• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1994 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 127 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - 100%

By on Sunday, February 08, 2009

"The Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG is a high-performance super luxury sedan, and for years, the S-Class has excelled in being a very popular luxury car. Let's begin. Under the hood of the S65 is a ridiculous 6.0 liter 604 horsepower V12 engine. Anything over 400 horsepower is impressive, anything over 500 horsepower is very impressive, and then you have the very few very talented vehicles that have over 600 horsepower. This is one of them. With that power comes an absurdly quick acceleration of 4.2 seconds from 0-60mph. That's 1.2 seconds quicker than the base and 0.2 seconds quicker than both the S600 and S63. Standard features of the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG include air conditioning w/4-zone climate controls, interior air filter, navigation system w/voice recognition, heated power tilt/telescopic wood-leather-wrapped steering wheel w/radio controls, cruise control, leather upholstery, heated 14-way power front seats, memory system, power panoramic sunroof, premium sound system, 6-disc CD changer, wireless cell phone link, universal garage door opener, power rear sunshade, massaging front and rear seats, 8-way power rear seats, power side sunshades, power trunk closing, keyless access and starting, night vision, adaptive cruise control, and rearview camera. This never-ending list of standard features will easily satisfy every single driver and passenger of the car. Despite the huge engine, the interior of the Mercedes S65 is extremely quiet. Aside from some mild thumping over sharp bumps, travel is serene with very little road or wind noise. The V12 engine is barely heard, even under full throttle. The only thing I would change about the S-Class is the fuel economy. I got 9-10 miles per gallon with a combination of city and highway driving. We know that somewhere in 2010, a Mercedes-Benz S400 Bluetec will be released, reaching about 24 miles per gallon. That's still not very satisfying gas mileage, though a huge improvement over the S65. Overall, the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG is an exceptional sedan. I am generally a nice grader, though the S-Class is an extremely quiet, extremely upscale, and extremely power full-size luxury sedan."

MB550V4 - rocks

By on Monday, April 16, 2007

"Mercedes Benz S550 4matic demonstrates what a modern luxury car should be - comfortable, powerful, intelligent and refined"

this is a very strong and solid car .

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "ALREADY SAID"

Cons: "NO CUP HOLDERS / NO NAVIGATION SYSTEM"

"I GOT VERY LUCKY WITH THIS CAR , ITS ORIGIN IS GERMANY AND BOUGHT THERE BY FIRST OWNER . I BOUGHT IT A FEW WEEKS AGO FOR 5,000 . THE BODY IS PERFECT AND PAINT IS AS GOOD AS NEW STILL ....INTERIOR LEATHER IS PERFECT CONDITION , NOT EVEN WORN ! ALL FEATURES OF CAR IN TACT AS WAS IN 1994 , I EVEN HAVE TINTED BULLETPROOF WINDOWS ALL THE WAY AROUND . SO COOL . LOL"

Finest Mercedes Ever Produced, A Maybach in 90s

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, Fun, Quiet, Tenacious, Super"

Cons: "They stopped making the Car!"

W140 Limo

"This car was the finest car ever developed by the German Automotive Company Mercedes. I have owned several of Mercedes in my life, this one is by far the best, nicest, most reliable, and most comfortable to drive. It was the Maybach of the 1990s. If you have the chance to own one someday, do yourself the favor and buy it. You will not be disappointed nor will the car ever leave you crying in the rain. She is a beast in the night and will devour any american made car in her path. I cannot say enough about what an enjoyment this car has been. I love her now and forever I will be a true blue fan of the W140."

W140 Limo

The bench mark

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"This S Class its got to be the best one yet. I drove the lexus ls460, Jaguar, and BMW7 Series, which in my opinion was the 2nd best out of the other 2. I love the way the cS class handles, the way you can drive in town or on the expressway."

This beautiful car was built with luxury!

