1996 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 126 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Excellent Car.. reliability unmatched

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

"excellent car"

An Icon

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Sound System! Feeling ghetto fab when driving."

Cons: "Gas"

"This car caught my eye while driving by a used car lot in Spring 2014. Looked like it had been sitting for a while so I told the guy 'if it starts, I'm getting it.' It started and ran shockingly well. This was a 20 year old vehicle without a spot on the carpet, the leather in the rear appeared never sat upon. The paint was bright and clear with a perfect mirror finish, not a line or detail was irregular. When driving the first thing I noticed was the absence of the most minor squeak or rattle. This was a 20 year old car in a low rent used car lot in central Phoenix, I thought to myself there is something wrong here. Turns out the 'CARFAX' appeared to be scaring people away. One owner for like 17 years but 4 in the last 3 3 of which were dealers. Seems there were a few electrical quirks in this highly engineered vehicle. Very small stuff the dealer was explaining away. The idea was to get an adult project that kept me out of trouble on weekends. After much help from MB sites and owners narrowed the quirkiness to an overcharging situation above 14V when running. This like putting this car's early brain on Meth. The advice was to try replacing the voltage regulator first and I did. Took me 3 days but I did it. Turned the key after and Bingo no longer quirky. You can ride low and slow or blow past all the Honda coupes that are trying to show off. A very fun car. As of a month ago was contemplating selling due to premium gas at 3.80 and rising, now that its 2.30 and falling think Ill wait it out. These cars if for sale are usually 4-7K and a steal considering the orig. MSRP of 98,500. Honestly looks, runs and feels like a 20 month old car."

GREAT CAR STILL A EYE CATCHER TURNS A LOT OF HEADS

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "LOVE THE LUXRY"

Cons: "YES NO CUP HOLDERS BUT I DID DESIGHN MY OWN"

"THIS IS A VERY SMOOTH RIDE HAS PLENTY OF ROOM NOT SHURE WHY THEY CHANGED THE BODY STYLE STILL GETS 30MILES TO A GAL HWY 25 CITY CAR LOOKS LIKE IT JUST DROVE OFF LOT I LOVE IT WHEN YOU GET UP AND GO IT STILL WANTS TO SHOW OFF"

Uncompromising Quality

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Rock-solid,luxurious, classic, fantastic to drive"

Cons: "hard to maintain sometimes, gas guzzler"

"The Mercedes W140 S-Class is the last car that Mercedes ever built where quality was paramount over cost. Everything is overengineered and beautifully executed. It's like driving a rolling bank vault. I'm on my second one. First one I bought new in 1995, this one I got pre-owned a few years ago. Sure, there are newer cars today with more gadgets or modern conveniences, but very few can even come close to the driving experience of this car. Once you drive it, almost everything else feels like a step down -- and the cars that do equal it today cost several hundred thousand dollars. The car is reliable in that it'll never leave you stranded, but you do need to keep up with the maintenance -- and that can get expensive, especially once they hit 100,000 miles and a lot of the secondary systems need to be refreshed. But if you're okay with proper maintenance, you'll be rewarded with one of the best cars ever made. It was designed to cover long distances at high speed in great comfort, and it manages that perfectly."

Great car

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "Big, comfortable, plenty of power"

Cons: "regular maintenance is expensive"

"Very spacious, last of the BIG Mercedes. It's like driving your living room, and has room for all your friends. Massive trunk, easily handles 4 golf bags. Although this model had the air conditioner problem (bad evaporators installed on the passenger side of the fire wall, required whole dash to be removed for repair) once that was fixed, pretty bullet proof."