• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1994 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 128 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Not bad

By on Saturday, February 28, 2009

"This is a luxury 205 in sedan, there are many problems in mechanisms, however this car is one of the best in the class. Although it has a very exquisive appearance it is very expensive and you have to pay a 1,000 dollar gas guzzler tax. If you are willing to buy this car it is recommended that you keep it well. Beats the BMW 7 series and the Lexus LS models."

good ride

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Cons: "gas"

"Excellent ride very roomy. mileage could be better but it's a Mercedes"

The best car on the road!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Great handling and mpg. Holds its value."

Cons: "RWD only. Expensive parts."

"I fell in love with this since the first day I saw it!. I was looking for a s420 but found this beautiful s320 with only 80,000 miles and knew that I had to have it! Everything was still in good working condition.1 owner car.Only thing I replaced were the wheels and tires to make it look better.Plus installed HID's. Car runs like a champ and it gets a lot of attention on the road or parked on the streets."

Just Plain Amazing

By on Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Bought this car with 99000 miles I've only put 1000 on it and i don't want to keep driving it cause its so amazing nothing is wrong except for a front side panel is missing the seats are comfortable to the extreme and suprisingly, the AC works wonders. Love it!"

Expensive!

By on Thursday, March 10, 2011

"This car will run between $1,000 and $5,000 every time you take it to a dealer - for even a minor problem! Also with the the electronics on this car, you can not fix it yourself unless you have the STAR diagnostic tools - not a cheap code reader."

Pretty Nice Vehicle

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"When I bought my first Mercedes-Benz, I bought a fully loaded S550. Amazing! I am mesmerized by the premium leather upgrade on my car and love the capri blue metallic color. The ABC option is great as well as the Rear Seat Package and the front seat massage is a nice touch...However, this car has its downs. Every time I drive it, I notice the flimsy interior quality. Everything rattles on bumpy roads and freeways and the plastics are very fragile on the car. I would NOT recommend this car to someone with small children, they will break it very easily. Besides that, this car is definitely a head turner. However, only buy this car if you can afford new tires every 20 - 30 thousand miles."

Big Benz

By on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

"The Big Benz is the best large luxury sedan on the market, bar none. Performance is great. Build quality is bullet-proof. Styling is progressive. Comfort and ergonomic features front and rear are wonderful. Around town or as a long distance cruiser, you will not find a better luxury sedan from any manufacturer. Highly recommended."

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"The level of refinement of this car is much higher than other MB's I have had in the past. I look forward to my 60 mi. commute for the first time. I have driven my S550 9,000 miles and it has averaged 22 mpg so far. Quite good given the size and power of the car. The only complaint I have had is minor rattling in rear doors which I have not had fixed yet."

2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S65 Sedan 4D

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Awesome vehicle. Never a problem, and no complaints other than fuel mileage. I bought this new and realized the fuel mileage was not going to be the best for this make and model. Very quiet, very comfortable and easy to drive long distances. Highly recommended for anyone who appreciates a kuxury vehicle."

BEST CAR!!

By on Saturday, June 09, 2007

"great!!"

Built like a tank with a legendary motor

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Quality, options, comfort"

Cons: "Gas guzzler, window regulators, check engine light"

"The first thing you notice about the S class is its size. This car is large and in charge, it demands respect on the road. Most everyone recognizes the car as a symbol of quality and class. The interior is very roomy and very comfortable. The options and features were ahead of their time. Power seats, windows, sunroof, and even powered rear view mirror! The inventors of the soft close doors rolled the technology out with this production car. There are many pros to list on this car, lets cover some of the cons. I have owned 5 different year models of the S class (this body style) and EVERY one of them had the check engine light on. The system is hyper sensitive and the light comes on if the air cleaner is dirty. Having to look it is annoying. Another con is the window regulators, with windows so heavy and tight fitting, you will have a lot of regulators that go bad. Cheap to buy the parts, and takes a few hours to replace. Gas mileage is an issue considering how heavy this beast is. It takes a lot to move it but has a very smooth ride."

best & last of the classic mercedes sedan

By on Saturday, February 21, 2015

"This is the sedan that became a classic because of the amazing construction and features that set the goal for all future mercedes to achieve. This is the last year that mercedes was truly the ultimate sedan and the one to aspire to one day own. Find one in excellent condition and you will not be dissapointed, you will be envied!"

best car

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "...."