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "You get your money's worth when you buy this car"

Cons: "The car uses a lot of gas for its large motor"

"The body of this car is strong and powerful unlike the body of the cars buit today.. I travel a lot and if you take care of this car it is very reliable. Although this car uses up a lot gas for some reason it is very good on long distance trips. The 1994 Mercedes Benz S 500 has all the comfort and luxury you'll ever need. I love this car especially my car because it has custom bullet proof windows. This is one of the best cars ever built. :+)"

BEST VEHICLE EVER!

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

"Complete perfection, my favorite car. Drives like dream..... Looks fantastic, strong, fast and reliable..... PERFECT"

The best road car i have ever driven to date

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Quality engineered nothing rides like inspiring"

"Vehicle is made of high quality materials This is the last of the over engineered Mercedes 2 tons exellent fuel economy and Beautiful in every way vehicle is 18 years old and drives like new with 170k miles"

What a car!!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I have owned my '07 S550 4Matic for 8 months. I ordered the AMG Sport Package, which in my opinion, is the best $5,600 one could spend on this car. The AMG trim really sets this vehicle apart from the standard S550. I also have the reat seat package, which made it great for the kids on a recent trip to Florida. Two complaints: (1) I would expect that Bluetooth technology be standard in a $100K car and (2) the passanger mirror tilts downward when in reverse, but the driver's mirror does not. This is my first Benz, and will definitely not be my last. It is such a pleasure to drive and gets plenty of looks from other drivers."

An Icon

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Sound System! Feeling ghetto fab when driving."

Cons: "Gas"

"This car caught my eye while driving by a used car lot in Spring 2014. Looked like it had been sitting for a while so I told the guy 'if it starts, I'm getting it.' It started and ran shockingly well. This was a 20 year old vehicle without a spot on the carpet, the leather in the rear appeared never sat upon. The paint was bright and clear with a perfect mirror finish, not a line or detail was irregular. When driving the first thing I noticed was the absence of the most minor squeak or rattle. This was a 20 year old car in a low rent used car lot in central Phoenix, I thought to myself there is something wrong here. Turns out the 'CARFAX' appeared to be scaring people away. One owner for like 17 years but 4 in the last 3 3 of which were dealers. Seems there were a few electrical quirks in this highly engineered vehicle. Very small stuff the dealer was explaining away. The idea was to get an adult project that kept me out of trouble on weekends. After much help from MB sites and owners narrowed the quirkiness to an overcharging situation above 14V when running. This like putting this car's early brain on Meth. The advice was to try replacing the voltage regulator first and I did. Took me 3 days but I did it. Turned the key after and Bingo no longer quirky. You can ride low and slow or blow past all the Honda coupes that are trying to show off. A very fun car. As of a month ago was contemplating selling due to premium gas at 3.80 and rising, now that its 2.30 and falling think Ill wait it out. These cars if for sale are usually 4-7K and a steal considering the orig. MSRP of 98,500. Honestly looks, runs and feels like a 20 month old car."

MY BEAUTIFUL S550!!!

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"An excellent spectacular car to drive. Performance is fast, best S class i have ever owned! Love the electronic trunk closer and harmon kardon sound, and etc!! In addition i like it better than my E class and my previous Mercedes Benz(s) i have owned as well as my BMW 7 series!"

Uncompromising Quality

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Rock-solid,luxurious, classic, fantastic to drive"

Cons: "hard to maintain sometimes, gas guzzler"

"The Mercedes W140 S-Class is the last car that Mercedes ever built where quality was paramount over cost. Everything is overengineered and beautifully executed. It's like driving a rolling bank vault. I'm on my second one. First one I bought new in 1995, this one I got pre-owned a few years ago. Sure, there are newer cars today with more gadgets or modern conveniences, but very few can even come close to the driving experience of this car. Once you drive it, almost everything else feels like a step down -- and the cars that do equal it today cost several hundred thousand dollars. The car is reliable in that it'll never leave you stranded, but you do need to keep up with the maintenance -- and that can get expensive, especially once they hit 100,000 miles and a lot of the secondary systems need to be refreshed. But if you're okay with proper maintenance, you'll be rewarded with one of the best cars ever made. It was designed to cover long distances at high speed in great comfort, and it manages that perfectly."

