

"this was the first mecedes we owned and the last. Started out good then repairs all the time, and not inexpensive ones and then the rust started and within 8 months every 1/4 pannel fender and trunk has rust. Bad choice of vehicles."

Great car

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful for long drives"

"I love this car. Best car I have ever owned. It is like driving around in your living room. It is smooth, comfortable, roomy, quiet, and I feel safe."

Outstanding raod car.

By on Sunday, December 25, 2011

Pros: "Outstanding integration of Mercedes engineering."

Cons: "none, I knew what I wanted in a car."

2005 S430 V

"I have owned this for many years and this 2005 S430 has proven to be an outstanding road car. Travel from the the West Coast to the East Coast I adveraged 27 mpg mixed driving. I save the numbers and ran the math after 3,700 mile trips of mixed driving and the average was always 27 MPG. This car runs like the 280 SE I had. Point it down the road and all of the engineering comes into play. The integration of the engineering is outstanding. I found a 2006 S430 4matic and shipped it to my brother in South Carolina. He told me that he would not purchase another car unless it was a Mercedes S Class. I like preventive maintenance so at 50,000 miles I replace the brakes on both axles, replaced the transmission fulid, the differential oil, the radiator fluid, new fuel filter, new transmission fliter, rocker panels that run under the doors, new battery, the best Michelin tires I can place on this car (including spare) and the B Service. I always ask for an oil sample and send it to the Blackstone Labs for oil analysis. The oil reports have always come back as perfect. My main area of driving is in the high altitude deserts of Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. I have my car detailed twice a year at the Mercedes. I use to commute to work at an average of 180 miles per day. This car has not diappointed me. I expected the best in engineering and the integration of that engineering and this car continues to provide that satisfaction."

2005 S430 V