2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 99 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Seats are not comfortable for distance driving. It does not ride or handle like a full size BMW I previously owned. I would not make this my first choice again. Just a stable basic car!"

2001 S55 AMG

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"This is my third Benz and have found them to be of high quality, safe, and very comfortable. I was struck by the value with the S55 AMG. It's a car that is relatively low maintenance with the exception of the rear tires, my enthusiastic driving makes full use of the torque and horsepower available with this car. I use this as my everyday car and thoroughly enjoy the balance of performance and comfort. Doing 85mph at 2800rpm is a gentle example of the headroom under the hood. It's a great to travel with, readily accomodating 4-5 adults with lots of leg room in the back. Overall, I would encourage many to at the very least, take the S55 AMG for a test drive, it is an excellent combination of many captivating elements that will provide pleasure for many moons."

Wonderful vehicle

By on Friday, February 04, 2011

"The S-430 is a fabulous car. It's performance is terrific and drives more like a sports car than a larger saloon. It's powerful and holds the road like glue. I also found it to be very economical getting between 22 and 26 mpg depending on highway or city cycle. It is comfortable and luxurious. I have been very pleased with mine."

Best car I've owned but watch repair cost.

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, the seats are comfortable on long trips. Car still looks like showroom."

Cons: "Cost of dealer repairs. Naviagation system is a pain to use."

"Bought this car 4 years ago with 50k on the clock....now have 112K. Great Ride, Quiet and quality. Dealer cost repair can be expensive. If you are have any mechanical skills you can save a small fortune. Only had 3 issues with this car. Catalytic Converter was warrantied by Mercedes for 8 years...failed after 8 year 2 months. Mercedes Dealer wanted $1200 to repair..Mercedes does not manufacture converters, took it to a muffler shop...replaced for $250. Dash Display was warrantied by Mercedes for 10 years....failed after 10 years 2 months. Dealer wanted $950 for the display and 128 Labor to fix, all replacement display units are re-manufactured. Located a re-manufacturer in Mass. Took less than 30 sec to remove display...shipped unit to them, it was returned in 3 days. Cost of repair $165 included free shipping. Took 15 seconds to reinstall. Electric cooling fan started making noise at 110K. Dealer wanted $1100 to $1200 to fix($750 to 900 for the part)...located a new fan assembly online for $349 including shipping...ordered and had it the next day. Three bolts to remove old unit. Total of 10 minutes.."

A fantastic apex automobile

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Quality, technology, driving dynamics, features"

Cons: "MPG, dated navigation system"

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

"I never thought I would buy a Mercedes, let alone an S Class, but I found this 2002 last year with only 6700 miles on it and complete A and B services done 100 and 300 miles earlier (the Mercedes dealer obviously took advantage of the 80 year old widow that owned it). I have put 16K miles on it in the last year and I now understand why people spend $100K for these superb sedans. Even though it was built 11 years ago, it bristles with technology that has only begun to become available on lesser cars in the last few years. The fit and finish is impeccable, the materials are rich and beautifully crafted and the quality is everywhere. I have always found the 1999 - 2006 S class one of the most elegant and understated looking executive sedans out there, and I like the styling better than the 2007 and later. I am fond of telling people that it is the best handling living room I've ever driven. I live on the rugged north coast of California, so my "driveway" to get to the SF Bay Area for business is 60 miles of Highway 1. With the AMG Sport package and Active Body Control it is amazing how well this 4600 lb sedan hustles through the turns. Effortless acceleration, superb braking and all this while I am being coddled by heated or cooled seats with a back massage. The Distronic cruise control is amazing, I am so spoiled by it now I forget I don't have it in my other cars. The only feature that I really don't care for is the Navigation. Definitely showing its age, requires way too much clicking and twirling and it is not intuitive. On the other hand, the COMAND system that allows me to use voice commands for the sound system is great. I spent 5 hours the night I bought it reading the owner's manual and all the other manuals for the various features. Talk about an incredibly engineered and designed car! The number of small, thoughtful features just amazed me and I am now so completely spoiled by this car that I can't see much chance of ever getting something nicer. I expect this car to last for 300K miles with good care and still be as solid as a bank vault. One of the other downsides to the car to other buyers is the resale. I only paid $17,600 for what was originally a $101K car and I see that S Classes seem to be available cheap after about 6 years, although my suspicion is that it is because of maintenance costs as the mileage mounts. I don't care about that since I plan to keep the car for a very long time. I have put new tires on it ($1100 for Michelin Pilot Sports) and paid $425 for a B Service and Brake Fluid flush and replacement. Great service by the dealer, I can go to any Mercedes dealer anytime and have the car washed for free. My next scheduled service isn't for 10K miles since the last one, I consider that to be a plus since my other cars all ask for oil changes at @7500 miles. I have become a huge Mercedes fan after living with and thoroughly enjoying this beautiful piece of German engineering and design for a year. I look forward to many more."

