• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 98 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Love this car!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Quality, drive, comfortable, reliable, beautiful"

"Quality in all aspects, very comfortable - Lots of leg room in front and back, superb drive with total control and braking, we love everything about this car. We have maintained (oil, check-ups, etc) according to MB's recommendations and expect this car to go for 300K miles or more. Another good point for these cars is that MB does not alter the style dramatically year to year so even after several years, they are not "dated"."

The high mark in German engineering

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Ride, handling, low key looks, quickness"

Cons: "Weak cup holder, gas mileage, 2 tire choices"

"I bought a 2004 AMG 55 8 months ago with 64,000 miles. To be honest, I was expecting something expensive to pop up shortly after purchase, because this is what happened when I bought a used BMW 740il, as well as when I purchased a used 911 cabriolet. I expect to spend about $2000.00 to $2500.00 when I purchase a used German vehicle. It's just the nature of beast in my eyes. But after 8 months and 11,000 miles, I haven't spent a nickel on this car yet beyond gas. I drove it from TX to Phoenix and back 2 days after I bought it. I always knew I would eventually get an 04 to an 06, because the 07 looks horrible to me and I am throughly pleased with this car. I am due for it's Service B soon and it will need new ball joints, but the way I drive it, yeah, I'm not surprised. I don't see me ever getting rid of it minus it getting totalled in an accident. I can never go back to a BMW now and I used to be a die hard Bimmer lover. I am a MB man now."

This car is terribly unreliable.

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "NIce, comfortable, roomy and elegant car."

Cons: "Diverse electrical problems requiring specialists."

"Way too many electrical and mechanical problems. My warranty expired and I am paying more for repairs than banknote. Everything is electronic thus requiring specialists who spend time troubleshooting and repairing rather than maintaining my car. At only 95k mi I have spent well over $14,000 in repairs alone, needless to say routine maintenance as well."

ONE OF THE BEST VEHICLES I OWNED

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "GREAT CAR"

Cons: "REPAIRS ARE HIGH BUT DONE RIGHT AT MERCEDES DEALER"

"I GET 21 MPG IN THE CITY AND 28 TO 31 ON THE OPEN ROAD I CANT SAY ENOUGHT GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS CAR YOU TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT TAKES CARE OF YOU I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES EVEN THO THEY TELL ME I DONT HAVE TO KEEP UP ON EVERY THING AND MY CAR RUNS LIKE NEW ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY I PAYED AND THEN SOME I GOT IT ALL BACK AS ITS GOING ON 13 YEARS YOUNG AND STILL LOOKS NEW"

too expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reason: costly repairs expensive parts

Pros: "Low price for a used one"

"Here is my prob with this car... i brought one used with 130k on it. Everytime there was a prob I had to pay 200.00 just for the shop to look at it.. The parts were really expensive and if it wasn't for the junk yard i would've been in trouble. The values are so low on this car now anybody can buy one. It's a cool car just buy it with low miles. My friend has one too, and we both had problems with the air suspension,electrical problems, among other issues."