This car is one of the smoothes cars ive owned.

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "great price, drive awsome"

Cons: "cup holder in back seat. car was made for luxury"

"This care is very reliable. Maintenance is kind of high. But hey its a Mercedes Benz. This car commands attention where ever you go."

99 s500 the last of the big s class flagships.

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "engineering at its best"

Cons: "expensive parts,insurance"

"looked for this exact vehicle for over 7 years.Many of the grand editions were shipped overseas..Soon to be a collector luxury car."

One of the best cars I have ever driven.

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Quality, attention to detail, and the status."

Cons: "Interior fan, power trunk pull down, fuel economy."

"It is a fantastic car, but it has some of the inescapable W140 issues, being the headlight washing system doesn't work, the front interior fan doesn't work due to a bad resistor, and the self-closing trunk doesn't pull itself down anymore. But, it is absolutely the best driving large luxury car ever made, and still retains its comfortable ride. And the sheer attention to detail in this car is absolutely unbelieveable. Over all, I wouldn't trade this car for the world."

great car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"Solid, elegant, comfortable,"

The best S Klasse ever

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "corners good"

Cons: "weak stock rims will bend easy"

"I bought my car used,pretty quick for a six.But wanting to beat GTs,I installed a nitrous 125 hp shot.1/4 mile times went from 17.5 stock,to 15.1.When you want to save fuel she will get 29 mpg highway."

As good as it gets

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Waited 22 months to get a fully loaded S-550 and it was well worth the wait. Best handling and performing car I've ever owned. Dynamic Drive Front Seats with side cushions that inflate to hold you in place during turns is awesome, Cruise control that will bring you to a complete stop without touching anything in traffic is wonderful. Ride is silky smooth, yet corners very well, especially at high speeds, but then the servo-driven leveling when cornering is excellent. I'd wait again to have this car. The only negative is that the windshield wiper control (typical "smart stick") is hidden from view by one of the steering wheel spokes."

Very nice ride...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Excellent vehicle, good value, very powerful, very well balanced. Touch the accelerator and this baby goes!!!"

FELT LIKE A QUEEN DRIVING IT !!!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: MONEY

"THIS CAR WAS TOP-NOTCH EVEN THO" IT WAS 10YEARS OLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT. IT RODE AND DROVE LIKE A DREAM! I ONLY SOLD IT BECAUSE I NEEDED THE MONEY."

Underpowered, but otherwise a great car

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "BIG, very comfortable and quiet inside"

Cons: "underpowered and NO cupholders"

"If it only had a more powerful engine..... Better than the old 240 or the 80th model 300sd BUT still WAY underpowered. Besides that a great car to drive and very reliable. Purchased it new in 1993 and 207000 miles later still running great. Besides a new turbo at 190k miles a new cam at 204k and the usual vacuum issues, no problems at all. Love my car. Great fuel mileage on the interstate, not so great in town. But at almost 5000lbs it's no surprise. Getting almost 700 miles out of one tank on the highway at 70+ mph."

excellent car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "fUN TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NONE"

"car only driven in summer months. No rust. DRIVES LIKE THE DAY I BOUGHT."

Best vehicle I ever owned ever.

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Excellent car."

By on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Expensive piece of junk

By on Sunday, March 28, 2010

"The latest Mercedes seem to have a lot of problems. The service departments are very busy trying to catch up. We have complained to Mercedes about many of the problems, but they do not seem to do anything about it. The three point star use to mean quality, but cost saving attempts have rendered it junk. My demo was in the shop 11 times in 45 days. Yes MB covers the repairs, but what a pain. Our dealership also sells many other makes and I know have a great Lincoln. A third the price and better quality. My money would go to Lincoln."