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

Best S class ever

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Looks, reliability, fuel economy, comfort"

Cons: "none."

"This is my 4th S Class and 12th MB in 38 years of owning Mercedes and this is by far the best riding and best looking. I drive 40k/year, 95% on the hwy and I can easily go 6 hours or more and still feel fresh when I get to my destination. Fuel economy has gotten better as the car ages averaging 28+ on the hwy. Even at 270,000 miles the car still looks great and has all the power it had when new. Engine and transmission are original and aside from normal wear parts has never needed major work."

Problems with air suspension,ABC Pumps,

By on Thursday, January 06, 2011

"This car is good "BUT" has a major problem in suspension air suspension is very very expensive to fix , ABC(Active Body Control) pump went bad spend over $2000 In repairs,Humming Noise .The Major Problem with this year is Air Suspension ,Engine and trans are great .Under the Driver seat Compartment breaks easily Very light material used my Mercedes Benz .Think Twice Before you Buy 2000 to 2004 benz they have a lot of problem with Air Suspension and very costly to fixed"

Great value if purchased as a lease return

By on Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, safe, fast. On multiple hour trips this car keeps you fresh"

Cons: "few. Parts are more costly than a run of the mill car - but they last longer."

"I have had this car for car for 6 years and it has provided good value, first class comfort, amazing handling, plenty of power, and it keeps me safe. If I had to use the local Mercedes dealership to maintain the car, my rating would certainly be lower. The car is great when you have someone good maintaining it, or rather not screwing it up. The local Mercedes dealership garage would likely sabotage anything they get their hands on and then charge you an arm and a leg. They are clueless and suggest repairs that my trusted mechanic laughs about. My S430 runs like a top and has only had one flaw - something (a compressor?) in the emission system that only affects exhaust quality if it does not work. I have replaced a suspension pump, brake pads and rotors, spark plugs, battery, filters and tires - all ordinary stuff for a 9 year old car, a car that drives like it was new. These cars depreciate in their first few years, but if you buy a good used one, you get an amazing car for the same price as a cheap new car. My S430 has proved itself a value, even if it stopped working tomorrow. But I am sure, that with a honest and capable mechanic doing preventative maintenance, this car will drive like new for years to come."

very expensive for maintenance

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "handling style comfort durability"

Cons: "overall high cost to maintain"

"Have had the S55 for 10 years---terrific car fast great handling only real downside is that it's a very high maintenance car--parts are really high/limited production and due to the complex engineering--labor is also high---I have followed the MBZ guide and for normal maintenance plus things that just break I have averaged about $4500 a year in expenses----my brother has one and he has averaged about $5700 a year so have your budget set for repairs--for example the front ABS shock went bad last month $2800 to repair versus probably $450 for a Camry--if you can't set that aside you will be very soory/and shouldn't buy a S55"

So it could have been cuter.

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, prestigous in nature"

Cons: "thirsty for high-dollar fuel, not a head-turner"

"What a fun car to drive in this size class! It's roomy enough for all the folks you really want in the car and nimble enough to be treated like a sports car with all five of them in there."

Fantastic car, and a real joy to drive

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Speed, comfort, amenities"

Cons: "Price, costly repairs"

"One word sums up this car, AMAZING. Only problem with it is the price new. Wait a few years and pick up a used one to truly enjoy this one of a kind car. Elegance, style, quality and size, this one has it all. On a side note, its quicker than a vette to boot. Make sure to have a warranty, as repairs can be VERY costly."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "good on gas to be a V8, smooth ride"

Cons: "navigation system is outdated"

"Even though this car is almost ten years old, it still looks good. It handles way better than you would think a used car with 146,000 miles should. I love how much leg room it has on the back seat. The trunk is roomy and it has been wonderful on long trips. This has been an excellen!!!!!!!!! car."

Comfort, class, and performance

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and performance"

Cons: "Cost of maintenance"

"Got this car used 2 years ago and it's handling, comfort and responsiveness are unmatched. I am in the process of shopping for a new vehicle and am unable to find one that compares - the sole reason I'm looking is due to the only downfall of this vehicle, which is the cost of maintenance. All in all, it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned."

