1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 129 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Body and Chasis remains impressive inspite of age

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Durable, dependable, and well maintained"

Cons: "no cup holders indeed. Germans loathe to drink."

"The 300 SE still maintains the prestige of a Mercedes Benz. On several occasions, a by passer would place a note on my windshield. The note would convey a message either "Want to sell this vehicle, " or "What would it take to initiate a deal."

S600 is the Ultimate Luxury

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"I have owned my 97 S600 since May 2009. Overall it has been a great, rewarding experience. As long as you are willing to pay a premium for maintenance/parts the car is well worth the upkeep (money). The S600 was $150,000 worth of Mercedes Benz technology when new so expect for that technology to go bad over time and cost a small fortune. Main issues with the car is the factory hydraulic suspension, rear sunshade, front and rear A/C, oil leaks, and operating systems causing frequent check engine lights which are expensive to diagnose and even more expensive to repair. I will only recommend this vehicle if you know a GREAT mechanic. If you rely on the dealership expect to spend $3-$5,000 per year to maintain. If you have the patience and deep pockets I would recommend the W140 S600 again and again. Hope this helps!"

Looks good BUT!

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"I have been driving MCB S Class vehicles for 24 years. I now own my last one! I get over 31 mpg on my 2001 S430 at 70 mph...HOWEVER, I am on my 4th instrument cluster, 4th battery, 3rd mass airflow sensor, and second alternator. (the first seized on the MA Tpk.) Mercedes paid all but 10% to have the rust repaired on the bottom all 4 doors. It rides great, looks like new, but I don't know what's going to fail next and the repairs are very expensive! I was told last week to expect a check engine light very soon because the mass airflow sensor is about to fail...again!"

If you can afford it.....

By on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"This is my second S class and I continue to be impressed by the quality and workmanship of these fine machines. I put over 100,000 miles on my first S500 without any major mechanical problems. The only negative was tire life. I averaged 20,000 miles on a set of tires. With the AMG package the staggered tires (bigger in the back) cost over $350 per. As I said, if you can afford it the S class is the only way to go. The S550 is another leap ahead in every respect. The electronics package is a little difficult to use (too many buttons to do something simple like changing radio stations) but all in all it is first rate. The lady's voice on the navigation is even nice! If you want to make a statement when you arrive do it in an S class. This baby is a real head turner."

Wow!

By on Sunday, May 31, 2009

"This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. And that is saying something, because I have owned Maserati's, Lamborghini's, and two Ferrari's. Would reccomend to anyone."