"awesome vehicle no problems has a great get up and go. mine is perfect condition and rear seat recliners are awesome, great mileage if you drive right recommended this car to everyone, i would say most reliable car ive owned, plus there built like tanks"

Best friend of car enthusiasts

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cons: "nothing with a capital n."

"Great vehicle, comfort, and reliability. Smooth in all areas of use and drive-ability. Drive one of these and know coolness. My favorite car ever! Easy to work on also, come on, think...most times rich people own these, car mechs can make a killing on fixing them because they were made for mechs to fix quick and easy, and, for them, to be very profitable."

Absolutely Love This Car

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"After driving American made cars for the last 30 years, I decided to seek out and get the best car made - period. The newly designed S-550 won hands down. I love the quiet, smooth, comfortable ride, with plenty of power when you need it. And it is very quiet. The electronics are excellent with redundant controlls, and the voice recognition system rarely misunderstands my commands. My wife, who had been a Lexus fan, got so jealous of my new S-550 that she traded in her LS430 for a new S-550 of her own."

Poor Quality Control

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"This is my 4th Mercedes Benz. The older models were definately better made. I have had my S for about 2 years. Comfort is outstanding as is styling. Performance is great and driving it is smooth. The electrical system and trim pieces are worse than a Yugo. It seems that MB has picked the lowest bidder for any plastic parts on the vehicle. The visor flip up turn on the light - well, it's supposed to. I've been through three passenger and two driver side visors. The storage compartment plastic desintigrated the second time it was used. Same for the cup holder. Wood trim cracks. I do not abuse my vehicles and do not even eat in it. It's just plain poor quality control. Service and warranty is good - it better be since it's in the service department as much as it is in my garage. I'll definately have to sell it before the warranty runs out."

I love this model for the reason i feel safe in it

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, easy to work engine,"

Cons: "fuel milage"

Reno NV

"This is my second Mercedes i owned. I bought it with 105k miles on it for $9k. Now i Have 140k in less than 3 years. I feel safe and secure in it. It has being very reliable even with the high mileage. Two of my ignition coil have gone bad but i bought each one one of them for a 100$. Dealer will charge you probably 800.00 or so to replace 1 or 1600.00 to replace all of them. my cost was 120.00 total for both. The reason is once i diagnosed the issue i was able to replace the parts my self. IT IS THE EASIEST ENGINE TO WORK ON. I did not get bloody knuckles like working on other cars. If you are mechanically inclined you can on a Mercedes too and afford to keep it."

Reno NV

Solid dependable excellent vehicle

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

"I've owned this car for 16 years. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's like fine wine, gets better with age. While I also own a 2007 S550. This is my vehicle of choice."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 05, 2011

"1998 S420-GREAT LUXURIOUS BENZ.. LIMO LIKE QUALITY AND FEEL.. SO MANY FEATURES AVAILABLE .. DOORS THAT CLOSE BY THEMSELVES , POWER ASSIST TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL FULLY POWERED SEATS THAT MOVE IN ANY DIRECTION, AIR-RIDE SUSPENSION, 26.5 GALLON FUEL TANK THAT GIVES ABOUT 500 MILES ON A FULL-TANK OF GAS, DRIVES SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER...E.T.C... SO MUCH MORE BUT NO SPACE TO WRITE IT ALL.."