Love it

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"I have owned two 7 series BMW's in the past and this is my second S430 and this time I got one with the DVD and the 4matic drive train. Having lived in cold weather climates, the 4matic is perfect! And the DVD allows for additional entertainment. Don't let mileage scare you away from one of these...because you really don't start to break it in until you reach 100,000 miles!"

Lost value

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"Right after extended warrantee concluded, $2K - $3k has been spent every 6 months to keep her up and the value kept plumetting. Plus, Mercedes offers an insulting trade-in, even though she was always factory maintained. Advice, lease a KIA every 3 years. The merc's looks and comfort start to dwindle as she gets older and you consider the costs which continue to mount and the vehicle becomes value-less."

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great looking, fun to drive, built like a tank."

Cons: "Gas mileage and need a good radar detector"

"I purchase this car used with 50K miles. Now have 98k. I have to say this car has been impressive in every respect except fuel mileage. It is powerful and quick and handles remarkably well for a car this size. With the ABC sport mode active it is virtually impossible for the car to lose grip on tight corners at high speeds. The luxuries and amenities are incredible. Seating is super comfortable and back seat leg room is like a limo. There are so many luxuries incorporated into this car that it take two volumes of instructions just to cover them all. This car is super quiet and a blast to drive on long trips. This car was built for the autobahn and was made to go fast and be safe. Its a blast to drive! The only down side is the gas mileage but what do you expect in a car of this size and power? Also, this car was built to last. Repairs have been modest although one has to find a good independent Mercedes mechanic otherwise the dealerships will crucify you. Never-the-less this is one great car which will likely become a classic. I would highly recommend this car."

Fully loaded S430. Over $71,000 new. Runs strong,

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "20 mpg in town and 26-27 on highway"

Cons: "drivers seat starting to show wear."

"Fully loaded S430. Over $71,000 new. Runs strong, new tires, battery and always serviced on time and immaculate. Very plush Mercedes ride"

5th S class I hv had

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Drive it, ride in or want the best benz here it is"

Cons: "only thing would be it is not a 2012 S Class"

Nothing like an S Class always in style and a classic power, handling

"I have enjoyed this loaded S class the extra features such as ABC and upgraded leather and wood were just extra's on a beautiful car. I have always had a car with a warranty bought an extended warranty on this Benz. For peace of mind honestly I have not had any major things that I really needed the warranty. My suggestion would be make sure that the S Class you are looking at has had the ABC"

Nothing like an S Class always in style and a classic power, handling

LOTS OF INTERIOR ROOM; SMOOTH RIDE; COMFORTABLE

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Pros: "Safe built car."

Cons: "repair cost"

"The S500 has a very smooth ride. It drives like a dream and handles great! Looking from the outside of the car fools you about the interior room. The interior provides you with plenty of leg room in the front and back seats. Very comfortable, especially on trips. The only negative comment I have is the expense when something breaks. I had always taken my car back to the dealership but I have found a local repair shop that works only on Mercedes and that saves on cost."

Mercedes always has and continues to set the bar

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "Superior drivetrain. Majaradjah comfort / class"

Cons: "Price"

"Purchased my '06 350S in 2013 with 94k miles. Wanted the 6 cylinder for mileage purposes. The engine is typical German - bulletproof and, if maintained according to factory specs, good for 500,000 miles. The S-class stands for Superior, Sumptuous, Safe, Swift. Designed for the autobahns of Deutschland, where cars are expected to be able to cruise comfortably and effortlessly at 120mph+ for hours, the S350 performs admirably. A soccer-dad's answer to the mini van."

GORGEOUS CAR, AND STILL FUN TO DRIVE AND LOOK AT!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Superior handling and ride, just a great!"

Cons: "Resale value"

"I purchased my White with tan interior S430 with the Sports option, premium wheels, with Parktronic, keyless entry, heated"

They are the best

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "Great price the best to diversos"

"Amg are the Best driving machine ever build"

best of best

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, driving safe audio system"

Cons: "navigation should be more user friendly."

"This is exactly what a man expect from a car. It gives both luxury and secure drive experience. I strongly suggest this car for the one who wants to feel life :)"

GREAT HANDLING, SMOOTH RIDE, LOTS OF LEG ROOM

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "HEAVY CAR, FEEL SAFE"

Cons: "REPAIRS EXPENSIVE, USES PREMIUM GAS"

"REPAIRS CAN BE EXPENSIVE"

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Good value"

Cons: "High cost of maintenance"

In a road Rally

"S430 4Matic is a great package. A pleasure to drive, Great long distance car, comfortable seats. Lots of room. Good bluetooth. No AUX audio input"

In a road Rally