The Best car in the face of the planet

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"How can I summarize to let you know how impressed I was when I bought my first Mercedes Benz? I had BMW’s before and they were great cars, I trade it my Lexus LS460L for this phenomenal S Class. What a difference in the drive, how it feels and the way it makes you feel. Being behind the wheel of an S Class gives you the control of the road without compromising the quality of the ride. Mercedes Benz scored a Home run with this beautiful car in my opinion. I know for a fact that after driving my LS460 and having the problems I did in the first 11,560 miles I need to make a change. The reason why I bought the Lexus was because of price. But what a huge mistake that was, I had the car at the dealer for repairs with the suspension that could not be resolved. Wind noise which if you check any Lexus forums it mentions how a lot people are unhappy with the road noise. Do yourself a favor and buy a Mercedes Benz S Class and you will appreciated"

Great car

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "Big, comfortable, plenty of power"

Cons: "regular maintenance is expensive"

"Very spacious, last of the BIG Mercedes. It's like driving your living room, and has room for all your friends. Massive trunk, easily handles 4 golf bags. Although this model had the air conditioner problem (bad evaporators installed on the passenger side of the fire wall, required whole dash to be removed for repair) once that was fixed, pretty bullet proof."

Owner of 1995 s500 and 1993 s320

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Tank-Like construction, Safety First then Economy"

Cons: "Fuel consumption - still a very gas-thrifty tank"

"Having owned an s320 (1993) decided to try an s500/s600. Found an s500 with 39700 original miles for $2500. An offer was made and nobody else did so here it is. Advantages over the s320 are Acceleration and having a 1st gear when shifter is in "B". For the rest, the s320 is easier to maintain and has less problematic options that may go crazy in the future, like hydraulic rear suspension, more heat in the engine compartment (can't imagine the v12), rear reclining seat, rear "electric" headrests and so on. If you like the shape, an s320 is the basic option. If you like power (and less mpg) then an s500 or s600 are the options. V12 is even more expensive to maintain as it is basically to 6 cyl engines mated. So almost everything will be doubled when maintaining it. If you want an s320 and need 1st gear (hills for example), get one 1997-1999. They have the "s/w" switch for Summer and Winter. Summer starts in 1st gear and Winter in 2nd gear. The s320's and s500's prior to 1997 (including the 420's) start in 2nd gear always unless you select "B" in the s500 (the s320 does not have that). Keep in mind this is a very safe car and that life and safety can not be measured in either MPG or dollars per month."

WILL NEVER LET GO!

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

"PURCHASED IN 2000 WITH 78000, I THINK THE BEST FULL SIZE SEDAN EVER BUILT, LIKE A TANK. I HAD IT REPAINTED, AND EVERYBODY LOVES IT SEEING IT. VERY DEPENDABLE, QUEIT RIDE,"

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"If you are considering the Lexus LS 460 or the BMW 7 series, DON'T!!! I have owned the LS 460 for a year then I traded it in on the S550. Best car decision in my whole life!!! The quality is superb, good engine, good mileage for a V-8, and technology that is amazing. My Lexus cannot even compete with this machine. The BMW is good too, but not nearly as good looking. If you are debating, please don't be fooled, this is the real deal!!"

Wonderful Class Act

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Great experience to own"

Cons: "Ridiculous resale for such a remarkable car"

"The Merc S600 Coupe is a magic carpet. Pulls like a freight train, smooth as butter, silent like no other car is. The conveniences put other cars of the day, or even today, into a rather drab class. Even though it's 20 years old parts are readily available. While things do break over that time, the car, by and large, is really reliable. It's crazy to think that a $140k car could sell for such small money today. Not only is it a better ride than current Benzes, but better than any car you can name, Rolls included (gross HP notwithstanding, though with nearly 400HP it's no slouch). Fuel economy, never a strong point for V-12s, is a reasonable 20 MPG on the highway and 15 in town (real-world driving). It's cheap to do an electronics upgrade on this delightful machine, and with it, there's nothing better featured or experienced. Everyone should have a V-12 once in a lifetime, and this is the one to have."